Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 8, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #8,191 of 10,664
Hello everyone. I have 7.5G Late 2009 iPod.
Want to go the tarkan quad-iflash 4x200gb route.
BUT the only thing left holding me is the sound quality.
I remember a couple of years ago the SD sq was lower the msata.
How is the situation in 2016, especially from someone who has tried the dual iflash or quad.
Let me know please, thank you !!!

I don't think the type of media used should make a difference. However, I do feel that the 5th Gens sound better than the 6th or 7th Gens.
And whether I used the original harddrive or the iFlash-Quad or iFlash-Dual, the sound quality didn't change on the 5th Gens, though I've never used the mSata.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #8,192 of 10,664
Thank you very much for the swift reply. Yes, I am aware of the 5th gen having a better sound but if you plug in a good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 25s in my case) the difference kinda disappears. The 7.5Gs have a more precise sound, while the 6G was indeed HORRIBLE. 7.5G kinda fixed the sound issues and are like subjectively around "10% only worse" than the 5G.

It's just that everybody was saying here how the SD cards has a perceivable lower SQ than SSDs and CFs.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #8,193 of 10,664
Hello everyone. I have 7.5G Late 2009 iPod.
Want to go the tarkan quad-iflash 4x200gb route.
BUT the only thing left holding me is the sound quality.
I remember a couple of years ago the SD sq was lower the msata.
How is the situation in 2016, especially from someone who has tried the dual iflash or quad.
Let me know please, thank you !!!

This has been discussed before but having tried both the mSATA and SD, mSATA to me sounds better than SD. Also other people reported the same findings. I haven't compared SD and micro SD but I suspect that there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality.  

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8,194 of 10,664
thanks for the reply !

Yeah I figured, but going for msata goes for a significant fall in battery life which for me is a no-no and besides I don't want the bigger back plate.

Has anyone who tested recently an iDual/iQuad setup provide some details ? 
Thank you.

If I am losing only 10-20% SQ it would be acceptable

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #8,195 of 10,664
Hi, so I just bought a ipod classic 7th gen and I have a few questions:

* Does anyone here just upgrade their ipod to SD/SSD for the speed alone? My music library is 3000 songs/30gb so I have no need for more than 160gb of storage that my ipod currently has. My problem is that is really slow. Menus take forever to load, etc. So I just bought a Samsung 64gb EVO + micro sd card. Will swapping out the HDD for an iFlash Quad make my iPod vastly faster?

* My iPod is in really great shape. I would say its in better shape than if I had it (I baby my electronics). I heard some nasty stories about opening up 7th gen iPod Classics. Is there anyway to open my iPod without causing in-repairable damage to it? However, if I had to choose id rather bend the chrome back than do damage to the front plate (it literally has Zero Scratches). Any help regarding opening the ipod classic 7th gen?

Thanks for the help guys.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #8,196 of 10,664
The speed does improve but you won't see a huge difference.  Depending on how many tracks you have, the speed can vary.  You need to get yourself a few of those thin opening tools and just take your time with it.  

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #8,198 of 10,664

* Does anyone here just upgrade their ipod to SD/SSD for the speed alone? My music library is 3000 songs/30gb so I have no need for more than 160gb of storage that my ipod currently has. My problem is that is really slow. Menus take forever to load, etc. So I just bought a Samsung 64gb EVO + micro sd card. Will swapping out the HDD for an iFlash Quad make my iPod vastly faster?

* My iPod is in really great shape. I would say its in better shape than if I had it (I baby my electronics). I heard some nasty stories about opening up 7th gen iPod Classics. Is there anyway to open my iPod without causing in-repairable damage to it? However, if I had to choose id rather bend the chrome back than do damage to the front plate (it literally has Zero Scratches). Any help regarding opening the ipod classic 7th gen?

I'm in the same boat. My "7.5" gen slim is flawless and I'm really nervous about doing this. Ordered the quad adapter and the 2000mah battery to keep things slim. So, we shall see how it goes.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,199 of 10,664
Only have access to a cell. Tried to search but couldn't find an answer to this. I've been following this thread for a while & don't remember anyone talking about fixing the charging port. This leads me to believe fixing that requires soldering or something else fairly complicated. Is there an easy fix for a broken charging port?

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,200 of 10,664
Only have access to a cell. Tried to search but couldn't find an answer to this. I've been following this thread for a while & don't remember anyone talking about fixing the charging port. This leads me to believe fixing that requires soldering or something else fairly complicated. Is there an easy fix for a broken charging port?

You have to buy a new port, its 6$ or something and replace it, its not the hardest thing to solder, not like a microchip, but you do need some flux, desoldering wire and son on, also medium knowledge about soldering, here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6leD-H6Gk0w

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #8,201 of 10,664
hey guys.  i'm pretty new to the forum and am thinking about purchasing an upgraded iPod 5.5 with a 256GB SSD.  can anybody recommend a reputable seller?  i see a few people selling them on ebay but know nothing about these sellers.  also, if i buy an upgraded iPod, will it work flawlessly with iTunes?  thanks in advance!

jb

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #8,203 of 10,664
  hey guys.  i'm pretty new to the forum and am thinking about purchasing an upgraded iPod 5.5 with a 256GB SSD.  can anybody recommend a reputable seller?  i see a few people selling them on ebay but know nothing about these sellers.  also, if i buy an upgraded iPod, will it work flawlessly with iTunes?  thanks in advance!

jb

Of course. Just will have a faster drive.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #8,204 of 10,664

The difference between the old (usually) Toshiba HDD and pretty much any flash media or SSD you'll drop in is night and day - UNLESS you have many, many thousands of tracks.  Then it's not the disk seek time that induces lag, it's the index.

7th gen iPods can be finicky - go slow and don't force anything.  The first time opening them can be a bit difficult, but after that you generally get the hang of it pretty quick.  The biggest "damage" most people do to their iPods when opening them is bending or breaking the retention tabs.  That allows the front and back to move only slightly against each other after you put it back together (for that "cheap electronics" feel.)  Either that or cracking the 30-pin port's plastic gasket/liner.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #8,205 of 10,664

The difference between the old (usually) Toshiba HDD and pretty much any flash media or SSD you'll drop in is night and day - UNLESS you have many, many thousands of tracks.  Then it's not the disk seek time that induces lag, it's the index.

7th gen iPods can be finicky - go slow and don't force anything.  The first time opening them can be a bit difficult, but after that you generally get the hang of it pretty quick.  The biggest "damage" most people do to their iPods when opening them is bending or breaking the retention tabs.  That allows the front and back to move only slightly against each other after you put it back together (for that "cheap electronics" feel.)  Either that or cracking the 30-pin port's plastic gasket/liner.

Surely the biggest damage is breaking the damn battery connector off the motherboard?  Seems like everyone does that eventually if they fiddle with ipods/an ipod enough.  (Ebay sellers who disingenuously sell the result as just 'not working' while not mentioning they know full well they've done that are now a pet hate of mine!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back