Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8,776 of 10,664
Yes, but that's not the issue. I am aware of the 128 GB limit. My understanding is that if I include a card that goes above that size, I simply wouldn't be able to utilize the space.

In my situation, I can't even get iTunes to install firmware on the iPod.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #8,778 of 10,664
  And are you able to install Rockbox on it?

I'm actually in the process of trying that right now.

My understanding is that there are two ways of installing Rockbox - the bootloader program and the emCore loader.

When I try to use the bootloader program, the problem immediately arises that it can't seem to find my iPod in the directory. Sometimes the iPod will be listed in the file explorer, sometimes it isn't. Regardless, Rockbox never finds my iPod that way.

After having restarted and disk mode'd and DFU'd a thousand times over the past day or two, I just for the first time tried the emCore loader. Things got as far as emCore attempting to format the drive, but after about three or four minutes, it gave me an 'error formatting hard drive: 80000004' message.

My computer has an SD card slot built in, and every time I connect the card that way, diagnostics find no errors. So I'm confident that the card itself is okay. So I deleted all the partitions and am almost done with a total wipe of the card, and then I'll try the emCore thing again. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #8,779 of 10,664
Well, after totally erasing the card and leaving it unformatted, the iPod would apparently not go into DFU mode. Every time I tried to open emCore, I got a 'Could not detect DFU device' message.

Put the card back in my computer and formatted at FAT32, no difference.

So now I'm two steps back, trying to get the frickin' thing in DFU mode.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8,781 of 10,664
  ... it gave me an 'error formatting hard drive: 80000004' message.

My computer has an SD card slot built in, and every time I connect the card that way, diagnostics find no errors. So I'm confident that the card itself is okay. So I deleted all the partitions and am almost done with a total wipe of the card, and then I'll try the emCore thing again. 

I can't find any references to that error code, but I'm no Rockbox expert.

Well, if you've eliminated the card and the adapters, the problem remains to be found in either: motherboard, USB cable, PC.  Sounds to me like it's probably the iPod's motherboard at this point.  Perhaps a problem with the storage controller?  

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #8,782 of 10,664
Well, I owned the iPod before the hard drive went, so I can vouch that it was well taken care of.

Also, when I re-install the original faulty drive, I'm able to get as far as music beginning to sync before it poops out on me. I would think that points to the cable and PC being okay (plus, again, I've tried this on two computers now), not sure about the logic board.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #8,783 of 10,664
Update: Being out of ideas, I've just been readjusting the ribbon and trying to install emCore over the past few hours. Occasionally I'll get far enough that the formatting progression bar actually appears on the iPod and begins to fill, but that's all.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #8,784 of 10,664
  I'm actually in the process of trying that right now.

My understanding is that there are two ways of installing Rockbox - the bootloader program and the emCore loader.

When I try to use the bootloader program, the problem immediately arises that it can't seem to find my iPod in the directory. Sometimes the iPod will be listed in the file explorer, sometimes it isn't. Regardless, Rockbox never finds my iPod that way.

After having restarted and disk mode'd and DFU'd a thousand times over the past day or two, I just for the first time tried the emCore loader. Things got as far as emCore attempting to format the drive, but after about three or four minutes, it gave me an 'error formatting hard drive: 80000004' message.

I'll let you know how it goes.

And just to be sure: you've put the adaptor in the right way? And did you try restoring the iPod with the original hard drive? That way we can be sure the iPod is still functioning. 
I'm not sure this will help you but I once had a similar problem, I wouldn't be able to rockbox my iPod 5th gen because it wouldn't go into DFU mode with the drive the right side in. So I inverted it, started the whole rockbox thing and by putting it back at the right time it did work. (Sorry if this sounds vague but it was a while ago) I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but I'm guessing that at this point you will try everything.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #8,785 of 10,664

You could save all that trouble by just sliding a razor blade in there to lift the metal enough to slide in a putty knife. Then just pop the clips. I can open Classics now without causing a scratch to the shell or back.

A razor eh? Like one of these?

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8,786 of 10,664
  And just to be sure: you've put the adaptor in the right way? And did you try restoring the iPod with the original hard drive? That way we can be sure the iPod is still functioning. 
I'm not sure this will help you but I once had a similar problem, I wouldn't be able to rockbox my iPod 5th gen because it wouldn't go into DFU mode with the drive the right side in. So I inverted it, started the whole rockbox thing and by putting it back at the right time it did work. (Sorry if this sounds vague but it was a while ago) I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but I'm guessing that at this point you will try everything.

Yeah, I am definitely putting the adapter in the right way. Just tried flipping it around, it just gave me the red X.

But that reminds me - as I said, I initially tried to do this with those generic ZIFF adapters from eBay. When I first tried to install them, I assumed they went the same way as the iFlash, with the SD card facing the back of the iPod. Obviously nothing happened when I tried that, but somebody told me that I could have damaged the ribbon cables by doing that. Is that true? Of course I didn't, like, cram anything into anything else in an unnatural way, everything seemed to fir together okay, I was just putting it in there backwards. Is there a chance this somehow, like, fried the ribbon cables? Any reason to hang my hope on that?

As far as the original hard drive goes, yeah, it seems to work okay. It began failing, which is why I'm trying to switch it out, but when I install the original drive and plug it in, iTunes goes as far as allowing me to sync music before the drive fails.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #8,788 of 10,664
Hi folks,

I do already apologize for my bad english.

I found this tutorial super interesting and I would like to do the same but I'm getting lost at making a difference between a 5, 5.5, 6 and 7th gen of ipods....

I found those two links and I would like to know if it would fit in any of those ipods (maybe I will have to change the back to make it bigger if it's a slim ipod?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Selling-Adapter-mSATA-PCI-E-SSD-to-40pin-ZIF-CE-Cable-Card-SWTG-/331961201805?hash=item4d4a6df48d:g:RcIAAOSw-kdXzaXB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SK-Hynix-SC210-mSATA-256GB-SSD-096JYY-HFS256G3AMND-2200A-/322020539236?hash=item4af9eb7b64:g:A28AAOSwUuFW0VZ-

If not which parts would you recommand me?

ps: is it better to have a ssd or a multiple sd (micro sd) reader? It's just for the music and myabe also the games that are included in the ipod

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #8,789 of 10,664
  http://i.imgur.com/LxfSUpE.jpg

Took around a month to research how to mod the iPod, what are the most optimal choices, and actually getting the parts from all over the place - but it's finally done! 5.5G via dual 512GB SD cards with a 80gb logic board. Also decided to stick a 3000 mAH battery in there, and from my tests, saw that it lasted around 120 hours (Which is absolutely amazing!!). Using the FiiO e07K and Oppo PM3, and I've never been more satisfied with listening to music 
gs1000.gif

Feels good to know that I have a music player that I will probably never need to upgrade. If any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask away. 

hey,

How are you doing?

What components did you buy? possible to get a link pls? :)

Regards

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #8,790 of 10,664

Yeah, I am definitely putting the adapter in the right way. Just tried flipping it around, it just gave me the red X.

But that reminds me - as I said, I initially tried to do this with those generic ZIFF adapters from eBay. When I first tried to install them, I assumed they went the same way as the iFlash, with the SD card facing the back of the iPod. Obviously nothing happened when I tried that, but somebody told me that I could have damaged the ribbon cables by doing that. Is that true? Of course I didn't, like, cram anything into anything else in an unnatural way, everything seemed to fir together okay, I was just putting it in there backwards. Is there a chance this somehow, like, fried the ribbon cables? Any reason to hang my hope on that?

As far as the original hard drive goes, yeah, it seems to work okay. It began failing, which is why I'm trying to switch it out, but when I install the original drive and plug it in, iTunes goes as far as allowing me to sync music before the drive fails.

Do you have any other sd cards to try it out on, if only to make sure that everything works ok?  Failing that have you tried a complete format of the sd card and start from scratch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back