Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #8,296 of 10,664
anyone have any advice re: an 80GB Video that's stuck on the faint Apple logo? i can get iTunes to recognize it and sync music in disk mode, but it keeps rebooting (won't complete reboot) into a faint, disappearing/reappearing Apple logo.

i got it cheap; seller said "no sound via headphones" and when i received it the UI worked but no sound through headphone jack or dock connector. i swapped in a working backplate (batt + headphone/hold) and working Tarkan adapter but now it's stuck in reboot cycle.

i'm thinking the logic board is toast. any ideas welcome.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,297 of 10,664
anyone have any advice re: an 80GB Video that's stuck on the faint Apple logo? i can get iTunes to recognize it and sync music in disk mode, but it keeps rebooting (won't complete reboot) into a faint, disappearing/reappearing Apple logo.

i got it cheap; seller said "no sound via headphones" and when i received it the UI worked but no sound through headphone jack or dock connector. i swapped in a working backplate (batt + headphone/hold) and working Tarkan adapter but now it's stuck in reboot cycle.

Strange, did you try rockboxing it?

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #8,298 of 10,664

no, i prefer the OF.

what's really weird is it "works" with the original hard drive—but no sound from headphones or dock connector.

when i swap in the Tarkan (which works with another 30G Video of mine) it gets stuck in the reboot cycle.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #8,299 of 10,664
It might  

no, i prefer the OF.

what's really weird is it "works" with the original hard drive—but no sound from headphones or dock connector.

when i swap in the Tarkan (which works with another 30G Video of mine) it gets stuck in the reboot cycle.

It might not be able to boot that firmware on a different Ipod, since the logic boards have differences 32mb vs 64mb, etc, did you try to restore it with itunes and so one?

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #8,300 of 10,664

Most of the antics point to dodgy logic board.....I'm pretty certain no sound through dock is the board

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #8,301 of 10,664

Bad battery for sure, this cause the reboot cycle

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8,303 of 10,664

Isn't "no sound through dock on a video" a sign of a solder failure on one particular chip?  Am sure I've read discussions of this particular fault somewhere.

Check out this fella's webpage on the subject :
http://www.isickbay.com/call--1-877-IPOD-PRO/ipod_opinion/logic_delamination.shtml

The 5th gens logic board can be damaged through heat exposure e.g. left in direct sunlight in a car, which can lead to loss of audio.

If an iPod has no sound through the headphones, I always ask the seller if sound still comes through the usb port. If it doesn't, it's a dud.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,304 of 10,664
http://www.isickbay.com/call--1-877-IPOD-PRO/ipod_opinion/logic_delamination.shtml

The 5th gens logic board can be damaged through heat exposure e.g. left in direct sunlight in a car, which can lead to loss of audio.

If an iPod has no sound through the headphones, I always ask the seller if sound still comes through the usb port. If it doesn't, it's a dud.

interesting didn't know about this,it can be fixed by running a wire between the dac and the amp but that takes some soldering skills 

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #8,305 of 10,664

I had the same problem, and in my case, it was a faulty sd card.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #8,306 of 10,664
you guys are awesome. thanks for all your input.
It might  
It might not be able to boot that firmware on a different Ipod, since the logic boards have differences 32mb vs 64mb, etc, did you try to restore it with itunes and so one?

i've been able to get iTunes to recognize it, restore its firmware (1.3), and sync some music several times, but only when in disk mode. as soon as i eject he iPod, and restart it (menu+center button) it goes into the faint Apple logo appear/disappear loop.

Most of the antics point to dodgy logic board.....I'm pretty certain no sound through dock is the board

that's my thought also. hoping i can use this for more than parts, though — all i really wanted was the 64MB logic board!

Bad battery for sure, this cause the reboot cycle

hmmm, this battery was working fine with the 30GB Video whose backplate i switched over (along with the working Tarkan+256GB PNY SDXC). i also tried swapping out the hard drive ribbon from my working 30GB Video, but still no luck.

Isn't "no sound through dock on a video" a sign of a solder failure on one particular chip?  Am sure I've read discussions of this particular fault somewhere.

yeah, i should've asked about sound through the dock connector. my bad. i've never soldered before, so if that's the only cure for this it'll relegate this to spare parts.

thanks very much for your responses, guys. sorry for my late reply. i should be able to do some more fiddling with this again this afternoon.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #8,310 of 10,664
Originally Posted by AudioPhilistine

hoping i can use this for more than parts, though — all i really wanted was the 64MB logic board!

If that's all you really want, sometimes it can be more economical to just buy a brand new board.
I'm sure you know about...... "onehttps://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160909042204&SearchText=logic+boards+ipod"
They have a choice of two currently for around $60 ea. There's the three week wait of course but e-bay's like a mine field - you may strike lucky first time
but then you may buy three or four cheapos all with dud boards.
You acquire a ton of spare parts but let's face it, everyone wants the 64MB logic board ! - it's like the 'holy grail' of spare parts !

PS...Anyone like me thought this modding lark would be a one-off ? I did my first conversion 3 years ago & I can't stop ! I think I'm addicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back