Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 4, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #8,806 of 10,664
hey! thanks for replying, mate.

i managed to put my ipod together and somehow its still working as usual. yesterday i was snooping around on some other forums and got some mixed answers about this issue. apparently some ipod videos without the grounding (broken, cut off etc) either all function perfectly fine or is dead as a dodo.

if ipod videos (seemingly) can/can't do without the ground strap, then whats the function of it really? my eternal gratitude to whoever can answer this question for me!!!

I have a 5th gen click wheel in a 7th gen iPod so the grounding is also not very good. I often have to move my finger a bit on the iPod before it starts working. With my background in electrical engineering my educated guess is this:
I have the impression that there is a (parasitic) capacitance in the circuit that needs to be (dis)charged first, it is still possible without proper grounding through other leakage channels but not as effective. This is why it still works but not as good or responsive. Well that is my guess anyway.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #8,807 of 10,664
My MyDigitalSSD 240GB BP4 V2 50mm SATA III 6G mSATA SSD recently died, I had it in my Ipod for 3 1/2 years (unfortunately the warranty is 3 years). Since I have an iFlash -CF adapter on hand I plan to order a Tarkan SD-CF adapter and a SD card to revive my Ipod.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #8,808 of 10,664
  My MyDigitalSSD 240GB BP4 V2 50mm SATA III 6G mSATA SSD recently died, I had it in my Ipod for 3 1/2 years (unfortunately the warranty is 3 years). Since I have an iFlash -CF adapter on hand I plan to order a Tarkan SD-CF adapter and a SD card to revive my Ipod.

That was short, what symptoms does it have? 

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #8,809 of 10,664

That was short, what symptoms does it have? 

I just got the message to connect to Itunes to restore the Ipod, Itunes could not restore it. I took the mSata out of the Ipod connected it to my computer but the computer no longer sees the drive, it only sees a 2mb partion. I have tried 2 different adapters so I know it is not the adapter. When I try to initialize the drive I get an I/O failure. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #8,810 of 10,664
Hi guys, been searching up and down for a solution to my problem but haven't found anything. Just bought a cf flash to microsd card adapter along with the module to put in my ipod video 5g. I've tried various methods and cards to try to get it restored with itunes, while also trying to install rockbox/ipodlinux with no luck . It will just show the Connect to iTunes screen and when I go to restore it will restore and just loop back to the Connect to iTunes screen. I have tried 5 different micro sd cards, 200gb/64gb/32gb/8gb/4gb and they all do the same thing and I also tried this method of partitioning with each card with no luck https://www.iflash.xyz/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod/comment-page-3/. It will show up as an iPod in windows and I am able to read and write to it but I cannot get it restored. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #8,812 of 10,664
  I just got the message to connect to Itunes to restore the Ipod, Itunes could not restore it. I took the mSata out of the Ipod connected it to my computer but the computer no longer sees the drive, it only sees a 2mb partion. I have tried 2 different adapters so I know it is not the adapter. When I try to initialize the drive I get an I/O failure. 

Your windows computer or Linux/ OS X computer? Because windows is not always the best for finding all the partitions. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #8,813 of 10,664

Your windows computer or Linux/ OS X computer? Because windows is not always the best for finding all the partitions. 

I am using Windows.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #8,814 of 10,664
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #8,817 of 10,664
  Has anyone tried this 3000 mAh battery for ipod video 5g/5.5g? 

I can't find the manufacturer for that cell.  (Not all that uncommon if it's a custom size.)  But if the 385879 is the dimensions code then (mAh exaguration possibility aside) it should just barely fit in 5.5g case.  That would make it 3.8mm thick (thinner than my 1900 mAh batteries I've used) but 58mm wide and 79mm tall.  That 58mm wide is the possible problem - the 1900mAh cell I have is 52mm wide and has a little wiggle room, but not a whole lot - I'd expect that this is a custom made size exactly for this purpose.

As far as energy density goes, that's about right for a new production 3.8v lipo cell now.  I built one up for a friend with a different 3000mAh battery before, but that battery was below 2500mAh capacity, but had a 2+ year old manufacturing date on it.  That battery was a (IIRC) 60557Xish sized, but the seller has long since vanished.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #8,818 of 10,664
I am using Windows.

I would propose plugging it into a Linux or OS X computer and look at which partitions they show. (You can easily download a Linux image a make a live bootable USB). Another option is to use a better tool to format the drive. People here seem to like AOMEI but I don't have any experience with it.
To clarify: it highly doubt that you SSD is defective because in your iPod it is mostly used to read files, not write. The limited lifetime of flash storage is limited to the number of times you write to the drive, even when you can't write to a part of the drive you can still normally read it.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #8,820 of 10,664

I can't find the manufacturer for that cell.  (Not all that uncommon if it's a custom size.)  But if the 385879 is the dimensions code then (mAh exaguration possibility aside) it should just barely fit in 5.5g case.  That would make it 3.8mm thick (thinner than my 1900 mAh batteries I've used) but 58mm wide and 79mm tall.  That 58mm wide is the possible problem - the 1900mAh cell I have is 52mm wide and has a little wiggle room, but not a whole lot - I'd expect that this is a custom made size exactly for this purpose.

As far as energy density goes, that's about right for a new production 3.8v lipo cell now.  I built one up for a friend with a different 3000mAh battery before, but that battery was below 2500mAh capacity, but had a 2+ year old manufacturing date on it.  That battery was a (IIRC) 60557Xish sized, but the seller has long since vanished.

Is that battery definitely the new production 3.8v lipo cell? Is it possibly actually 3000mAh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back