Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 21, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #10,636 of 10,664
I remember seeing a post about modding an iRiver H300 model.

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #10,638 of 10,664
Does anybody have a functioning ALO or DIY iMod 5/5.5 they would sell me?

I found a Vcap dock and want to hear its sound.

IMG_6769.jpeg

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #10,639 of 10,664
IMG_1005.jpegIMG_1009.jpegIMG_1008.jpegIMG_1006.jpeg
Going to be listing this up soon but thought I’d give the thread of pod devotees the first chance of a bargain, this is the first 5.5 I put in a thin back 7th gen metal front so the only thing to note is the wheel is a little proud as this was before I found a way to minimise the extra height of the center wheel, but it’s only a couple of mm and doesn’t effect anything other than being cosmetic if your real picky and if it’s in the silicone case it eliminates this and a couple of marks as seen in the picture at the dock area due to me having to open it up once to move the battery over to fit the housing together properly, the rest of the housing is fine and scratch free, so what you get is a 5.5 with a new bright screen 3000mAh battery quad iflash with 2x 512 gb Samsung cards matt screen and rear protectors silicone case data cable and a small hard shell case that will take the pod and some headphones and an original box ( not matching serial numbers ) but it’s a nice extra I guess. Pre loaded with nearly 12,000 Alac files of various music something for everyone, use copy trans and you can take off what you want before re syncing it, all I’m asking is what it cost to put together. 1tb pods go for a lot more on eBay so grab a bargain £150 including posting out to anywhere is what I’m asking.

Just seen a couple of light marks on the right side of the back casing now I’m being really picky but thought I’d mention it, you can always change the back if you really want but only do this if you know what your doing as it’s a really snug fit and you’ve got to get all the internals in the right position otherwise you’ll damage something. Still a bargain of a classic pod !
Hey,

I'm very interested by your ipod :0)

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #10,642 of 10,664
I don't see why you'd need to mod the Sony ones as their sd card slot should support up to 2TB?

I mean these (I think they came in 6gb and 20gb versions, hard-drive based, so in theory upgradable):

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ayers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a3000/specifications

The internal hard-drive can be swapped, much as with ipod classics, but I read that it then won't work as something in the firmware refuses to accept anything beyond the original 20Gb.

Not really important, just I remember a long time ago wanting one of those and being unable to afford it - would be nice if they could have been upgraded as with ipods (I don't think RB is available for them, though). I like the physical construction of the things.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #10,643 of 10,664
Damn, dropped two modded ipods in a row. Was away from home, had two with me, managed to drop both of them in exactly the same way (ipod lying on the table, headphones on my head, I stand up, cable pulls ipod off table so it falls on floor with a crash - then I do it _again_ with the other ipod).

For both of them it caused the iFlash cable to become disconnected, now got to go home and open them up and fix them again. Hoping it hasn't damaged the battery connector as happened the previous time I dropped one.

Of course, find myself thinking if I'm having to open it up anyway, maybe it's time to buy another memory card and upgrade it again (one of them is only 3x512Gg+256Gb, so not quite 2Tb yet). The deterrent to doing so is that it takes literally 24 hours to do a full sync once restored.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #10,644 of 10,664
Am seriously baffled by the behaviour of those generic green (non-Tarkan) zif adaptors. Have never managed to work out why they work in some ipods but not others. Anyone know what's up with them?

Been going through my big box of ipod spare parts trying to find combos that will work, and still don't understand why I've gotten those cheap generic adaptors to work sometimes - have managed to make working flash-mods with both 5th gen and 6th gen ipods, using those things and 128gb memory cards - but other times you can never get past the sad-ipod-face or the 'usb device has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognise it' message (when it's not the logic board that's the problem, because the same board will work with a hard-drive or with a Tarkan adaptor, and nor does it seem to be the memory card)

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #10,646 of 10,664
right angle 30 pin plugs any ideas where to locate them now

Right angle 30pin to 3.5mm adapters are getting scarce. Fiio used to make one but that’s been discontinued. Xduoo still makes one but it’s hard to find. I bought some a few years ago but they're no longer listed on that website. You could always use the longer ones that aren't right angle from eBay but they will be bulkier.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #10,648 of 10,664
Got my ipod reformatted and some music on it before iTunes decided to recognize it anymore anyone have any ideas or open to take a look at
playing music an the sound has more clarity & stage then my current xsmax pro

Attachments

• IMG_2552.png
    IMG_2552.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2550.png
    IMG_2550.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #10,649 of 10,664
My dilemma: I haven’t had any time for it, so I posted my 5.5 for sale. However, there are still a couple mods I could do that would be fun. I’ve replaced the battery with a nice fresh one, and running .flac through rockbox, but I could add flash card hard drives, or the more daunting output mod. What to do, what to do…

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #10,650 of 10,664
Hi there, I've only just found this thread, but I've been a head-fi user for a while now. I've an ipod 5.5 which I modded years ago to accept micro SD cards. I hadn't used it in ages, but just picked it up again and it's amazing how good it sounds with decent IEMs. So, am I correct in saying the only other mod to improve the sound quality is the one where you wire in some fresh resistors internally? I don't really fancy running the ipod with a big bulky DAC, it's just not how I use it. But I do have something called a Gear4 Blueye which connects via the 30 pin connector and was sold as a combined remote control/Bluetooth phonecall connector/Radio. Does anyone know; If I did the resistor mod, would it improve the sound through the Blueye? Or does the Blueye use it's own internal DAC, rendering the mod pointless in this use-case?
Doing a quick search on Amazon, I can't see any small Amps, they're all at least as big as the iPod. Are there any to look out for?

Many thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back