Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #9,931 of 10,664
Rats - my slim quad-pod died on me. Upon openning it up (which proved a huge struggle - funny how some ipods open and re-open very easily while other seem to become almost cold-welded shut) it turns out that two of the 200gb cards in there have failed - one now suffers from the delusion that it's a 1TB card with multiple partitions! (reformatting and rewriting the MBR doesn't make any difference) and the other has a bad sector on it. Quite puzzled why two out of 4 cards suddenly failed after a couple of years of use, and even more puzzled why that caused the thing to just die entirely, showing no sign of life at all. After opening and reassembling the power came back,. then found the card corruption.

Replaced the cards (with 256gb cards as those seem quite cheap right now, giving a total of 1.12TB!), but quite nervous that the thing might freak out again once I get it synced and running again. Wondering if some sort of hardware glitch killed those two cards. Syncing is going to take an age, as well.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #9,932 of 10,664
i sure wish i knew what to do to diagnose my problem. i use a tarkan quad with 4 200gb cards and rockbox, 5g Video. one day i was charging via usb on a laptop and disconnected before safely removing in windows. next time i try to power it up i get the support link/sad ipod icon and then a low battery warning. i have charged the 3000mAh battery over two days now and i managed to keep it in disk mode, but everytime i try to connect to a pc it starts to power cycle again. only got itunes to recognize it twice as needing formatted and before i could click the button the ipod started powering off/on again, my imac doesn't recognize it at all. my biggest frustration is that in disk mode, i see a fully charged, inanimate battery icon but it still has the lightning bolt as opposed to the plug that you normally see with a full charge, so i don't even know if it's fully charged and just needs to be to get out of the power cycle loop. any ideas?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #9,933 of 10,664
i sure wish i knew what to do to diagnose my problem. i use a tarkan quad with 4 200gb cards and rockbox, 5g Video. one day i was charging via usb on a laptop and disconnected before safely removing in windows. next time i try to power it up i get the support link/sad ipod icon and then a low battery warning. i have charged the 3000mAh battery over two days now and i managed to keep it in disk mode, but everytime i try to connect to a pc it starts to power cycle again. only got itunes to recognize it twice as needing formatted and before i could click the button the ipod started powering off/on again, my imac doesn't recognize it at all. my biggest frustration is that in disk mode, i see a fully charged, inanimate battery icon but it still has the lightning bolt as opposed to the plug that you normally see with a full charge, so i don't even know if it's fully charged and just needs to be to get out of the power cycle loop. any ideas?
I would test it with another battery to see if the problem is a bad battery.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #9,934 of 10,664
I would test it with another battery to see if the problem is a bad battery.
When I first managed to get it into disk mode, that battery icon was not full. I forgot to mention that part, which to me should at least mean it's not dead. Right now it looks full but I don't understand why it has the lightning bolt instead of the plug if so. I just want to avoid reopening if at all possible

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #9,935 of 10,664
All this is why I gave up on the modded ipod in all honesty. The irony being I picked the r6 which is showing signs of instability now as well :frowning2: Crap wifi (never a problem with the 5th gen ipod classic anyway :p), not seeing the card necessitating a reboot and so on.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #9,937 of 10,664
Well I just wish I knew why what I'm experiencing would be a battery failure compared to something else

Can only say the problem I had above went like this:

Ipod playing perfectly well (as it has been for a year or two)....suddenly dies completely mid-song. Connecting to power didn't help. What did help was opening it up and dsimantling and reassembling (battery and iflash) whereupon it came back to life but gave weird errors. Testing the memory cards outside of the ipod showed two of the four were now faulty. Replaced those cards, closed it up, resynced and, so far, it seems to be working fine again, with same battery but 2 new cards.

I mention it because it seems faults can manifest as if they were different kinds of fault from what they actually are (it seemed like a battery failure at first, but turns out its failed cards....or maybe the battery freaked-out for a moment and killed the cards? Lord alone knows), so probably you need to start by opening the thing up and at the very least check connections and re-assemble it and then try replacing components one-by-one, starting with the battery. As it's a 5G openning it up shouldn't be a big deal anyway, those things open fairly easily.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #9,938 of 10,664
turns out the tarkan adapter came undone. who knows how, but i don't need to reformat anything and the battery is mostly charged now! I always cause minor wear when I open them so wanted to avoid it unless necessary but it was a quick fix and no harm done

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,939 of 10,664
turns out the tarkan adapter came undone. who knows how, but i don't need to reformat anything and the battery is mostly charged now! I always cause minor wear when I open them so wanted to avoid it unless necessary but it was a quick fix and no harm done

I've had my adapter detach multiple times. One time when I dropped the iPod. Other times without an exact cause. I think walking, driving, ect slowly causes the adapter to detach. This last time I taped the adapter to its connector as was suggested on this thread. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Also, opening the iPod video shouldn't cause any damage. Use the "Flexible Pry Tool" from Tarkan's website, the iSesamo or similar tool. By looking at my ipods, you can't tell they have been opened.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #9,940 of 10,664
Hey!

IMHO bad batteries and/or boards mark the difference. I ve had all kind of issues with some of my modded iPods. Never worked well. But the 5.5 I have used used (still do) on daily basis for more than ten years, last six years on this config : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/off...-ssd-mod-thread.566780/page-622#post-13907123 works like charm. Zero issues except sometimes I have dropped it and the SDXC got loose (and just had to readjust it ) A good battery-good board-simple mod (single SDXC on thin iFlash adapter ) combo seems to work. Maybe that single card is more stable and dual/quad , I couldn´t say.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #9,941 of 10,664
I find myself weirdly irked by the way ebay is now full of sellers selling modded ipods (at what seem to be fairly large markups). I feel like this was supposed to be a DIY thing!

I guess it's good for Tarkan though.

Wish someone would produce some anodised front plates in colors other than the standard ones plus red/gold. Why not green or blue, eh? Come on, enterprising Chinese manufacturers, do something new...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #9,942 of 10,664
I find myself weirdly irked by the way ebay is now full of sellers selling modded ipods (at what seem to be fairly large markups). I feel like this was supposed to be a DIY thing!

I guess it's good for Tarkan though.

Wish someone would produce some anodised front plates in colors other than the standard ones plus red/gold. Why not green or blue, eh? Come on, enterprising Chinese manufacturers, do something new...

Some people just like to buy one and be done with it. Surprised ebay allow it though as there was a time they frowned on them.

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #9,944 of 10,664
Hi everyone I'm a new entry.

I have read several pages about here the Ipod and any upgrading but I cannot have the time to read all 600 pages.
I have an ipod 7gen 160 gb with hd broken for some time, I would not install rock box but I want to keep the functions original.
I misunderstood or can not exceed 128 GB with ssd or other cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back