iPod Video (Classic) 5g+5.5g internal Bluetooth Mod thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

80hz

Head-Fier

I thought I'd share my newest creation...

A 512GB iPod Video/Classic with an extended-life battery and internal Bluetooth

So the Bluetooth idea came from this link:

Mod Your 5G Video iPod With Internal Bluetooth

However, this is the one image necessary to connect the bluetooth module to the motherboard:

I removed the bluetooth module from the casing and soldered it to the motherboard:

I replaced the harddrive with Tarkan's iFlash-Solo and a 512GB SD card:

Still testing the battery, but it seems to last at least all day with bluetooth enabled.
I just asked Alex for the smaller battery (instead of the super large 2000mAh):

This was the hardest part -- getting the signal to pass through the metal.
So, after hours of testing, I finally decided to cut the back open.
I used the plastic screen/window from an unused 6th gen faceplate:

As you can see, the bluetooth connects beautifully now.
I drilled a hole in the bottom right of the plastic so I could get to the bluetooth button.
I used the red case as in my original mod above to keep my iPod safe.

I am using the Creative Sound Blaster Jam Ultra-Light Bluetooth Headset and the ESYNIC Bluetooth 4.1 Music Transmitter.
The sound is actually quite good. The signal can get blocked at times since the metal of the iPod tends to pose a problem.
But generally, the signal is good and I can control the volume on both the iPod and the headset.

Both the headset and the bluetooth transmitter are version 4.1, so there is virtually no lag when listening to music or watching movies/videos.
Additionally, the transmitter also supports apt-x, which is the newest type thus far.

A cool side effect I discovered is that I can use the bluetooth device as originally intended as well
So, I just make sure the iPod is off, lock it, and then I can plug it into another device (i.e. computer) using the supplied 3.5mm cable and into the iPod headphone jack to listen to that device with my bluetooth headphones.
Really cool.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 19
Yes, the bluetooth module is soldered to the 3.3v connection on the iPod mainboard (see the  +  -  on the right side):

And as a side note, the audio connection (the  L  R  on the top left) doesn't need the ground connection for some reason.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 19
  Yes, the bluetooth module is soldered to the 3.3v connection on the iPod mainboard (see the  +  -  on the right side):

And as a side note, the audio connection (the  L  R  on the top left) doesn't need the ground connection for some reason.

It needs ground,but you already grounded while soldering negative post(ground).

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 19
I drilled a hole in the back plastic to get to the Bluetooth button -- to Turn ON/OFF and for Pairing.

Otherwise, it drains the battery rather quickly if left on all the time.

And the logic board was from an 80GB iPod Video 5.5 gen, which has the 64MB memory.

I was able to fit everything into a slim backplate, albeit a little tightly.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 19
If the bluetooth struggles to get through the metal case, would it be an option to fit an iVue plastic body to allow better signal strength, and then paint the iVue body to make it more subtle looking?

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 19
If the bluetooth struggles to get through the metal case, would it be an option to fit an iVue plastic body to allow better signal strength, and then paint the iVue body to make it more subtle looking?
That's an excellent thought. I wanted the look of the 6th gen faceplate. However, I still wondered if the iVue would have helped since the bluetooth adaptor is located behind the mainboard. Maybe I'll try it someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back