Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #9,722 of 10,664
Hi, I had a scan through the thread but didn't find the particular info I was looking for, so thought I'd ask...

I want to mod an 80gb 5th (5.5?) gen with SD card storage. But what I'd also like to do is fit the slimmer back from a 30gb model. My question is, can I simply swap the back from a 30gb 5/5.5 model onto an 80gb 5.5 model - I assume I'd need to use the 30gb battery as I expect the 80gb makes use of the extra space and uses a bigger battery, but is the headphone jack and associated cabling (hold switch, etc) the same - can I continue to use the 80gb headphone jack and gumpf, or do I need to carry that over with the 30gb back? Reason for asking is I can just buy a nice shiny new 30gb back and swap the headphone stuff into it from the 80 (I'd put a new battery in unless the 80gb battery would fit, which I doubt - I'd be using one of Tarkan's boards, probably the Dual SD one, if that makes any difference to the battery issue)

Many thanks!

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #9,723 of 10,664
Hi, I had a scan through the thread but didn't find the particular info I was looking for, so thought I'd ask...

I want to mod an 80gb 5th (5.5?) gen with SD card storage. But what I'd also like to do is fit the slimmer back from a 30gb model. My question is, can I simply swap the back from a 30gb 5/5.5 model onto an 80gb 5.5 model - I assume I'd need to use the 30gb battery as I expect the 80gb makes use of the extra space and uses a bigger battery, but is the headphone jack and associated cabling (hold switch, etc) the same - can I continue to use the 80gb headphone jack and gumpf, or do I need to carry that over with the 30gb back? Reason for asking is I can just buy a nice shiny new 30gb back and swap the headphone stuff into it from the 80 (I'd put a new battery in unless the 80gb battery would fit, which I doubt - I'd be using one of Tarkan's boards, probably the Dual SD one, if that makes any difference to the battery issue)

Many thanks!

The headphone jack/hold switch is slightly different between thick/thin back. There are ways to kludge it, but I'd really say it was better to get a jack that will fit the back plate you are using.

With dual adaptor you need the battery specific to the slim case models. Or you could stick with the thick back, save the money on the new headphone jack and instead get one of the 1900-3000mah ones.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #9,724 of 10,664
Thanks for that. So really, the new replacement (slim) back isn't really gonna work unless I put in a replacement headphone jack and battery - maybe then a better idea might be just transfer the back, complete with battery and headphone jack, from a 30gb to an 80gb. That is, if the connectors are the same? I assumed by "slightly different" we were talking size as opposed to plug-in compatibility.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #9,725 of 10,664
Thanks for that. So really, the new replacement (slim) back isn't really gonna work unless I put in a replacement headphone jack and battery - maybe then a better idea might be just transfer the back, complete with battery and headphone jack, from a 30gb to an 80gb. That is, if the connectors are the same? I assumed by "slightly different" we were talking size as opposed to plug-in compatibility.

Yea. Just different size bits where they mount in the backplate.
If using thick back, maybe consider the oversized batteries mentioned frequently in this thread.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #9,726 of 10,664
I think I'd prefer the slimmer back over extended battery life. I've never been let down with the battery life of my first 5th gen or current 6th gen, so I will probably have a go at swapping the complete back from a 30gb onto an 80 - if I can get a dead 30gb I can just harvest the parts, if I can get a working one I can swap the complete back from the 80gb over to it and sell it on. Thanks again

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #9,727 of 10,664
Hey guys,

Long time ago I started experiencing this weird issue where a very thin (1px wide I guess) horizontal line would appear on my display. It started as a very short, small line (I’d say as long as the battery icon), and then as time would pass the line would grow longer and longer. At some point it was covering half of the display. Today I have this:

Photo 10-5-18, 12 12 50.jpg

Photo 10-5-18, 12 13 01.jpg

What is really weird though is that there have been periods of time where part of the line disappears (i.e. the line gets shorter), and then after a few days it’s become longer again. Because of this I’d say it’s obvious these are not dead pixels.

The line looks black when the background is white, and it shows a different tone when the background is black during startup. When the screen light goes off the line seems to disappear, however if you put the iPod under very bright sunlight you’ll see it’s there even though almost unnoticeable. On the other hand, if you notice there are some very small dots at the right end of the line too, which in person look reddish.

Finally, you can see there are what seem to be a few particles of dust or dirt on the other side of the cristal/plastic. Is that “normal”? Could it be somehow related? I’ve opened up the iPod several times, but I’ve never touched the display. I’ve just changed the battery, the hard drive by Tarkan’s adaptor and put the latest in place whenever my iPod have fallen from my pocket.

I’d have to add that the first time I opened up my iPod the case got a little bent after trying too hard. Because of this there is some room between the front and back case on the bottom-right side of the device and in the dock area, but I don’t think it should be that serious as to allow crap get as far as to the display.

Photo 10-5-18, 12 15 39.jpg

Photo 10-5-18, 12 16 10.jpg

What could be causing this?

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #9,728 of 10,664
Hey guys,

Long time ago I started experiencing this weird issue where a very thin (1px wide I guess) horizontal line would appear on my display. It started as a very short, small line (I’d say as long as the battery icon), and then as time would pass the line would grow longer and longer. At some point it was covering half of the display. Today I have this:

What is really weird though is that there have been periods of time where part of the line disappears (i.e. the line gets shorter), and then after a few days it’s become longer again. Because of this I’d say it’s obvious these are not dead pixels.

The line looks black when the background is white, and it shows a different tone when the background is black during startup. When the screen light goes off the line seems to disappear, however if you put the iPod under very bright sunlight you’ll see it’s there even though almost unnoticeable. On the other hand, if you notice there are some very small dots at the right end of the line too, which in person look reddish.

Finally, you can see there are what seem to be a few particles of dust or dirt on the other side of the cristal/plastic. Is that “normal”? Could it be somehow related? I’ve opened up the iPod several times, but I’ve never touched the display. I’ve just changed the battery, the hard drive by Tarkan’s adaptor and put the latest in place whenever my iPod have fallen from my pocket.

I’d have to add that the first time I opened up my iPod the case got a little bent after trying too hard. Because of this there is some room between the front and back case on the bottom-right side of the device and in the dock area, but I don’t think it should be that serious as to allow **** get as far as to the display.

What could be causing this?

I'd say it's a failing LCD display. I've seen lots of 5th gens with black lines or coloured pixels.

Has the battery swollen due to age? That can push against the back of the display.

Dust under the screen? Have you owned it from new? If not, then a previous owner may have dismantled it and got dust in there.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #9,729 of 10,664
I'd say it's a failing LCD display. I've seen lots of 5th gens with black lines or coloured pixels.

Has the battery swollen due to age? That can push against the back of the display.

Dust under the screen? Have you owned it from new? If not, then a previous owner may have dismantled it and got dust in there.

Hi,

The old battery never presented that problem, and the new one... is just new.

Nope, I bought the iPod brand new.

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #9,731 of 10,664
bought the iflash kit for my 60GB gen 5 and would like to put my whole smart play list of CD quality music on there that's about 31K tracks and is a little over 1 TB in size.

from the iflash website it seems like i'm good since it should be able to support anything under 50K tracks but i was wondering if there's some memory limit that iTunes may complain about? Can i technically stuff 4x400gb cards in there without any issues?

what's the most that people are running?

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #9,732 of 10,664
Hello,

Where could I get 2000mah batteries? From page super-ipod, gives me error when paying by paypal and canamyfly2013 store, ebay tells me that there is no such page. I have everything ready to update my ipod slim 5.5 and I only need the battery. I'm thinking that it was a bad idea.

regards

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #9,733 of 10,664
Hello,

Where could I get 2000mah batteries? From page super-ipod, gives me error when paying by paypal and canamyfly2013 store, ebay tells me that there is no such page. I have everything ready to update my ipod slim 5.5 and I only need the battery. I'm thinking that it was a bad idea.

regards

Although the auction was still up until recently, canamyfly2013's battery hasn't been buyable for over a year. There are 3000mah & 1900mah batteries available on ebay & other sites, but I don't believe anyone else sells the 2000mah battery that canamyfly2013 used to sell.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #9,734 of 10,664
bought the iflash kit for my 60GB gen 5 and would like to put my whole smart play list of CD quality music on there that's about 31K tracks and is a little over 1 TB in size.

from the iflash website it seems like i'm good since it should be able to support anything under 50K tracks but i was wondering if there's some memory limit that iTunes may complain about? Can i technically stuff 4x400gb cards in there without any issues?

what's the most that people are running?

The 50,000 tracks is an estimate. Iflash site also says, "Reports for other (60Gb/80Gb/160Gb) iPods limits can range from 30000 tracks to 60000 tracks."
I had an OF ipod with about 44,000 tracks that worked OK but would misbehave at times. I reduced the tracks to 31,000 and now it works fine. Of course if you use rockbox, you won't have to worry about the track limits.

As long as you use compatible cards, I think 4x400gb should be fine. I've never used the quad adapter however.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #9,735 of 10,664
Although the auction was still up until recently, canamyfly2013's battery hasn't been buyable for over a year. There are 3000mah & 1900mah batteries available on ebay & other sites, but I don't believe anyone else sells the 2000mah battery that canamyfly2013 used to sell.

thanks for your answer.

How can I keep the thin case on the ipod 5 + iflash quad and have an extended battery? Can someone recommend a battery?

Regards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back