Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 30, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #9,301 of 10,664
Hi there! I have a 6.5 th gen ipod classic 120gb (MB565) who's the battery is about to die (it lasts a bit more than 1 day, and i use it for 10/12 hours a day, i have to charge it everyday) and i wanted to take advantage of the situation to upgrade my ipod to a 3000 mah battery! But there's a couple of questions i wanted to ask:
1. Will the ipod video front bezel work in the ipod classic housing? Cause i really love that black glowing front bezel of the ipod video, but wasn't sure if it fitted the ipod classic
2. Is there any reliable seller for a 3000mah battery who will surely fit with a thick back? I already read that 3000mah is probably not its real capacity, but i've seen that the price difference is just about a couple of euros, so i'd go for the 3000 one, and the worse that can happen is that i wasted a couple of euros for a battery who's basically real capacity is about 1700/1800 mah. If there is, may i have a link? (i'm from Italy). The cheaper one i found is this one from china https://www.ebay.it/itm/3000mAh-Bat...Classic-6-6-5-7-Video-5-5-5-Thin/152581319646
3. I had a 160gb ipod classic 7th gen, who i accidentally broke its mainboard, and i'm gonna use its hard disk (MK1634GAL) after tests (i previously took apart that ipod cause i had a problem with the tracks skipping). Yeah, i already know itunes will read only 128 gb, i just get 8 gb more by replacing the hard disk (at least i don't install rockbox, but i've already tried it with the 7th gen ipod and got stuck too much times, so i don't like it so much), so everything i know i have to do for the battery upgrade is:
to fit the 3000 mah battery, i need a new thick back and thick headphone jack
i need to cut off the lcd holder in the frame (already did)
Am i missing anything?
for those who's asking, no, i don't intend to upgrade with msata/sdcards for now. I already wanted to do the upgrade to 1tb, but in the situation i'm now i can't afford it, maybe i will save some money and do it in the future, but i'll need a 7th gen mainboard, or a working ipod video 5.5th gen (who's audio quality it's bettery than classic's), so it's gonna be a long story

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #9,302 of 10,664
the battery drain is real on my 5.5g ipod. I mean, once it goes lower than a certain threshold, it only charges to that point. (it drains to 40 and doesn't go any higher after charging.) I had thought it was a bad battery from the last one I tried (3000mah) and went back to stock after this issue happened, but it keeps happening... The stock battery I had before had had my ipod last for a good day or two on rockbox with a spinning drive. I'm thinking it's probably a bad motherboard at this point, but that wouldn't really explain why the stock would perform better on the old spinning drive I had. Now, it's stuck at 32% and won't charge any further...I kept it charging overnight too...ah, this started when I upgrade my old hard drive to the SD card adapter Tarkan makes.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9,303 of 10,664
Installed rockbox on my 5th gen iPod video earlier and everything was working fine. Turned it off for awhile, and when I turned it back on. No menus are showing. Just the rockbox backround and status bar. Tried resetting multiple times but same thing.

Anybody ?

IMG_20171205_043908.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #9,305 of 10,664
[...]
1. Will the ipod video front bezel work in the ipod classic housing? Cause i really love that black glowing front bezel of the ipod video, but wasn't sure if it fitted the ipod classic
[...]

Yes you can fit the internals of an iPod classic in a video but you will have to do some modifications on the frame (or simply buy a 5th gen frame). Somebody posted it here before but you'll have to use the search function :wink:

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #9,306 of 10,664
Try to delete and install again the rockbox..

Did that this morning. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Booted up normal and am currently testing by powering it down for a 1-3+ hours and powering it backup. So far working. I'll probably let it play music for 1-2 hours then shut it off again, and after an hour or so reboot again.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #9,307 of 10,664
Did that this morning. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Booted up normal and am currently testing by powering it down for a 1-3+ hours and powering it backup. So far working. I'll probably let it play music for 1-2 hours then shut it off again, and after an hour or so reboot again.

You probably just deleted the rockbox files by accident.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #9,308 of 10,664
Hi there! I have a 6.5 th gen ipod classic 120gb (MB565) who's the battery is about to die (it lasts a bit more than 1 day, and i use it for 10/12 hours a day, i have to charge it everyday) and i wanted to take advantage of the situation to upgrade my ipod to a 3000 mah battery! But there's a couple of questions i wanted to ask:
2. Is there any reliable seller for a 3000mah battery who will surely fit with a thick back? I already read that 3000mah is probably not its real capacity, but i've seen that the price difference is just about a couple of euros, so i'd go for the 3000 one, and the worse that can happen is that i wasted a couple of euros for a battery who's basically real capacity is about 1700/1800 mah. If there is, may i have a link? (i'm from Italy). The cheaper one i found is this one from china https://www.ebay.it/itm/3000mAh-Bat...Classic-6-6-5-7-Video-5-5-5-Thin/152581319646
3. I had a 160gb ipod classic 7th gen, who i accidentally broke its mainboard, and i'm gonna use its hard disk (MK1634GAL) after tests (i previously took apart that ipod cause i had a problem with the tracks skipping). Yeah, i already know itunes will read only 128 gb, i just get 8 gb more by replacing the hard disk (at least i don't install rockbox, but i've already tried it with the 7th gen ipod and got stuck too much times, so i don't like it so much), so everything i know i have to do for the battery upgrade is:
to fit the 3000 mah battery, i need a new thick back and thick headphone jack
i need to cut off the lcd holder in the frame (already did)
Am i missing anything?
for those who's asking, no, i don't intend to upgrade with msata/sdcards for now. I already wanted to do the upgrade to 1tb, but in the situation i'm now i can't afford it, maybe i will save some money and do it in the future, but i'll need a 7th gen mainboard, or a working ipod video 5.5th gen (who's audio quality it's bettery than classic's), so it's gonna be a long story
Yeah, the ipod video front bezel fits. Just save those screws and you'll be fine. Though I'm not too sure about the batteries since I'm in an unreliable situation where I'm not sure if it's the battery or the motherboard on my ipod. As for fitting though, it might be a tight, do your due diligence and measure it out. The 3k mah battery I got is about a half cm from eyeballing it. It's funny that I'm doing the opposite (fitting a 6th gen face and midframe with 5.5 gen mobo) and having quite a lot of trouble with it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #9,312 of 10,664
Yes you can fit the internals of an iPod classic in a video but you will have to do some modifications on the frame (or simply buy a 5th gen frame). Somebody posted it here before but you'll have to use the search function :wink:
Well, since it's 8 eur new i could even buy a new one! Can't seems to find the page where it says how it needs to be modified to work!
Yeah, the ipod video front bezel fits. Just save those screws and you'll be fine. Though I'm not too sure about the batteries since I'm in an unreliable situation where I'm not sure if it's the battery or the motherboard on my ipod. As for fitting though, it might be a tight, do your due diligence and measure it out. The 3k mah battery I got is about a half cm from eyeballing it. It's funny that I'm doing the opposite (fitting a 6th gen face and midframe with 5.5 gen mobo) and having quite a lot of trouble with it.
Not really practical with these kind of things. Anyway, because i didn't have any answer, i already ordered everything. A 3000 mah battery, thick black jack, and these housings https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Onj...ickwheel-Button-for-iPod-6th/32838804599.html

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #9,313 of 10,664
After testing my iPod, turning off, turning back on, playing music, idling. Everything seems fine now. Rockbox works.

Only thing is, is the battery life. I charged it to 100% at 5:04pm yesterday and now woke up at 7:15am with it at 24%. I let it sit idle, no music playing ect. Is that normal battery drain ? Should I turn the iPod off instead ? I'm charging it again.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #9,314 of 10,664
Does the rockboxed 5.5 really sound better than the 6th gen one?

Sorry, I am the wrong one to ask. My hearing is not good, so I can't tell. I just listen to music.

Is that normal battery drain ?

This is with Rockbox, isn't it? The original firmware has some kind of sleep function and does not really power off. Dou you use an iFlash adapter? There are some reports of such quick battery drain with them. Is the battery new?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #9,315 of 10,664
This is with Rockbox, isn't it? The original firmware has some kind of sleep function and does not really power off. Dou you use an iFlash adapter? There are some reports of such quick battery drain with them. Is the battery new?

I got the iPod from eBay couple days ago from a China seller. Sold as "new" thinking it was unopened legit, but is actually a refurbished iPod with new parts looks like. Plastic wrapping around it. So I'm guessing they stuck a new battery in. It's just the regular 30gb 5th gen model. Japan model (ma002j). Was gonna do the iflash dual but if battery is like this I'm just gonna toss it and save for a cayin n3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back