Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #10,621 of 10,664
I don't suppose anyone will know the answer to this (as maybe I'm the only one to consider experimenting to find out - from just pure curiosity as much as anything), but, in case anyone has tried it...

Is there any benefit to going over 2TB, given the constraints of Rockbox and FAT32? Even by a little bit? That is, is there any gain in the ultimate usable post-formatting storage in, say, an iFlash quad with cards 1Tb+512Gb+512Gb+128Gb, compared to just using the first three?

Mainly asking because, after years of repeatedly upgrading ipods as card prices come down, I'm left with some 128Gb cards that there seems to be no way of using in an iflash quad if one is trying to get the maximum capacity out of it. I've made efficient use of the 256Gb cards, with a combo of 1Tb+512Gb+256Gb+256Gb, but the 128gb cards I have now seem a bit redundant, as there's no maths that will let you use them and add up to 2Tb.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #10,622 of 10,664
Ec1vE9n.jpeg
Hi everybody! I know that maybe I’m late a few years for hype train, but I’m in iPods and Chinese ear buds now. Long story short, now I have 5 iPods 5gen, 30Gb/80Gb, and three earbuds - eb2s, ry4s…sounds great with iPod, but not with any EQ (peaking?)

So question about modding. I’ve got green ZIF-CF+CF-microSD, works perfect with 128Gb Samsung microSD, but I want a bigger battery too. Will square 2000mah fit with that CF adapter? Sorry if that question was already been here.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #10,623 of 10,664
Ec1vE9n.jpeg
Hi everybody! I know that maybe I’m late a few years for hype train, but I’m in iPods and Chinese ear buds now. Long story short, now I have 5 iPods 5gen, 30Gb/80Gb, and three earbuds - eb2s, ry4s…sounds great with iPod, but not with any EQ (peaking?)

So question about modding. I’ve got green ZIF-CF+CF-microSD, works perfect with 128Gb Samsung microSD, but I want a bigger battery too. Will square 2000mah fit with that CF adapter? Sorry if that question was already been here.
Not with a thin back, it would be a bit too tight, you need the extra 3mm of the thick back.

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #10,624 of 10,664
I don't suppose anyone will know the answer to this (as maybe I'm the only one to consider experimenting to find out - from just pure curiosity as much as anything), but, in case anyone has tried it...

Is there any benefit to going over 2TB, given the constraints of Rockbox and FAT32? Even by a little bit? That is, is there any gain in the ultimate usable post-formatting storage in, say, an iFlash quad with cards 1Tb+512Gb+512Gb+128Gb, compared to just using the first three?

Mainly asking because, after years of repeatedly upgrading ipods as card prices come down, I'm left with some 128Gb cards that there seems to be no way of using in an iflash quad if one is trying to get the maximum capacity out of it. I've made efficient use of the 256Gb cards, with a combo of 1Tb+512Gb+256Gb+256Gb, but the 128gb cards I have now seem a bit redundant, as there's no maths that will let you use them and add up to 2Tb.
Someone on eBay seems to have figured out how to, but I’ve never got a rockboxed iPod to recognise anything above about 1.3tb or so.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #10,625 of 10,664
IMG_0982.jpegIMG_0983.jpegJust finished off my long haul travel pod,
5.5 gen dac modded in a full black 7th slim housing / red wheel quad iflash 4x512gb cards and a 3000mAh battery hooked up to the NX7 portable amp, great for taking out as well if I’m testing out new headphones to buy as this amp has some serious portable power 👍

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #10,626 of 10,664
5.5 gen dac modded in a full black 7th slim housing / red wheel quad iflash 4x512gb cards and a 3000mAh battery hooked up to the NX7 portable amp, great for taking out as well if I’m testing out new headphones to buy as this amp has some serious portable power 👍

Nice trick to get a video in a 7th gen housing - always seemed to me that the difficulty in doing that was the slightly-differently-sized clickwheels. The only way I could imagine of getting round that would be if one could combine the sensor part from the 5.5 with the disk from a 7th gen (but never actually tried doing it) - is that what you did there?

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #10,627 of 10,664
Someone on eBay seems to have figured out how to, but I’ve never got a rockboxed iPod to recognise anything above about 1.3tb or so.

I've had no problem getting them to work with various permutations up to 4x512Gb (which comes out as something like 1.86Tb). Just not at all sure if the 2Tb FAT32 (or is it MBR that creates the limitation?) limit applies to the pre-formated size or post-format size or if it is Terrabytes or Terribytes, and hence not sure if anything over 4x512Gb would be completely wasted, or if there was scope for squeezing a bit more capacity out of it.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #10,628 of 10,664
Nice trick to get a video in a 7th gen housing - always seemed to me that the difficulty in doing that was the slightly-differently-sized clickwheels. The only way I could imagine of getting round that would be if one could combine the sensor part from the 5.5 with the disk from a 7th gen (but never actually tried doing it) - is that what you did there?
I’ve tried a few ways from trimming the back to sanding the front all worked ok but swapping the wheel front off a 7 and transferring to the 5 sensor is the best way, the wheel swap is easy, it’s modding the mid frame that’s a pain as they are pretty brittle.

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #10,631 of 10,664

I love my NX7. Good analog amps are getting hard to find. Also, your modding skills put mine to shame. Do you make your own cables too?

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #10,632 of 10,664
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #10,633 of 10,664
I love my NX7. Good analog amps are getting hard to find. Also, your modding skills put mine to shame. Do you make your own cables too?
I’ve 30 years time served electronics engineer with a full lab / microscope and all the tools at my disposal so it makes life easier, yeah make all my own cables. The blank 30 pins are near on impossible to find now so I buy these off Amazon £4 and cut off the cable and pop open the housing ( very easy ) there is a small pcb inside with the markings for L / R / GND de solder the old cable and just at your own. IMG_0989.jpeg

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #10,634 of 10,664
Are there any other old players that can be modded/upgraded ipod-style? A very general, open, question, I know, but was just curious.

I remember once wanting one of those Sony 20Gb hard-drive based ones (NWA-3000?), a lifetime ago and not being able to afford it. I've read, though, that those have some stupid arbitrary firmware limitation that stops you upgrading the drive beyond the one it comes with, though, otherwise they'd be upgradable.

I've modded a few ipod-Minis but those things are frustratingly fragile, you only have to touch the internals and things stop working, I found.

Can any of the creative nomad players be upgraded in storage size?

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #10,635 of 10,664
Are there any other old players that can be modded/upgraded ipod-style? A very general, open, question, I know, but was just curious.

I remember once wanting one of those Sony 20Gb hard-drive based ones (NWA-3000?), a lifetime ago and not being able to afford it. I've read, though, that those have some stupid arbitrary firmware limitation that stops you upgrading the drive beyond the one it comes with, though, otherwise they'd be upgradable.

I've modded a few ipod-Minis but those things are frustratingly fragile, you only have to touch the internals and things stop working, I found.

Can any of the creative nomad players be upgraded in storage size?
I don't see why you'd need to mod the Sony ones as their sd card slot should support up to 2TB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back