Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8,763 of 10,664
Hey, I'm delighted to have fitted the quad in my 7G iPod classic, with two 128Gb Micro SD cards in it, comfortably fitting my 170Gb of music.

However, I'm interested in a 2,000 Ma battery, but can't find one in the UK.

I leave for Australia in only a couple of weeks and would really like this finished this week, if possible. Happy to Paypal, bank transfer etc. Cheers!

Oh yeah.. I was super-careful as comments on iFixit said if you flip the battery ribbon connector too hard, the iPod is ruined. Is this a legit concern? I'm worried about going in again for a round two! (All ribbons are reconnected, but I haven't shoved the rear case back on yet!)

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #8,765 of 10,664
Chinese eBay sellers are usually the ones to carry those batteries.

I can't see any on there at present.

I've left my iPod running for 8 hours at full volume and it's at what looks like 60%, maybe slightly more.. which suggests I could get 20 hours life, at this rate?

If so, that would suggest a fairly healthy battery? I might be cool with keeping it as-is if so.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #8,766 of 10,664
Can anyone advise how to change the LOD's usb to 3.5mm jack, is it possible to do that?

You can make 3.5mm line-out from the 30-pin connector, but it's a bit delicate (due to the 30-pin connector.)  There's a decent walk-through here.  I've made one, after my FiiO one split, but it was a real pain in the ass at the time due to a relative lack of soldering skills.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #8,767 of 10,664
You can make 3.5mm line-out from the 30-pin connector, but it's a bit delicate (due to the 30-pin connector.)  There's a decent walk-through here.  I've made one, after my FiiO one split, but it was a real pain in the ass at the time due to a relative lack of soldering skills.
I'm not sure if I understand what you described... What I actually want is to change the USB end with a 3.5mm jack, without touching the 30 pins connector dock(as I still need it).
Can I just remove the USB, and screw the wires to a jack?

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #8,768 of 10,664
I'm not sure if I understand what you described... What I actually want is to change the USB end with a 3.5mm jack, without touching the 30 pins connector dock(as I still need it).
Can I just remove the USB, and screw the wires to a jack?

No.  you can't do that.  You'd need to disassemble the 30-pin end and change/remove several pins.  The iPod only transmits line-out if pin 11 is grounded, otherwise it uses the headphone jack.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #8,769 of 10,664
No.  you can't do that.  You'd need to disassemble the 30-pin end and change/remove several pins.  The iPod only transmits line-out if pin 11 is grounded, otherwise it uses the headphone jack.
Have you seen my attached photo?

I bought the above dock with USB at one end, as my old Sony pha1 amp can take the digital in from USB, bypassing ipod's both DAC and amp.
But now my new amp can only take line in by 3.5mm jack, you mean I got to modify the 30 pins connector as well?

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #8,773 of 10,664
Hey, I'm delighted to have fitted the quad in my 7G iPod classic, with two 128Gb Micro SD cards in it, comfortably fitting my 170Gb of music.

However, I'm interested in a 2,000 Ma battery, but can't find one in the UK.

I leave for Australia in only a couple of weeks and would really like this finished this week, if possible. Happy to Paypal, bank transfer etc. Cheers!

Oh yeah.. I was super-careful as comments on iFixit said if you flip the battery ribbon connector too hard, the iPod is ruined. Is this a legit concern? I'm worried about going in again for a round two! (All ribbons are reconnected, but I haven't shoved the rear case back on yet!)

Hope it helps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mhA-Super-Big-Battery-Back-Cover-Upgrade-kit-for-iPod-Classic-160GB-thin-/191214153466?hash=item2c85406efa

Quite a legit concern. I have ruined TWO motherboards that way. :frowning2:

Nice mod, dayscables, good luck.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #8,774 of 10,664
Hey gang, I'm having a hell of a time and I hope someone can help. I'm having an issue with the iFlash solo and a fat iPod Classic 6th gen. Before I describe the problem, know that I've tried two separate ZIFF adapters, in addition to the iFlash, two separate hard drive ribbons, two different 256 GB SD cards, and on two different computers (a Windows and a Mac).

I assemble the iPod and get the 'restore in iTunes' screen. From there, I plug it into my computer. Windows makes the noise indicating that something has been connected, and utilities like device manager and AOMEI see it. But nothing happens in iTunes unless I reboot the iPod into DFU mode.

When I do that, iTunes recognizes the iPod and prompts me to restore. I give the go ahead, and nine times out of ten nothing happens. A progress bar for 'preparing the iPod' appears, fills up, goes away, and then nothing. That rare tenth time, things will progress to the point that the actual 'restoring iPod' bar appears, fills up to approximately 50%, and then hangs seemingly forever.

I've formatted and reformatted the card every which way, so it's not that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #8,775 of 10,664
  Hey gang, I'm having a hell of a time and I hope someone can help. I'm having an issue with the iFlash solo and a fat iPod Classic 6th gen. Before I describe the problem, know that I've tried two separate ZIFF adapters, in addition to the iFlash, two separate hard drive ribbons, two different 256 GB SD cards, and on two different computers (a Windows and a Mac).

I assemble the iPod and get the 'restore in iTunes' screen. From there, I plug it into my computer. Windows makes the noise indicating that something has been connected, and utilities like device manager and AOMEI see it. But nothing happens in iTunes unless I reboot the iPod into DFU mode.

When I do that, iTunes recognizes the iPod and prompts me to restore. I give the go ahead, and nine times out of ten nothing happens. A progress bar for 'preparing the iPod' appears, fills up, goes away, and then nothing. That rare tenth time, things will progress to the point that the actual 'restoring iPod' bar appears, fills up to approximately 50%, and then hangs seemingly forever.

I've formatted and reformatted the card every which way, so it's not that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

6th gen ipods are only limited to 128 gig unless using rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back