Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #6,557 of 10,664
I don't have links to a good battery, but I wouldn't worry about those SSDs. Just get this. Much cheaper and more capacity

http://www.tarkan.info/20150918/tutorials/modding/launched-iflash-dual-the-ipod-dual-sd-adapter/comment-page-1

Disclaimer: I'm drunk...

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #6,558 of 10,664
I was lucky enough to receive a mint condition iPod Classic 160GB (thin one, late 2009 model) from a fellow headfier. aside from the back plate, looks flawless and the battery life ain't all that bad but its due for a replacement.

So glad to have found this thread, looking to upgrade my iPod to the max and can't wait to start upgrading it bit by bit :)  this is my first DAP since I got into this hobby and I love how portable it is, and I find myself enjoying the music more without all the extra bells and whistles that are on a cellphone. 

Is it possible to install a bigger than stock battery in a thin 160 GB classic? After doing a bit of reading, I might get the new dual card whatchamacallit and get SDXC card. 

Is is possible to get custom faceplates and backplates for the classic? Would be cool to be able to really customize it. I suppose I can always get it spray painted but I want to preserve the original one and I don't like the feeling of decal skins.

Which SDXC cards are popular these days with the cool kids?

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #6,559 of 10,664
I don't have links to a good battery, but I wouldn't worry about those SSDs. Just get this. Much cheaper and more capacity

http://www.tarkan.info/20150918/tutorials/modding/launched-iflash-dual-the-ipod-dual-sd-adapter/comment-page-1

Disclaimer: I'm drunk...

I know the dual iFlash and actually  I ve got a thin iFlash +SDXC, which is my favorite pick right know.  I bought it months ago. Today I would have chosen the dual iFlash, no doubdt.
I´m not interested in SSD for my iPods, just curiosity. Thanks!!

I was lucky enough to receive a mint condition iPod Classic 160GB (thin one, late 2009 model) from a fellow headfier. aside from the back plate, looks flawless and the battery life ain't all that bad but its due for a replacement.

So glad to have found this thread, looking to upgrade my iPod to the max and can't wait to start upgrading it bit by bit :)  this is my first DAP since I got into this hobby and I love how portable it is, and I find myself enjoying the music more without all the extra bells and whistles that are on a cellphone. 

Is it possible to install a bigger than stock battery in a thin 160 GB classic? After doing a bit of reading, I might get the new dual card whatchamacallit and get SDXC card.

Is is possible to get custom faceplates and backplates for the classic? Would be cool to be able to really customize it. I suppose I can always get it spray painted but I want to preserve the original one and I don't like the feeling of decal skins.

You got everything you need to know  here at this thread and at Tarkan´s site.  There is list of compatible SDXC there and people here use to say what it works. I ve got a 128 QUMOX and it works great in my 5.5 iPd Video with iFlash adapter. 1900 mAh battery + thick backplate.

You can get a bigger battery (1900-2000 mAh ) but you will need a thick backplate, I think. I have seen golden backplates , only.

Still needing links for thin stock  good batteries for my iPods . :)

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6,560 of 10,664
  Hi, can you tell me which parts are compatible beetwen the 5 and 7 gen ? Logic board, backplate, lcd, wheel, etc
thanks

There are very few parts compatible between Gen5 and Gen7. The back plates are universal, and you can effectively use the phone jack/hold button mechanism between the two as long as you stick with playing music. The lower bezel is universal and the hard drive connectors are universally compatible, as are the hard drives. 

You *can* put a Gen5 logic board and LCD in a Gen7 housing, if you use the Gen7 frame. In some builds, however, the Gen5 click wheel will not be exactly flush with the Gen7 aluminum body (it is raised ~1mm). Incidentally, you can put a Gen7 logic board, click wheel and LCD in a Gen5 housing, provided you use a Gen5 frame.

The click wheels, logic boards, and LCDs are Generation specific.    

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #6,561 of 10,664

There is a ton of information in this thread to answer every question you've asked. There is so much which can be learned using the search feature.

Nevertheless - the standard battery in the 160gb Gen7 has an 850mAh rating. There are batteries claimed to be 900mAh-1300mAh, and I have learned not to trust them. My experience is a 2000mAh battery is the best way to go.

Since you have a thin iPod, you can install both the dual card and the 2000mAh battery, however, you will need a thick back plate. You can still use your headphone jack/hold mechanism, but you will want to put a small piece of foam under the headphone jack for stabilization.

There are sellers on eBay to will set you up with a custom color face and back plate. I've painted them red, white, blue and flat black. I have also seen people build wooden faceplates (especially for a mod of the mini) but that's out of my league.

PNY 256 and 512gb have worked wonderfully for me in both Gen5 and Gen7. Lexar 256gb was/is very difficult to work with.  I have also used Transcend 128gb and Sandisk Extreme 64gb successfully.

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #6,563 of 10,664
So my msata 256 rockboxed 5th gen had been working ok until last week.  Now although I can connect it to the pc and it shows up as a d drive on windows I can't actually copy anything to it.  Any ideas?  Maybe it sensed I wanted to get round to doing the sdxc mod instead of the msata due to battery life and reliability issues.

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #6,564 of 10,664

Ha!

....No.  They will be fakes!

The really annoying thing is that there must be genuine-but-second-hand ones out there, but the prevalence of fakes makes it risky to buy them and conversely means you get a lower price if you happen to be selling a (real, used) card.  They (the fakes) are a scourge!

I'm still irritated I can't get my Kingston card to work with emcore.  It will only work with rockbox in a 5th gen, not in anything that needs emcore.  PNY appear to be better than Kingston, in my experience.  Damn annoying they are only available in US.  Anyone had luck with sandisk or others?

Am tempted to get a 128gb to make a 384gb as 'backup' for my 512gb one.

PNY are available through PCWorld/curry's site and amazon now.  The kicker?  More expensive (naturally) £129.00 on amazon, or £139 on pcworld.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #6,565 of 10,664

There are very few parts compatible between Gen5 and Gen7. The back plates are universal, and you can effectively use the phone jack/hold button mechanism between the two as long as you stick with playing music. The lower bezel is universal and the hard drive connectors are universally compatible, as are the hard drives. 

You *can* put a Gen5 logic board and LCD in a Gen7 housing, if you use the Gen7 frame. In some builds, however, the Gen5 click wheel will not be exactly flush with the Gen7 aluminum body (it is raised ~1mm). Incidentally, you can put a Gen7 logic board, click wheel and LCD in a Gen5 housing, provided you use a Gen5 frame.

The click wheels, logic boards, and LCDs are Generation specific.    

Ok thank you !

Concerning the dual sdxc adapter, let's say I have one 128gb and one 256gb, then I get the money to buy a second 256, will I need to do the itunes restore process to replace the sd ?
Every time we change storage on the ipod we need to use itunes ?
I was thinking to buy a micro sd card and go back and forth between my clip and my ipod with the same card, but I think it won't be possible

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #6,566 of 10,664

Ok thank you !

Concerning the dual sdxc adapter, let's say I have one 128gb and one 256gb, then I get the money to buy a second 256, will I need to do the itunes restore process to replace the sd ?
I was thinking to buy a micro sd card and go back and forth between my clip and my ipod with the same card, but I think it won't be possible

Yes, you'll need to Restore via iTunes after changing out the SD card(s).

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #6,568 of 10,664
Ok thank you !

Concerning the dual sdxc adapter, let's say I have one PNY 128gb and one PNY 256gb, then I get the money to buy a second 256, will I need to do the itunes restore process to replace the sd ?

This is also my situation. I found a PNY 128gb for $37 and a PNY 256 for $70. Took a chance on awd. They are working properly, but I would like 2 256gb. Just won't sit well with me if I pay the current price and they are much cheaper a year from now.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #6,569 of 10,664
This is also my situation. I found a PNY 128gb for $37 and a PNY 256 for $70. Took a chance on awd. They are working properly, but I would like 2 255gb. Just won't sit well with me if I pay the current price and they are much cheaper a year from now.

That will always be the case when it comes to technology. Whatever you buy a year from now, will be cheaper two years from now. Ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back