Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #8,327 of 10,664
I've had similar problems when using SD cards with 'some' Gen5 ipods (regardless of the RAM). The latest was on a dualSD PNY TeraPod build. For me, the problem appeared to be during the upload of the files, because if I erased the offending files, they can often be reloaded to the ipod often without the skipping problem. However, I got so tired of dealing with this issue, I disassembed the ipod and moved the dualSD to a Gen7.

Interestingly, this problem does not occur with the Classic (Gen7 or Gen6.5) using the same set up: 2x500gb PNY ElitePerformance SD in a Tarkan DualSD. In August, I built two rigs, one Gen6.5 and one Gen7, and installed the latest beta build of Rockbox Classic. The Gen7 has a standard ipod battery, I think it was 600mAh, and the Gen6.5 has a 3000mAh battery. Both perform like a charm.

For kicks, I also built three SD ipod mini's - one with 64gb (works great), one with 128 gb (ditto) and one with 250 gb (Lexar). The Lexar has been in every other generation (except the mini) and the performance is generally lacking, so I wanted to test it. I loaded 52,000 songs and apparently overwhelmed the database because it came up blank once the load had completed. I am loading it again (pictured) with 46,000 songs to see it if I can "fly" under the database limit (assuming this is the issue, of course).

I also built a Samsung 1T mSATA in a Tarkan adapter on a 32RAM Gen5. I loaded about 700gb externally (not thru the ipod but directly to the chip). I wasn't absolutely convinced this configuration was a dud even though I have had issues with the 32RAM boards in the past. Nevertheless, it failed after two days and shows a data abort now at 0005B140 when Rockbox tries to load. Cest la vie.  

Good to see you back on the forum.
How did you load the music? I only use 5.5s for the sound quality & ease of opening. When i loaded with rockbox, I had skipping problems. When i dual booted into OF to load, i haven't come across a single skip.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #8,328 of 10,664
Hey team!
I got my iPod today, and want to mod it with some microSD cards. I did some searching online and found this - PhotoFast CR-7200 microSD/SDHC to CF Adapter
Which is a quad microSD card to CF to fit inside of the iPod.
However, I can't find it anywhere for sale. I sent an email to Photofast but they havent replied to me yet, from the information that i've gathered so far, it seems likely that it was a product idea but never produced and sold.

What are the well known microSD options around here? I know that Tarkan's got a go-to solution for QuadmSD, however, it's quite pricy given that a used iPod costs $40 alone, but i'll keep it in mind as an option.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #8,329 of 10,664
  Hey team!
I got my iPod today, and want to mod it with some microSD cards. I did some searching online and found this - PhotoFast CR-7200 microSD/SDHC to CF Adapter
However, I can't find it anywhere for sale. I sent an email to Photofast but they havent replied to me yet, from the information that i've gathered so far, it seems likely that it was a product idea but never produced and sold.

What are the well known microSD options around here? I know that Tarkan's got a go-to solution for QuadmSD, however, it's quite pricy given that a used iPod costs $40 alone, but i'll keep it in mind as an option.

Buy once from Tarkan and know that it works, or buy from an unknown and hope it works.  If it doesn't then you have to buy again and the money between the two would have paid for Tarkan's option in the first place :p

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #8,330 of 10,664

Buy once from Tarkan and know that it works, or buy from an unknown and hope it works.  If it doesn't then you have to buy again and the money between the two would have paid for Tarkan's option in the first place :p

Well said, and Tarkan also provides very valuable support in troubleshooting scenarios, which won't be the case in buying some generic cheap crap from some non-descript eBay (or worse) seller whose product might work, or maybe only intermittently, or perhaps not at all.

Not worth the time and trouble, when the iFlash has been in the known to work category for years now.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8,331 of 10,664
  Hey team!

You realize that product was announced by Gizmodo in 2009?

I'm not sure it ever saw the light of day, likely vaporware, however there are a few more problems even if it were available.

It is described as working in RAID mode, which is not compatible with iPod, only SDHC compatible (limited to 32GB capacity cards), and it was $30, not exactly saving huge money there as opposed to the known to work Tarkan microSD adapter.

Don't bother with stuff like this, it will only give you a headache in the end.

Well known microSD options? I know of exactly one.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,332 of 10,664

Hey team!

You realize that product was announced by Gizmodo in 2009?

I'm not sure it ever saw the light of day, likely vaporware, however there are a few more problems even if it were available.

It is described as working in RAID mode, which is not compatible with iPod, only SDHC compatible (limited to 32GB capacity cards), and it was $30, not exactly saving huge money there as opposed to the known to work Tarkan microSD adapter.

Don't bother with stuff like this, it will only give you a headache in the end.

Well known microSD options? I know of exactly one.

Hey team!

Looks like I know what's going to be on my shopping list today.

On another note, how do the many of you in the picture gallery keep such pristine looking iPod backs?
I was thinking to get a hard shell case and cover the wide port openings using a scotch tape, or possibly a coat of superglue - something that I did with my re-400, but this time, on a much larger scale.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #8,333 of 10,664

Looks like I know what's going to be on my shopping list today.

On another note, how do the many of you in the picture gallery keep such pristine looking iPod backs?

Backplates are cheap and there's tons of new ones on eBay so they get replaced. Not to mention they started coming out with bigger capacities written on them so there u go.   

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #8,334 of 10,664
Good to see you back on the forum.
How did you load the music? I only use 5.5s for the sound quality & ease of opening. When i loaded with rockbox, I had skipping problems. When i dual booted into OF to load, i haven't come across a single skip.

Absolutely, the skipping issue is much more likely when loading through RB. However, I've not had the issue with mSATA Gen5.0 or Gen5.5 built with Crucial, BP4 and Samsung chips. I only have the issue when I use the Tarkan DualSD and 250 gb or greater cards in the Gen5.o or Gen5.5. Well, so far anyway. 

I have switched all my DualSDs to iPod Classics, now that the new beta for RB works so well with them.

I am testing the 250 gb SD in the Mini 2nd gen, just for kicks. If it doesn't work I will back off to the 128 gb, which works great. 

I am building a Gen5.5 32RAM TeraPod today, using the crappy green adapter and a Samsung EVO 840 1T. Yesterday the Gen5.0 32RAM was a big failure. I am loading trhough RB now, but I will switch to loading through the OS after I finish this first 30gb.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #8,335 of 10,664

I don't really agree with you on that one. I have a generic mSATA adapter that I bought on aliexpress that works, it was a few times cheaper than Tarkan's adapter and aliexpress also offers a great refund program in case it doesn't work. That being said I also have a dual SD adapter from Tarkan and you can see it offer more quality and it's nice that it perfectly fits in my iPod.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,336 of 10,664
Hi guys , While I was waiting for all the components to come in France, I have read some reviews of the current rivals of ipod classic, of all these promising recent chinese DAP who shares the same form factor as ipod classic like fiio x1,x3 , Hizdis 100, Benjie T1...

While I know that a moded ipod ( mine will be a ipod 5.5 ) offers a lot of advantages 100hrs battery, great capacity, good ui and design but how do they compare with the sound quality with these DAP ? Maybe some experienced users can help .

I am asking these questions because I did not own a lot of Dap in my life, I had the first nano, when it came out, then an Lg player, the fifth nano that I ended up selling, and my last was an Xduoo x2 (thanks to head fi ) which offered me truly an amazing musical experience but it died before its first anniversary ... And I did n't had the chance to listen any music on my ipod 5,5 th since its hard disk was already failling when I bought it last month.

So if someone could compare sound quality of their ipod 5, with xduoo x2 it would be nice. thanks.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,337 of 10,664
Now you can upgrade your dualPODs to 2TB when these are released 
beerchug.gif

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/20/sandisk-unveils-worlds-first-1tb-sdxc-card/

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #8,339 of 10,664
@poopsockk - I have some dual microSD to CF adaptors, and I can easy buy them locally in Taiwan. I can't find any 4x adaptors any more though. PM me if you need! I can also help with some tests, I've got Tarkan's CF and dual SD adaptors, iPod Photo and 5.5G, and a small collection of SD cards. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #8,340 of 10,664
Not sure if I can post this but I have 3 spare Tarkan mSATA adapters with thermal pads. They have never been used and were bought for iPods that I later decided to use SD cards for. I am happy to let them go for £27 each including postage in the UK and £25 + postage worldwide. I'm sure I could also do a deal for anyone who wanted to purchase all 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back