Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,865 of 10,664
Hi, guys. Last week I bought an iPod classic 160gb with broken hard disk. My questionS: can I upgrade it with a SSD 240gb? Anybody here did it already? Somebody can recommend the parts that I can use for this upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,866 of 10,664

The recharge and eject went ok, the BP4e mSATA isn't corrupted, apparently the iPod turned itself off before that could happen.

I disconnected the 7 year old stock battery and connected the 2000mAh replacement, which showed half a charge on the battery icon, so I'm now charging that one.

The 2000mAh battery's ribbon cable is not really positioned correctly, it's unclear how I will safely fold it to stow away properly without damaging it. 

Not sure if you use RB, but RB's battery reading for the 2000mAh isn't accurate. For my CF mod with his battery, I modified the WPS file and got rid of the battery icon. I was sick of looking at the RB battery icon showing empty while actually it wasn't. Next time I might modify it to show the battery icon to be full all the time. LOL.

As for the ribbon, I hear you. It's not the best designed.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,867 of 10,664
Hi, guys. Last week I bought an iPod classic 160gb with broken hard disk. My questionS: can I upgrade it with a SSD 240gb? Anybody here did it already? Somebody can recommend the parts that I can use for this upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can use the Tarkan adapter (or the cheap generic adapter) for msata and either Crucial 240GB msata or the BP4 240GB msata. Keep in mind the msata sucks more power due to power surges from power on and/or file browsing, so make sure you get a good battery. Either the 2000mAh battery or the Miliamp 850mAH battery is recommended. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3,869 of 10,664

Thanks in advance

Only the thin backed 7th Gen. 160GB will be able to address a 240GB SSD without Rockbox, i.e. the stock Apple firmware in the thin backed 7th Gen. is LBA48 enabled.

The earlier thick or "fat" backed 160GB 6th Gen. can't address more than 127.7GB using the stock Apple firmware because it is crippled by Apple to LBA28 limitations. The only way around that limitation with the fat/thick backed 160GB is Rockbox.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #3,870 of 10,664
My friend.

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement parts that I'll buy are listed below:

Ssd https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHVOC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_a0hrub16W7GMZ

Adapter (about this, not sure... if you are available please share tarkan adapter link)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWHVOC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_a0hrub16W7GMZ

Some doubts:
Is mandatory replace battery?
If I replace the battery, is mandatory replace the backplate for the thick one?
If I replace the HD for SSD, it will bring some improvement in battery consumption?

Thanks a lot for your support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back