Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,886 of 10,664
Can I use any other adaptor?

This taskan cost more that double in reference to the rest.

Which difference between taskan and the rest of generic adaptors?

Here is what Tarkan said in the comments on his site.

http://www.tarkan.info/20140508/tutorials/modding/first-look-iflash-sata
On September 3rd, 2014, Tarkan said:
iFlash-sata uses slightly less power, but more importantly has much better jitter and error rate then the cheaper boards – this translates in to less time retrying due to errors etc.

But the overriding factor in battery life is the mSata drive itself – so my board will not be a massive improvement to the time you get now.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,887 of 10,664

Have you tried copying the music over with the drive outside of the ipod, ie via a motherboard or external adapter?  I'll leave it to Dminor and others to chip in but I think they had problems when they had tried to copy over more than 137 or so gig via usb or itunes.  I think it's been discussed fairly recently so try going back a few pages.

Yes, i tried but when it is rockboxed or even formatted with iTunes, the drive won't be recognize when plugged with an external adaptor : Windows or OSX says it need to format. So i'm very interested to understand how some can do that from an external drive or MB ? 
I saw the different issues with copying files. I do not have a disk failure when copying because of the special Y USB/Firewire Cable. I got no error when transfering files. Everything seems to be good but when i reboot the iPod, it is blocked. Some says that iTunes on 5th G can't handle more than 30k files. It seems weird to me and that's what i am trying to know right now, by approching this limit and testing after every load. Other test is copying 10-20 Go on the mounted hard drive, under Rockbox and see if it starts and then going back with 20 more Go, ... and so on. But it's a long way to the top....

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #3,888 of 10,664
Guys,

I need your help!!! I got my Tarkan adapter, ( a very professional card) and Samsung 500Gb. All installed and I was loading my Itunes library, about 11K songs, everything was going well when PC went to sleep. Itunes locked up and I had to reboot.
Every since then my Ipod has the X, I can get to the disk mode but nothing else. I've reinstalled everything, but so far no luck.

Thanks,

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,889 of 10,664
  Samsung EVO 840... 1TB :wink:
A question has risen in my mind... What file systems does the classic / rockbox support. and does it even matter?
The HDD seems to be fat32. But could it be possible to use btrfs/ext4/ext3/ntfs.. ? and if so, how much could it effect on battery life.

Congratulations, I'm jealous! The 1TB is my next step so I've very interested to hear how you get on - good luck with it.

I don't think there's any option to use different file systems, I've certainly never seen it discussed. I think the power consumption of these drives is related to the fundamental technology employed so the file system is unlikely to have a significant effect. 

One thing I am considering is whether I should try to pick to a 60GB 5 gen device for the terrapod mod, rather than the 80GB 5.5 gen that I have lined up for it. It was discussed a while back in this thread that it's possible to load the SSD directly from a PC when used with a 5th gen iPod MB, but not a 5.5 gen. Given the power issues it would be nice to do the initial load externally.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,890 of 10,664
  @DMinor

Guys! New information concerning 2000mah battery and real play time!

I contacted Alex concerning the 2000mah battery which keeps my ssd-iPod (apple firmware & rockbox) just 20-22 hours alive.

His answer:

He builts and tests as well the 5.5 iPod Video with the Tarkan-mSata-Adapter and a Crucial 480gb chip. He says that this combination is very very power hungry.
This kit with an original battery works only for 7-8 hours, he says. With the 2000mah battery he stated: yes, playtime is around 20-22 hours !!!!!!!! (not around 100h !!)

He doesn't use this combination anymore, as its power consumption is way to big. Alex normaly uses CE/ZIF SSDs which can be used directly without an adapter. This CE/ZIF SSD in combination with the 2000mah battery has a play time of up to 120-150 hours, he says.

And yeah, with normal HDD the working time of the 2000mah battery is about 100hours, he says!!

Alex is a very nice guy and thanks to him we have an amazing battery. But the problem is that the tarkan& (crucial 480) ssd-chip is waaaay to power hungry ;-(

As I am not sooo satisfied with 20-22hours (i know, its already gooood). Does another chip around 500 gb or the 1tb samsung chip offer (quite) more battery life?

edit:
@beyondwind 
did you do this test more than once? Cause I never ever get 36 hours and Alex told me that with the Tarkan-mSata and the Crucial 480gb in a 5.5g it is realistic to get about 20-22 hours battery life out of the 2000mah 

The BP4 240GB is much less power demanding than the other msata's I have tried.

Also with a few power on's/off's and some file/folder browsing and manually switching a few albums everyday, I doubt it will get you 100 hrs or even close to 100 hrs with any type of drives.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #3,891 of 10,664
  @DMinor

Guys! New information concerning 2000mah battery and real play time!

I contacted Alex concerning the 2000mah battery which keeps my ssd-iPod (apple firmware & rockbox) just 20-22 hours alive.

His answer:

He builts and tests as well the 5.5 iPod Video with the Tarkan-mSata-Adapter and a Crucial 480gb chip. He says that this combination is very very power hungry.
This kit with an original battery works only for 7-8 hours, he says. With the 2000mah battery he stated: yes, playtime is around 20-22 hours !!!!!!!! (not around 100h !!)

He doesn't use this combination anymore, as its power consumption is way to big. Alex normaly uses CE/ZIF SSDs which can be used directly without an adapter. This CE/ZIF SSD in combination with the 2000mah battery has a play time of up to 120-150 hours, he says.

And yeah, with normal HDD the working time of the 2000mah battery is about 100hours, he says!!

Alex is a very nice guy and thanks to him we have an amazing battery. But the problem is that the tarkan& (crucial 480) ssd-chip is waaaay to power hungry ;-(

As I am not sooo satisfied with 20-22hours (i know, its already gooood). Does another chip around 500 gb or the 1tb samsung chip offer (quite) more battery life?

edit:
@beyondwind 
did you do this test more than once? Cause I never ever get 36 hours and Alex told me that with the Tarkan-mSata and the Crucial 480gb in a 5.5g it is realistic to get about 20-22 hours battery life out of the 2000mah 

I stand behind my test result; ipod 5.5G, 64mb RAM, 2000mAh battery, crucial 480g, generic green adapter, a mix of regular mp3, various coding rate. 
And my battery is tested with my DIY microcontroller capacity meter so it is true 2000mAh. It took me a few weeks to make the capacity meter, just to make sure that my number is valid. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,893 of 10,664
  I stand behind my test result; ipod 5.5G, 64mb RAM, 2000mAh battery, crucial 480g, generic green adapter, a mix of regular mp3, various coding rate. 
And my battery is tested with my DIY microcontroller capacity meter so it is true 2000mAh. It took me a few weeks to make the capacity meter, just to make sure that my number is valid. 

That's impressive diy project.

Did you just turn on the ipod with a fully charged battery and then let it continuously play till the battery completely drained? No stops in between?

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3,895 of 10,664
  Right, continuous playback.

Practically, you will have a few power on's/off's everyday, possibly browsing a few folders and switching albums too. With that, the play hrs left could be cut down by half. I have a bad habit of browsing folders/files and hardly finish an album completely from beginning to end.

If you get your hands on a Miliamp 850mAh battery, you may run a battery test on that one too. Very good battery. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #3,896 of 10,664
Can I use any other adaptor?

Absolutely, the generic adapter, aka "green" adapter. 

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Guys, 

Here is my latest problem with Terapod and 500G' Pod:

- I have two iPod 5g (Ex.5G Video Ipod 30Gb), with the Tarkan mSata adapters and 850mAH battery. 
   One has the Samsung mSata 840 Evo 1 To and the other one the 500 Go Samsung 840 Evo.

I had no problems restoring and preparing it, setting it as new ipods and transfering music on it with iTunes (both tried PC and Mac)

-->  With 10 or 15 Go of music, i can use it and it works great, getting off and on flawlessly. But when i try to put more music like 100-300 Go of files, i can play files so long as the iPod stays on. But when it is switched off, i get the endless startup Apple screen, and i am blocked. Sometimes, it goes to the Sad iPod screen and it is the same story.

What is weird is that i can easily enter to the disk mode and when i switch it back to my OSX Mac on iTunes, the iPod reappears and seems fully functional : i can see the files, i can copy or delete files, i can play music from the iPod, within iTunes, etc. I can also see the disk on the Mac desktop and have access to it. The batteries are fully charged as i can see, so it's not a power problem.

Do you know how I can break the deadlock here, permitting a correct standalone boot ?  
In this kind of case, I simply do not understand what can be in cause.

If you have a clue or any leads that can helps ! 

Thks a lot !

Have you tried copying the music over with the drive outside of the ipod, ie via a motherboard or external adapter?  I'll leave it to Dminor and others to chip in but I think they had problems when they had tried to copy over more than 137 or so gig via usb or itunes.  I think it's been discussed fairly recently so try going back a few pages.

As for the Samsung 1TB msata, dr408517 found out that only reformatting thru MB will get the ipod recognized for restore. Initially, I made many attempts to format via USB port using an external adapter without success. Eventually, I formatted it via MB and it worked like magic. Better yet, for 5g (not 5.5g) I was able to load that drive all thru motherboard with 924 GB's of my music much faster. Again thanks to dr408517's tips. 

Now my Teradiymod is powered by a Miliamp 850mAh battery and it's a beauty. :)

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3,897 of 10,664
  Guys,

I need your help!!! I got my Tarkan adapter, ( a very professional card) and Samsung 500Gb. All installed and I was loading my Itunes library, about 11K songs, everything was going well when PC went to sleep. Itunes locked up and I had to reboot.
Every since then my Ipod has the X, I can get to the disk mode but nothing else. I've reinstalled everything, but so far no luck.

Thanks,

Hello, This are steps that i went thru. If you can get into disk mode, then iTunes might recognize the iPod but it takes times, often more than 5 real mn. So leave it plugged for let's say 15 mn and see what's happens. You can change computer if you can, sometimes it helps.
If this don't work, the solution is to take off the ssd and format it in the fat mode from a USB access. When you will put back ssd in, iTunes will recognize an iPod in recovery mode and will format it. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #3,898 of 10,664
  Hello, This are steps that i went thru. If you can get into disk mode, then iTunes might recognize the iPod but it takes times, often more than 5 real mn. So leave it plugged for let's say 15 mn and see what's happens. You can change computer if you can, sometimes it helps.
If this don't work, the solution is to take off the ssd and format it in the fat mode from a USB access. When you will put back ssd in, iTunes will recognize an iPod in recovery mode and will format it. 

So you were able to format it via USB port using an adapter for ipod to restore it? Which Samsung msata?

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #3,899 of 10,664

So you were able to format it via USB port using an adapter for ipod to restore it? Which Samsung msata?

Well, in fact i have no problem to go to recovery mode and format it, from iTunes or getting an usb adapter Msata->Sata and format the disk outside the iPod.
I have the 2 Samsung Evo 840 models, one in 500 Go and one with 1 To.
What i can't do is when the disk is ready to copy music (as Apple OF or with Rockbox) to copy music files outside the iPod, from a MB or an SSD adapter because in this case the disk is unreadable and has to be formatted so i wonder how some of you succeed in writing with MB.

My major problem for now is to go beyond 80/100 Go of files. As i can totally fill the ssd with no bugs (I have the Y USB/Firewre cable), it stills bugging at reboot. When i plug back the iPod in disk mode,and into computer, i see it normally via iTunes and the disk (both on iTunes and desktop) and have access to the music. But i can't get it to work again from this point in a standalone mode.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3,900 of 10,664
  Well, in fact i have no problem to go to recovery mode and format it, from iTunes or getting an usb adapter Msata->Sata and format the disk outside the iPod.
I have the 2 Samsung Evo 840 models, one in 500 Go and one with 1 To.
What i can't do is when the disk is ready to copy music (as Apple OF or with Rockbox) to copy music files outside the iPod, from a MB or an SSD adapter because in this case the disk is unreadable and has to be formatted so i wonder how some of you succeed in writing with MB.

My major problem for now is to go beyond 80/100 Go of files. As i can totally fill the ssd with no bugs (I have the Y USB/Firewre cable), it stills bugging at reboot. When i plug back the iPod in disk mode,and into computer, i see it normally via iTunes and the disk (both on iTunes and desktop) and have access to the music. But i can't get it to work again from this point in a standalone mode.

That's interesting. You were able to format the Samsung 1TB externally via a USB port using an adpater and ipod was able to recognize it for restore without giving a sad face, correct? What adapter do you have and are you running a Mac?  AFAIK, dr408517, cmarti and myself were all unsuccessful getting the ipod to recognize the Samsung 1TB formatted via USB port.

You may try to format the drive thru MB, then restore, then back to MB again for copying files externally. Only if you work on a 5g, not a 5.5g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back