Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #10,531 of 10,664
Hi
I own a iPod classic with rockbox and 1tb storage. Works great but still have problems copying music over to it. I generally drag and drop files but this doesn’t always work on the iPod. Also some files just don’t work. I think it may be due to files with embedded art. Any help would be great

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #10,534 of 10,664
Thanks for your answers!

I did check that the album art was embedded in the track with the software I use to tag my songs which is called Tagr https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/tagr-5/id1450308734?l=en&mt=12
When copying the same track to my Sony DAP the album art is displaying correctly :weary:
😤

I don't really know/understand how the iPod original firmware actually handles cover art. Does it not use its own database, rather than looking at embedded art?
Probably better to ask about the issue on Apple's forums.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #10,535 of 10,664
Hi
I own a iPod classic with rockbox and 1tb storage. Works great but still have problems copying music over to it. I generally drag and drop files but this doesn’t always work on the iPod. Also some files just don’t work. I think it may be due to files with embedded art. Any help would be great

I assume you are copying files to it when it's in the original firmware mode? Though Rockbox's disk driver has improved recently with regard to flash mods, I think it's still less than flawless.
Alternatively it might be due to the embedded art being too large. There's an option now to only display art from accompanying flies rather than embedded, assuming you are using a recent development version of Rockbox.
(Which is the other thing, I assume you aren't using an older point-release version like 3.15 or something? If so, try the most recent development version)

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #10,536 of 10,664
I assume you are copying files to it when it's in the original firmware mode? Though Rockbox's disk driver has improved recently with regard to flash mods, I think it's still less than flawless.
Alternatively it might be due to the embedded art being too large. There's an option now to only display art from accompanying flies rather than embedded, assuming you are using a recent development version of Rockbox.
(Which is the other thing, I assume you aren't using an older point-release version like 3.15 or something? If so, try the most recent development version)
I've just checked and my rockbox is version 3.14! How do I upgrade the rockbox? I was given the ipod like this

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #10,537 of 10,664
I've just checked and my rockbox is version 3.14! How do I upgrade the rockbox? I was given the ipod like this

Should really ask on Rockbox forums, but basically you can either use the installer (current version 1.5.1) or find the link to the development versions on there and download the most recent one, and just unzip it to the ipod, overwriting the 3.14 version.

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #10,538 of 10,664

Also the more recent dev versions have an option under settings/playback/album art to choose whether to display embedded art or folder art or not display cover art at all. Once you have a up-to-date version of RB installed you could try that and see if it makes any difference with the problem tracks.

Changes since 3.14 are listed here, there are a lot of them, it's possible something might be relevant to the problem you are having

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #10,539 of 10,664
Also the more recent dev versions have an option under settings/playback/album art to choose whether to display embedded art or folder art or not display cover art at all. Once you have a up-to-date version of RB installed you could try that and see if it makes any difference with the problem tracks.

Changes since 3.14 are listed here, there are a lot of them, it's possible something might be relevant to the problem you are having

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges
Thanks :) I've installed the new rockbox with barely any problem. I've ran my files through musicbee and converted them to flac and it seems to be doing the trick. I'm now just drag and dropping them in to a music folder on the ipod. Seems unhappy with mass drag and drop so I'm only doing a few at a time

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #10,540 of 10,664
Thanks :) I've installed the new rockbox with barely any problem. I've ran my files through musicbee and converted them to flac and it seems to be doing the trick. I'm now just drag and dropping them in to a music folder on the ipod. Seems unhappy with mass drag and drop so I'm only doing a few at a time

Are you doing this with the ipod booted into the original firmware? That seems to work more reliably than using rockbox's own disk-drivers with flash mods. Even though the latter has improved with later dev versions, I wouldn't rely on it.

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #10,541 of 10,664
Yes I am. With trial and error I have found copying music over while the ipod is in its original firmware pretty reliable. In rockbox I pretty much had to copy one song at a time. I'm really surprised how good the ipod sounds actually. What iems or headphones do you use with yours? I'm tempted to get a small amp to go with it

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #10,542 of 10,664
Yes I am. With trial and error I have found copying music over while the ipod is in its original firmware pretty reliable. In rockbox I pretty much had to copy one song at a time. I'm really surprised how good the ipod sounds actually. What iems or headphones do you use with yours? I'm tempted to get a small amp to go with it

I don't have particularly high-end headphones. Not sure I want to mention them on this site, might attract derision! My prime concern with iflash mod and rockbox is to have sufficient capacity to be able to just sync my entire music and audiobook and podcast collection without having to make selections (and regularly faff around changing them). With 2Tb I can just bung the whole lot on there and work out playlists as I want.

I did use a Fiio external portable amp at one point, but that was purely in order to get round the ipod's OF volume-limiter, and that is no longer an issue once it's rockboxed.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #10,543 of 10,664
I have a few pairs of headphones/iems. I don't feel like any of them are particularly suited or not suited to the ipod. I'd use what you like.
I use amps with my ipods. Even at lower volumes, I prefer the sound with the amp. My amps all cost less than $100 each.

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #10,544 of 10,664
Hello,
a friend of mine built an macOS app for me, because I had an issue when transfering Itunes Playlists from Mac to Rockbox.
Songs containing special characters like é,ä,ô etc were skipped, because macOS utilizes a different UTF-8 than rockbox.
This app formats to the rockbox UTF-8 and also includes a simple find and replace to match file paths.
https://github.com/h0fnar/m3u8-converter
Enjoy

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #10,545 of 10,664
I have a few pairs of headphones/iems. I don't feel like any of them are particularly suited or not suited to the ipod. I'd use what you like.
I use amps with my ipods. Even at lower volumes, I prefer the sound with the amp. My amps all cost less than $100 each.
What amps would you recommend? I don't have any very difficult to drive headphones (but being ready for ones might not be a bad idea). I appreciate linearity in amplification, I use PEQ on the iPod to get my preferred sound profile. A compact solution would be the best, I don't think I would want to use a hip flask sized amp with the ipod!

I bought an iPod video last year for 40 euro, it sat with the stock firmware with me for a while until I rockbox'd it recently. Today I added iflash quad and a 1tb microsd. Now waiting for 24 hours for the data transfer from my NAS to the iPod.

Also does anyone have experience with bluetooth transmitters? No need for high fidelity, all my headphones are wired but it would be nice to be able to play tunes on a portable bluetooth speaker occasionally! Rockbox website indicates Motorola D650 might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back