Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9,181 of 10,664
So you only encounter the problem if you use the rockbox database? are you trying to use the database built from the OF or make rockbox build it?

Well, only when I try to _build_ the database. But didn't test it much beyond that, as I needed the database to work.

Don't understand your last question. The OF database has nothing whatsoever to do with rockbox, I'm saying this problem arises only with rockbox (but a completely different problem arises with OF, i.e. the well-known database size limit).

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #9,182 of 10,664
Well, only when I try to _build_ the database. But didn't test it much beyond that, as I needed the database to work.

Don't understand your last question. The OF database has nothing whatsoever to do with rockbox, I'm saying this problem arises only with rockbox (but a completely different problem arises with OF, i.e. the well-known database size limit).
rockbox can read the OF database, i was asking if you where trying to use the OF database on rockbox or the rockbox built one. I think there are some tools to build the database without rockbox or OF, you should try it

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9,184 of 10,664
rockbox can read the OF database, i was asking if you where trying to use the OF database on rockbox or the rockbox built one. I think there are some tools to build the database without rockbox or OF, you should try it

To be honest, that's news to me. Can you expand on this point? What does RB do with the OF database? My understanding was you either browse tracks via the director structure/file names with the file browser, or, if you want to use a database/metadata approach, you have to let rockbox build it's own database from the metadata (assuming it has been filled in). Are you saying rockbox can somehow decode the OF's database and use that to create its own database (instead of using the metadata)? I am not aware of any way of getting it to do this, but perhaps I've either missed something or am misunderstanding what you mean.

What would be nice, now I come to think of it, is a way to build the coverflow database for the 5th gen, as I just tried it and it took so long it completely drained the battery before it was half way through (after taking all night)! The classics seem to be better at this task.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #9,185 of 10,664
To be honest, that's news to me. Can you expand on this point? What does RB do with the OF database? My understanding was you either browse tracks via the director structure/file names with the file browser, or, if you want to use a database/metadata approach, you have to let rockbox build it's own database from the metadata (assuming it has been filled in). Are you saying rockbox can somehow decode the OF's database and use that to create its own database (instead of using the metadata)? I am not aware of any way of getting it to do this, but perhaps I've either missed something or am misunderstanding what you mean.

What would be nice, now I come to think of it, is a way to build the coverflow database for the 5th gen, as I just tried it and it took so long it completely drained the battery before it was half way through (after taking all night)! The classics seem to be better at this task.
sorry, i was wrong you cannot read the itunes database on rockbox what you can do is make rockbox database read the file structure of the hidden folder and add it to its database.
I had an idea, just tested it and it works fine, you can use the ipod video simulator to build the database, just put it on the ipod, cut and paste your music folder to simdisk folder inside the simulator, run simulator, build the database, open .rockbox inside the simdisk folder, copy all databse related files to the root .rockbox folder, cut and paste the music folder back to the root, eject, reboot ipod and you should be able to use the database.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #9,186 of 10,664
sorry, i was wrong you cannot read the itunes database on rockbox what you can do is make rockbox database read the file structure of the hidden folder and add it to its database.
I had an idea, just tested it and it works fine, you can use the ipod video simulator to build the database, just put it on the ipod, cut and paste your music folder to simdisk folder inside the simulator, run simulator, build the database, open .rockbox inside the simdisk folder, copy all databse related files to the root .rockbox folder, cut and paste the music folder back to the root, eject, reboot ipod and you should be able to use the database.

Hmmm. So you are suggesting copying the simulator onto the ipod then moving the music folder, then running the sim from the PC but off of the attached ipod drive? So it would be using the ipod's drive but the PC's processing power? Yeah, I guess that's a different way of doing it. Trying to think whether cutting and pasting the music folder like that would cause any unintended effects (due to changing date-stamps). Thanks for the idea (I hadn't considered doing it that way round), will give it a go. If it works for building the cover-flow database it would be especially useful, as that really seems next-to-impossible to do now on my 5th gen, it just can't seem to cope with that much processing.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #9,188 of 10,664
Has anyone tried the Bluetooth mod and if so had AirPods working ? , I'm making a jet black iPod classic 256gb , 1900mah battery 2x128gb micro sd , tarkans quad adapter.

I was going to have made jet black AirPods!

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #9,191 of 10,664
What was the quality like , any hissing , and did use the usual alluminum case or just the clear vue case for the housing?

No. The setup I created uses the apt-X protocol and is absolutely clear.

The link above shows my complete creation (just click on the Yes).

I'm not sure if the plastic front case would improve since the bluetooth module is opposite the mainboard.

You would have to use a thick backplate in order to have the setup you mentioned with bluetooth.

Also not sure if this would work for 6th or 7th gens. I used the 80GB 5.5th gen.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #9,192 of 10,664
Hey to all the headfier's and ipod modders,

this is going to be a very long post - please be patient with me.

First of all I have to say sorry, I haven't been on here in a veeery long while.
After wanting to desperately stick to the 1TB mSata mod (all of them failed), I decided to try it once more and send an ipod and new 1TB mSata to Tarkan (he got it working).
It came back to me -and guys, guess what- the same ipod went on strike and showed me the red cross again.
So all my 1TB mSatas are working, I just cannot get them to work in any of my ipods.

Yes, I tried AOMEI and all that. Especially letting it stay connected to the laptop overnight. Connected it to my PC still the same result. RED CROSS.

So I thought, I'll order some 512GB SDXC cards throught amazon.com and let them send it to my friend, who I visited last year. Had Tarkan's dual flash with me, put all of that in the ipod and guess what, it worked.
I should have listened to all of the ones advising me to switch to SDXC a lot earlier.
Now I have 2 ipods with 1TB, one with 768GB (those have the wave and Apple Lossless on them in a mix) and one with mp3's.

Since I needed 5 slim backs with headphone jack/hold button, but did not have enough money for 5 at the time, I ordered 3 from Alex.....
That was back in April. We had whatsapp contact.
Since it always took a lot longer to come to me, I waited for about 2 months. After that I wrote him again and we agreed on him sending me the stuff again.
After another 2 months still no sign of my order.
So we agreed on him sending me the ordered stuff with DHL, he supposedly sent it by 8th of August with DHL.
Up to today no delivery for me, no reply to e-mail or whatsapp.

Now, I read in this form (way toooo late) - the way I understand - that he seems to have trouble.
So I guess my money payed with paypal is all gone.
Lucky me I did not drag myself to pay for 5 right away.

So now, I guess I have to find out where I can get at least the headphone jack/hold button somewhere else cheap.

Has anyone of you ever tried mediamonkey instead of itunes?
If yes, is there a limitation as well (roundabout 50000 songs)?

Greets,
Julia

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #9,193 of 10,664
Has anyone of you ever tried mediamonkey instead of itunes?
If yes, is there a limitation as well (roundabout 50000 songs)?

Greets,
Julia

To just adress the final pont - I use mediamonkey. It's OK, though I changed to it partly due to exasperation with all the bugs in iTunes, only to find it has bugs of it's own.
In particular, I gave up using media monkey to sync. Though it has a suitable plug-in to do so, it proved very slow and very, very unreliable, so I went back to using robocopy scripts for that, which works fine. Note I only use rockbox.

But MM is Ok as a music manager - other than having the exact-same lack of playlist management that drove me mad about iTunes. Foobar2000 seems to be the only music manager that lets you manipulate large numbers of playlists (but I had other problems with that). I don't know why so many Music Managers don't provide for that.

Don't know what you mean by limitation. The limitation is with the original firmware, not iTunes. Using Rockbox there's no song number limit (have about 110,000 tracks I think).

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #9,194 of 10,664
Since I needed 5 slim backs with headphone jack/hold button, but did not have enough money for 5 at the time, I ordered 3 from Alex.....

You may have better luck with sellers on aliexpress. Sorting through the chinglish might be a little difficult on some of the listings, but if you search for "hold switch" (and not button) there are a few listings. Shipping is slow (a week or two/three) but most of the sellers with decent amounts of orders will probably be fairly reliable. The biggest issue is that they tend to come in lots of 10 on most of the listings these days, which can be a pain.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #9,195 of 10,664
Opened it up again today. The cell I have is from veken, their cells seem good.
What kind of battery discharges but doesn't charge anyway? It's either the protection circuit on it or the charge controller refusing to charge. The original battery still charges.
Also this battery could last over a week at 2h/day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back