Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #8,731 of 10,664
  My SD thin Tarkan gets loose from time to time as well. I should find a definitive solution to this. :p

Webstaa, you can open a 5.5 with a guitar pick in seconds. With 6th and 7th, that´s another story.

Yeah, it was more of "I'm in the middle of the backwoods in Utah, where can I find anything narrower than a flat-head screwdriver?"

I ended up using an old airline card out of my wallet.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,733 of 10,664
I'm about 50 pages behind in this thread, so please pardon me if this has been asked before...

I was set on using an SSD in a 6th gen + rockboxx. It looks like SD cards are a much better choice, for several reasons. One downside, a 1TB setup would be about twice the price of using an SSD. MicroSDs are WAY cheaper, but I wonder if the miniaturization would make them less reliable?

My current plan is 1TB with tarkan's dual or quad adaptor. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #8,734 of 10,664
I have an iPod Classic 160gb player and I am interested in converting this to flash memory.  It is a 5th generation.  I had someone tell me about this because the hard drive crashed.  I am needing to find someone who can do this conversion for me and not charge an arm and a leg.  I have limited funds.  I also am trying to find out if this is a good idea.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #8,736 of 10,664
  I'm about 50 pages behind in this thread, so please pardon me if this has been asked before...

I was set on using an SSD in a 6th gen + rockboxx. It looks like SD cards are a much better choice, for several reasons. One downside, a 1TB setup would be about twice the price of using an SSD. MicroSDs are WAY cheaper, but I wonder if the miniaturization would make them less reliable?

My current plan is 1TB with tarkan's dual or quad adaptor. 

I haven't heard anyone on this forum say the quad is less reliable. Card prices vary depending on where you live, but microsds shouldn't be WAY cheaper. Make sure you don't buy counterfeit cards.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #8,737 of 10,664
  I have an iPod Classic 160gb player and I am interested in converting this to flash memory.  It is a 5th generation.  I had someone tell me about this because the hard drive crashed.  I am needing to find someone who can do this conversion for me and not charge an arm and a leg.  I have limited funds.  I also am trying to find out if this is a good idea.

+1 on its a good idea.
This is something you could do. I have seen others on here offer to do it for people & Ebay is also a place you could find someone to do it for you. Still, it would be more expensive than DIY & its nice to be able to fix it yourself if something goes wrong.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #8,738 of 10,664

By 5th generation, do you actually mean 6th? The 160gb 6th Gen Classic can only be upgraded to a maximum of 128gb flash storage under the original Apple firmware. To go higher, you need a 7th Gen 160gb Classic or a 5th Gen Video to mod.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #8,740 of 10,664
Hello people:) this is my first post, so if I am doing something wrong- please forgive me. I tried to find a conclusive answer to my question on the internet and this forum, but so far I've been unsuccesful. I am a happy owner of 5.5gen 30gb ipod video with 32mb ram motherboard. My question is as follows: can I put 256 GB ZIF ssd in it and expect the ipod to recognize this amount of memory? I read I other threads and posts how it supposedly won't be recognized by ipod using itunes and original non-rockbox OS, but will it crash, or will it crash after uploading 17,000 or so songs, or will it crash at all? Would buying a 128gb ssd be a better idea?Thank You all very much in advance.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #8,741 of 10,664
  Hello people:) this is my first post, so if I am doing something wrong- please forgive me. I tried to find a conclusive answer to my question on the internet and this forum, but so far I've been unsuccesful. I am a happy owner of 5.5gen 30gb ipod video with 32mb ram motherboard. My question is as follows: can I put 256 GB ZIF ssd in it and expect the ipod to recognize this amount of memory? I read I other threads and posts how it supposedly won't be recognized by ipod using itunes and original non-rockbox OS, but will it crash, or will it crash after uploading 17,000 or so songs, or will it crash at all? Would buying a 128gb ssd be a better idea?Thank You all very much in advance.

It'll recognize it, but it may have issues depending on how many songs you put on it.  With Rockbox, it's less of an issue.  I've got a 32mb ram with a touch over 18,000 songs on it (256gb SD card) and it doesn't seem to have issues with the stock firmware.  (Fair warning, It doesn't see a lot of use, as it's the media device in a vehicle I don't drive more than 3-4 times a week.)

Figure out which route is cheaper for you and do that - for me, it's usually a ZIF-CF-SD or ZIF-SD adapter and a SD or microSD card from a reputable brand.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #8,742 of 10,664

I've bought one of these type ipod zif drives before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-128GB-Zif-CE-Interface-SSD-for-iPod-6th-Gen-Classic-Logic-Board-/291349018876?hash=item43d5c138fc:g:jL8AAOSw0e9UrnUH

...but the 64g version. It failed to be recognized by my ipod 30gb 5.5 video, so I returned it. I would avoid buying ipod zif drives from Chinese sellers and just stick with a Tarkan iflash adapter and a brand name cf or sdxc card.

A 256gb sdxc card and Tarkan iflash adapter will work in a 30gb 5.5 video with original non-rockbox OS. But navigating through the iPod Menu will be really slow. Trying to play a playlist with over 30,000 songs will cause the iPod to freeze and reboot. Search function will be impossibly slow. Better to mod a 7th Gen Classic if you want to do 256gb or over. Or switch to Rockbox.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #8,743 of 10,664
Oops, and I forgot to say that I did just that, tested how many songs I could load onto a non-Rockbox'ed 30gb 5.5 Video that I'd modded to 256gb. Once I had loaded more than 30,000 mp3s, the iPod no longer recognized it had music on it. Song count showed up as 0 songs under "About" in the menu.

On the other hand, a modded 7th Gen Classic is still fine after loading 50,000 songs on it, just the menu and search will be slower, as well as reboot time and time it takes the computer to recognize the iPod when connecting.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #8,744 of 10,664
Guys, thank You very much for your replies:) When writing about ZIF SSD, I meant 1.8" ssd drive that has ZIF connector(I don't think I can post links to websites yet, so I will quote the title of the product on ebay, here it goes: "Zheino 1.8" ZIF/CE 256GB SSD for MacBook Air 1st Rev.A1237 Ipod Video 5.5 Gen", it costs 159$), but from what you're writing, it seems that iFlash adapter with sdxc card would be a better option- I think I will go with 128 gb version. Also, please tell me- which one would be better- the aforemetioned zif ssd from ebay(KingSpec or Zheino), or iFlash adapter and sdxc?
Thanks in advance! 

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #8,745 of 10,664
  Guys, thank You very much for your replies:) When writing about ZIF SSD, I meant 1.8" ssd drive that has ZIF connector(I don't think I can post links to websites yet, so I will quote the title of the product on ebay, here it goes: "Zheino 1.8" ZIF/CE 256GB SSD for MacBook Air 1st Rev.A1237 Ipod Video 5.5 Gen", it costs 159$), but from what you're writing, it seems that iFlash adapter with sdxc card would be a better option- I think I will go with 128 gb version. Also, please tell me- which one would be better- the aforemetioned zif ssd from ebay(KingSpec or Zheino), or iFlash adapter and sdxc?
Thanks in advance! 

I would pick the iflash+SDXC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back