Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4,591 of 10,664
To close my story on this thread, I ended up using Super Talent ZT3 256GB PATA ZIF (part# FZM56GF18H). I was actively using it over the weekend: listening, syncing, rebooting, and was not able to repro red cross, so decided to close it up.

Will report next time, when it stops working. :)
Cheers.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #4,592 of 10,664
I admit to not reading the entire thread, but in my reading of quite a bit some things arent clear to me. What causes the mSATA corruption issue during normal use? The drive needs too much power so it starts to corrupt itself due to voltage sag before the iPod tries to power itself off with a low battery?

Also, what's the issue with loading music on the mSATA drive in the iPod? Doesn't the data transfer cable also charge the iPod?

Does the SDXC to CF with Tarkan CF adapter have the same two issues?

From my experience with an iPod Classic on a hard drive, it likes to commit suicide midtransfer by disconnecting leading to filesystem corruption. This in my experience necessitates reformatting the drive and transferring everything again. When I switched to using an SDXC card I actually used a dremel tool to cut a hole in the iPod so I could remove the card for when I want to add files. So far I've had no issue with this method.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,593 of 10,664
  To close my story on this thread, I ended up using Super Talent ZT3 256GB PATA ZIF (part# FZM56GF18H). I was actively using it over the weekend: listening, syncing, rebooting, and was not able to repro red cross, so decided to close it up.

Will report next time, when it stops working. :)
Cheers.

How much you paid for that SSD?

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #4,594 of 10,664

I admit to not reading the entire thread, but in my reading of quite a bit some things arent clear to me. What causes the mSATA corruption issue during normal use? The drive needs too much power so it starts to corrupt itself due to voltage sag before the iPod tries to power itself off with a low battery?

Also, what's the issue with loading music on the mSATA drive in the iPod? Doesn't the data transfer cable also charge the iPod?

Does the SDXC to CF with Tarkan CF adapter have the same two issues?

From my experience with an iPod Classic on a hard drive, it likes to commit suicide midtransfer by disconnecting leading to filesystem corruption. This in my experience necessitates reformatting the drive and transferring everything again. When I switched to using an SDXC card I actually used a dremel tool to cut a hole in the iPod so I could remove the card for when I want to add files. So far I've had no issue with this method.

Pictures of the back cover of your iPod please.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,595 of 10,664

I don't think there is.  Even the PATA 240gb drive seems to be scarce now (I wanted a second one, but they now cost too much!).

I think with the logic board you have Rockbox is the only way to use a bigger drive.  Rockbox does seem to work though, even if its officially "not available" for the classic.

I managed to get my hands on a 5th generation ipod 60gb.  It’s a fatter case.  From the looks of Tarkans website I should be good to go.  Any recommendations on hard drives?  SSD or is there any standard hard drives available anymore?

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,596 of 10,664
  I managed to get my hands on a 5th generation ipod 60gb.  It’s a fatter case.  From the looks of Tarkans website I should be good to go.  Any recommendations on hard drives?  SSD or is there any standard hard drives available anymore?

I think a 5th gen 80gb would be marginally better, but as I understand it, a 60gb should still work (edit - I'm fairly sure it would anyway, someone else can probably say for sure).

As far as I can make out, the 240gb PATA drives are still available on Ebay in the US - just not over here!  That's a pretty easy upgrade and one that definitely works.

Or there are umpteen variations on SDXC or SSD solutions - just read the last 300+ pages of this thread!

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,597 of 10,664
  I think a 5th gen 80gb would be marginally better, but as I understand it, a 60gb should still work (edit - I'm fairly sure it would anyway, someone else can probably say for sure).

As far as I can make out, the 240gb PATA drives are still available on Ebay in the US - just not over here!  That's a pretty easy upgrade and one that definitely works.

Or there are umpteen variations on SDXC or SSD solutions - just read the last 300+ pages of this thread!

Thanks.  Does that 240gb PATA drive require any adapters?  Which model is it?  If I don’t go this route I am going to get the Iflash from tarkan for a 256gb SDXC.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,598 of 10,664
  How much you paid for that SSD?

I got it from some reseller through newegg. Just realized it was $256, which makes it a dollar per GB. :)

For the next who would like to try PATA SSD - I'd really recommend getting this new 512GB Wintec (EWS-800). It is OEM, but hopefully there will be some resellers on the ebay soon.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,599 of 10,664

I loaded nearly completely stock 160gB on my iPod Classic (7.5g) using iTunes several years ago after I got it without any issue.  After replacing the stock HD with the Tarkan adapters + SDXC card you can't do the same?  Or is it just the Rockbox firmware that has issues with large data transfers?

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4,600 of 10,664

I loaded nearly completely stock 160gB on my iPod Classic (7.5g) using iTunes several years ago after I got it without any issue.  After replacing the stock HD with the Tarkan adapters + SDXC card you can't do the same?  Or is it just the Rockbox firmware that has issues with large data transfers?

RockBox is the one who has issues.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4,601 of 10,664
Nevermind sorted it.  First installed the normal way and then in the excitement booted it without the patch.  That led to a panic error and then had to reset and reinstall.  THEN when I copied over the patch folders (extracted on mac, but doing the install on windows laptop, don't ask) led to another error as the files were missing and was just another empty folder which led to another reinstall.  Still got there in the end.  Now to load this thing up and see what it can really do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back