Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #4,802 of 10,664
Does anyone know if the 5.5g is known to not auto power on when connected via the dock connector?  On my 6th gen it will automatically turn on when connected to my car system.  The 5.5g I just upgraded to a 256gb sd will not turn on and connect to my car unless I press a button on the ipod.  

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #4,803 of 10,664
  Does anyone know if the 5.5g is known to not auto power on when connected via the dock connector?  On my 6th gen it will automatically turn on when connected to my car system.  The 5.5g I just upgraded to a 256gb sd will not turn on and connect to my car unless I press a button on the ipod.  

My 5.5th auto powers when I connect it to my car or home stereo.  

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #4,804 of 10,664
A few pages ago I asked about how you deal with the lack of compatibility between headphones' controls and the iPod Video, and you told me that the Apple Remote with radio or similar was the only way to go.

Despite the fact that the damn thing looks uncomfortable to use as it has that super long cord (and it doesn't help the fact that headphones don't include the kind of super short cable that the Remote seems to need), I was wondering how different is the sound coming out from the dock instead of the headphone jack?

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4,805 of 10,664
Selling my extra iPod Video 5.5G 80GB with Tarkan iFlash SATA adapter and 1TB thick metal backing.  Decided to put my 256GB setup in a 1st GEN iPod Mini and turn my 7.5G Classic to a 512GB setup.

$135 shipped in the USA. Paypay/Google Wallet only.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,806 of 10,664
As an annendum to Noodles5666's posts about selling stuff, I want to just mention that I also have 3 spare Tarkan msata adapters I'm trying to get rid of (for a discount), plus 3 thick silver metal "1 TB" back panels, and a thick GOLD "1 TB" panel. PM me if you're interested.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4,807 of 10,664
I managed to find someone at work that would trade their 7th gen 160 for my 6th gen 160.  I also managed to butcher the hell out of case opening it up.  I ordered a new one but dread the fact that I may need to open it up again in the future.  Is there something I can do to this new case that will let it stay together securely and also open it easily at the same time?  Maybe remove a couple of those metal tabs?  Anyone else try this?

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #4,808 of 10,664
Does anyone know of any UK suppliers of clear cases/ new (good quality) rear housings and coloured scroll wheels?

Also, is it possible to house an ipod video in another ipod case e.g. classic?

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,810 of 10,664
My ipod video 256 gig has been working well but now doesn't feel very solid.  Bit of flex in the case side ways and feels a bit plasticky.  Anything I can do to improve this?  In the end I secured the msata adapter with a little Velcro and seems to be fine.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,811 of 10,664
  My ipod video 256 gig has been working well but now doesn't feel very solid.  Bit of flex in the case side ways and feels a bit plasticky.  Anything I can do to improve this?  In the end I secured the msata adapter with a little Velcro and seems to be fine.

I just replaced my front panel and back metal housing and it feels sturdy again.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,813 of 10,664
Also separate question, does anyone know why I can transfer files (FLAC) in Disk Mode on my Rockbox'ed Tarkan 128GB SDXC Ipod Video 30gb, but if I try to transfer it via the normal Rockbox menu, I get crashes/file corruption?

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #4,814 of 10,664
  I managed to find someone at work that would trade their 7th gen 160 for my 6th gen 160.  I also managed to butcher the hell out of case opening it up.  I ordered a new one but dread the fact that I may need to open it up again in the future.  Is there something I can do to this new case that will let it stay together securely and also open it easily at the same time?  Maybe remove a couple of those metal tabs?  Anyone else try this?

I bought some good tools from Ifixit to help opening the Ipod. After you have opened it a few times, it becomes a little easier but still remains secure when closed.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4,815 of 10,664

I had the same concerns and took my Dremel to the small lips on the front cover that the clips on the back cover match up to.  The pressure clips still hold the case together nicely and it now opens as easily as my 5.5 gen ipods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back