Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 1, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #9,706 of 10,664
A couple of questions for iFlash SD card users:
  • Does using features that cause file system writes from within Rockbox also cause corruption e.g. deleting files through the browser, using last.fm support, etc.?
  • What is the best setting for spin down given that these aren't spinning platter disks?
  • Similarly, is it best to keep the database out of RAM especially given a large database as the flash memory is fast enough?

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #9,707 of 10,664
  • Does using features that cause file system writes from within Rockbox also cause corruption e.g. deleting files through the browser, using last.fm support, etc.?

It could do. I've found that generally it doesn't, though. I suppose it depends on just how much writing is involved? Building the database is the problematic case.

• What is the best setting for spin down given that these aren't spinning platter disks?

Don't know. Would be interested in the answer myself.

• Similarly, is it best to keep the database out of RAM especially given a large database as the flash memory is fast enough?

I think so, yes.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #9,708 of 10,664
It could do. I've found that generally it doesn't, though. I suppose it depends on just how much writing is involved? Building the database is the problematic case.

Oh snap. Can you elaborate on this? Have you had issues due to building the database? That could make Rockbox unuseable as it's necessary to deal with a non-tiny library and necessarily involves quite a large database file once you get over about 50,000 tracks.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #9,709 of 10,664
After one year of usage I have never had a corruption of the file system.
I use the settings which rockbox uses as a standard and I am not using the database. Therefore I am no help in this topic.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #9,710 of 10,664
Just another question concerning the iFlash SD card adapters. Filling my 1TB 5.5th gen Ipod with many data costs much time. It uploads with about 3 to 4Mb/s. Has somebody tried successfully to fill the adapter and the cards with an external closure at the USB of the PC or the SD cards directly?

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #9,712 of 10,664
On my sons Ipod 5.5th gen the connector for the HD on the main PCB is broken. Does somebody know a source for spare parts or a partnumber of the connector?

the harddrive is connected with a ribbon cabble
s-l1600.jpg

is the ribbon ripped or the latch on either side of the connector itself withour the latch you could secure the ribbon with a tiny pice of superglue or uv resin epoxy

if you ripped the connector of the mainboard I have no idea what part number this might be and it has to desoldered with a hotair station reballed and resolder
i guess a non working 5.5G unit is cheaper in this case as a mainboard donor

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #9,713 of 10,664
Just another question concerning the iFlash SD card adapters. Filling my 1TB 5.5th gen Ipod with many data costs much time. It uploads with about 3 to 4Mb/s. Has somebody tried successfully to fill the adapter and the cards with an external closure at the USB of the PC or the SD cards directly?
technically a ZIF drive is recognized as any other IDE/PATA drive by the system
a ZIF to USB Adapter could help here if you a using rockbox for easy drag an drop of your media files but I am almost sure this will never work with iTunes since it wont recognize the connected external drive as an iPod but just as a regular drive

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #9,714 of 10,664
technically a ZIF drive is recognized as any other IDE/PATA drive by the system
a ZIF to USB Adapter could help here if you a using rockbox for easy drag an drop of your media files but I am almost sure this will never work with iTunes since it wont recognize the connected external drive as an iPod but just as a regular drive

I have a suspicion this will not work with a 5.5 gen.

There are three problems here:

Firstly if using iTunes and the OF for playback, it won't work for the reasons cis gives, due to the way iTunes behaves (but there might be some way round it).

Secondly, even if _not_ using the OF for playback and iTunes to sync, I think it won't work because the 5.5 gen and later use a non-standard kind of disk formatting that isn't recognised outside of the ipod. It _will_ work for a 5th gen, won't work for a 6th gen or later, and I don't think it will work for 5.5gen but am not sure about that case.

Finally, as you are using a multi-card adaptor, you can't just do it by putting the card itself in a card reader. With the single-card adaptor or the ssd adaptor, plus a 5th gen, you could actually sync that way (I did so at one time). But with the mutli card adaptor you would have to put the entire adaptor in some suitable enclosure/reader, not just individual cards. Not sure what reader that would be, and it would have to be one that didn't itself have a 128gb limit.

Mainly I think you just have to attach the modded ipod, start syncing, and go away for a weekend! It's only a problem on the first full sync.

Don't forget to tell windows not to go to sleep (I bloody _hate_ how windows 'sleep mode' thinks the PC is idle when there's no mouse/kb input, even when it's actually busy running a back-up or sync or some other important job - computers I used to work on decades ago could figure out when they were genuinely idle or not, why does Windows have such trouble with the concept?)

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #9,715 of 10,664
Having a bit of an issue with Rockbox on my iPod 7.5g. Database is only seeing a tiny fraction of the files. No directories are excluded but hundreds of Albums and Artists appear fine in the file browser but can't be seen at all if I use the database. I've tried updating and re-initializing multiple times.

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #9,716 of 10,664
Having a bit of an issue with Rockbox on my iPod 7.5g. Database is only seeing a tiny fraction of the files. No directories are excluded but hundreds of Albums and Artists appear fine in the file browser but can't be seen at all if I use the database. I've tried updating and re-initializing multiple times.

Have you turned off database caching?

Have you connected it to the computer and completely deleted all the old (apparently failed) database files before trying again?

Final resort would be to use the simulator to do it, but it shouldn't really be necessary.

Oh, and I assume your tracks all have the tags correctly filled in?

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #9,717 of 10,664
Have you turned off database caching?

Yes.
Final resort would be to use the simulator to do it, but it shouldn't really be necessary.

Oh, and I assume your tracks all have the tags correctly filled in?

Yep. All 100% tagged. And the tracks I've tests show the tags correctly when played through the file browser.

Have you connected it to the computer and completely deleted all the old (apparently failed) database files before trying again?

Just tested this. Reinitialised the database upon booting into Rockbox. When it says "Building database.... XXXXXX found (PREV to return)" what is the number represented by XXXXXX? It can't just be the numbr of tracks or rows in the database? Mine went up to 89,000+ and I have not quite that many tracks...

Was about to try database logging but for the few artists I've just tested it seems to work. Thanks! Still at a loss why reinitialising on the device didn't work though.

Next question: I can't find anything in the manual about how to have Artist ordering in the Database ingore the "The" in band names.

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #9,718 of 10,664
Hi,
i just had a problem with building the database on Iquad 7.5, too, so i decided to use the Simulator.
I put the Simulator on the ipod itself and cut and paste my Media folder into the Simdisk folder.
After building the database i cut and paste the Media folder back and copy the database files into the original Rockbox folder.
This works fine, but i ask myself, if i can point the Simulator to the original Database files and Media folder.
I tried with shortcuts, but it doesnt work that way.
Anybody here who runs the simulator on the ipod itself, who can help me?
Thanks

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #9,719 of 10,664
Hi,
i just had a problem with building the database on Iquad 7.5, too, so i decided to use the Simulator.
I put the Simulator on the ipod itself and cut and paste my Media folder into the Simdisk folder.
After building the database i cut and paste the Media folder back and copy the database files into the original Rockbox folder.
This works fine, but i ask myself, if i can point the Simulator to the original Database files and Media folder.
I tried with shortcuts, but it doesnt work that way.
Anybody here who runs the simulator on the ipod itself, who can help me?
Thanks

Yup. Though I only know about the Windows case, don't know how it works for Mac/Linux. Look for a guide how to create hard links (uses the command prompt command mklnk).

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #9,720 of 10,664
Next question: I can't find anything in the manual about how to have Artist ordering in the Database ingore the "The" in band names.

You can't. One reason given is that the significance of 'the' only covers the English language case. You can write your own custom config file to put all the 'the...' bands in a separate listing, but that's the best you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back