Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #9,961 of 10,664
This is with the headphone jack. No matter what I set the max volume setting to be, 0% "feels like" about 25%. The only way I've found to work around it is to apply a flat EQ curve which is pretty annoying.

My rockboxed Ipod also does not behave that way. My volume decreases down to nothing. Rockbox has its own forum. You could also post your problem there.

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #9,962 of 10,664
This is with the headphone jack. No matter what I set the max volume setting to be, 0% "feels like" about 25%. The only way I've found to work around it is to apply a flat EQ curve which is pretty annoying.
What kind of headphones you using? I used to listen only at 0 with my very sensitive in ears, I could never find away around it. Increasing the volume would make them too loud also.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #9,963 of 10,664
What kind of headphones you using? I used to listen only at 0 with my very sensitive in ears, I could never find away around it. Increasing the volume would make them too loud also.

This is with IEMs, over ears, bluetooth Minirig and line-out to 2000W stereo power amp. All the same result. It never goes to 0.

Sounds like a hardware fault with that particular ipod. I've never seen anyone report that issue with Rockbox as such, and as I say I've used a couple of dozen rockboxed ipods and not had that happen. Seems very odd. Are you saying the same thing doesn't happen with the original firmware?

Only other thing I can think of is Rockbox got corrupted somehow when installed.

Wow, good thinking. I never thought it was possible for there to be a physical error like that. Finally got round to installing iTunes to test (yuck) and you're right!

OF:

Rockbox:

The volume is a lot louder in real life with the headphones on at the zero setting. In fact, it's too loud for listening in a quiet place on minimum.

Sounds like a hardware fault with that particular ipod. I've never seen anyone report that issue with Rockbox as such, and as I say I've used a couple of dozen rockboxed ipods and not had that happen. Seems very odd. Are you saying the same thing doesn't happen with the original firmware?

Only other thing I can think of is Rockbox got corrupted somehow when installed.

Though what do you mean by setting the "max" volume setting? You are saying when you turn the volume down to 0 it doesn't go silent?

Is this with a modded ipod, and if so, ssd or sd card? And what version of rockbox and with dual-boot or emcore?

It seems this isn't a Rockbox issue but for the record it's with quad SD cards, dual boot and the Max Volume setting I am referring to is in Settings > Playback > Maximum Volume Level.

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #9,964 of 10,664
This is with IEMs, over ears, bluetooth Minirig and line-out to 2000W stereo power amp. All the same result. It never goes to 0.

Wow, good thinking. I never thought it was possible for there to be a physical error like that. Finally got round to installing iTunes to test (yuck) and you're right!

OF:

Rockbox:

The volume is a lot louder in real life with the headphones on at the zero setting. In fact, it's too loud for listening in a quiet place on minimum.

It seems this isn't a Rockbox issue but for the record it's with quad SD cards, dual boot and the Max Volume setting I am referring to is in Settings > Playback > Maximum Volume Level.

Having said I've never had this happen, now I come to think of it, I _do_ have a dim memory of exactly this issue, years ago when I first started messing with ipods. It may have been an ssd mod back then. Not much help as I can't remember how it got fixed, though it must have done because I don't still have an ipod that does it. Either that or it went on to die completely! Perhaps try putting the original drive back and see if that makes any difference?

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #9,965 of 10,664
Anyone seen thi issue before? iPod 5.5G appears to be charging, but is not actually charging? I installed a new battery thinking it was a battery issue, and same problem. Anyone know where to go?

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #9,966 of 10,664
Anyone seen thi issue before? iPod 5.5G appears to be charging, but is not actually charging? I installed a new battery thinking it was a battery issue, and same problem. Anyone know where to go?
I had the same issue on a seventh generation. It was a bad connection between the battery and battery connector after I broke the latch of the connector . I glued it in, now it’s working fine.

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #9,967 of 10,664
Yes, in my experience it's usually a charge port / connector issue. I spray isopropyl alcohol (ideally 100%) in both charger plug and ipod jack, and then plug it in and out 5-10 times, respraying in between. You can also scrub the jack clean with the IPA and a clean toothbrush gently beforehand to get any large particles out. Using a brand new cable also helps, I had some intermittent issues even after cleaning but got a new 30pin cable and charging is consistent now.

It could also be a bad solder joint inside the ipod but I haven't had a problem with that. Unfortunately it can be tricky to diagnose the exact problem, hope you get it resolved.

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #9,968 of 10,664
Having said I've never had this happen, now I come to think of it, I _do_ have a dim memory of exactly this issue, years ago when I first started messing with ipods. It may have been an ssd mod back then. Not much help as I can't remember how it got fixed, though it must have done because I don't still have an ipod that does it. Either that or it went on to die completely! Perhaps try putting the original drive back and see if that makes any difference?
Original drive no longer exists. I've done a hacky workaround with the EQ which is less annoying than opening the iPod again anyway.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #9,969 of 10,664
Anyone out there who does IPod classic mods for you (vs DIY) ie maybe using yours as a donor? I have one and like it / but would be willing to pay a bit to hot rod it - particularly for even better sound quality.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #9,971 of 10,664
Anyone out there who does IPod classic mods for you (vs DIY) ie maybe using yours as a donor? I have one and like it / but would be willing to pay a bit to hot rod it - particularly for even better sound quality.
There used to be loads on ebay with that type of service maybe have a look?

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #9,972 of 10,664
Has anyone found a source for the clear plastic cases for the thick ipod video/classics? ive been searching everywhere but cant seem to find them for sale anywhere anymore.

I guess you mean an external case, rather than a replacement housing?

Cases for the thick ipods seem as rare as hen's teeth (other than the soft "silicone" ones). Transparent ones seem to be non-existent. I'm still using the one I bought with my very first ipod classic, long before flash mods existed! (If I'd known, I'd have bought a dozen of them back then and waited to sell them at a vast profit! I wonder where all that stock has gone?).

Also the classics and video are different sizes, cases for the video are very slightly too large for the classics, I did find a transparent case for the thick video a few years ago, but it broke.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #9,974 of 10,664
I guess you mean an external case, rather than a replacement housing?
Yeah, external case. I actually have a few of the clear faceplates & clickwheels, saving them for a future build.
Cases for the thick ipods seem as rare as hen's teeth (other than the soft "silicone" ones). Transparent ones seem to be non-existent. I'm still using the one I bought with my very first ipod classic, long before flash mods existed! (If I'd known, I'd have bought a dozen of them back then and waited to sell them at a vast profit! I wonder where all that stock has gone?).

Also the classics and video are different sizes, cases for the video are very slightly too large for the classics, I did find a transparent case for the thick video a few years ago, but it broke.
I know, i used to have a thick case, i think from Belkin, back when i had a 240gb drive in one of my classics. Sadly, she is long gone, and i cant find another.

This time around im building a white 5.5 gen, and wanted a clear case because i like the look of the white faceplate. It will require a thick back, which is why i need a thick case.
If i cant find a thick case for a video, ill switch to a classic faceplate and use a case for a classic instead. So really, i just need a case for a thick ipod, regardless of whether its a video or a classic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back