Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5,522 of 10,664
One lost and two broken iPods later I once again have a working 1TB iPod.  My first one was a 5.5 gen and I had to turn off idle poweroff to prevent corruption.  This 5th gen doesn't have that problem and seems stable so far.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #5,523 of 10,664
One lost and two broken iPods later I once again have a working 1TB iPod.  My first one was a 5.5 gen and I had to turn off idle poweroff to prevent corruption.  This 5th gen doesn't have that problem and seems stable so far.

You had these problems with stock OS or RB? I wouldn't mind doing a TeraPod but just don't have enough music content to fill up.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #5,524 of 10,664
You had these problems with stock OS or RB? I wouldn't mind doing a TeraPod but just don't have enough music content to fill up.

Rockbox, but I know at least one of the times it went sad face on me was after it had booted into the stock firmware from being turned on with the hold switch on. I know at least once I tried using iPodpatcher to boot exclusively to Rockbox, but I'm pretty sure that was with the 5th gen board on which I accidentally broke the battery latch off.  One other strange issue I had with the 5.5 gen was that if I tried to plug it into my generic iPod car charger, it would lock up, but no other power source seemed to cause that.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,525 of 10,664
Hello everyone, I have been reading posts on this thread for ages now and things have gotten sooo tricky!
I have been wanting to sell my ipod classic 7th gen just because I was frustrated with the fact it was very difficult to replace its hard drive with an sd card. My music collection is quite huge, and I have been hoping for some nice ways to change my ipod and upgrade it somehow.

I have checked and checked and maybe I have found a solution.

Mind you I haven't tried it yet but I have read articles online and it sems there might be hope. They came out with a thing called iFlash at OWC
which is compatible with a whole number of devices. Here's the link http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TARIPODFLSH/
On the webpage they also show a detailed list of sd cards that you can use with it, at this stage the only thing to do is to try it!

I haven't had an opportunity to do so as I am a total newbie and I  struggle only to open the ipod (7th gen is quite tricky to open and easy to crack so I have heard) also I do live abroad and it's hard to get all the material ie iflash, tools to open the ipod, and sd card.
Have ANY of you guys tried that product?
Please let me know, I hope that I'm opening up a new world for all of you and maybe this will finally change things for all modders out there who wanted to upgrade their ipods and have been struggling with them for months!

Cheers

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #5,526 of 10,664
  Hello everyone, I have been reading posts on this thread for ages now and things have gotten sooo tricky!
I have been wanting to sell my ipod classic 7th gen just because I was frustrated with the fact it was very difficult to replace its hard drive with an sd card. My music collection is quite huge, and I have been hoping for some nice ways to change my ipod and upgrade it somehow.

I have checked and checked and maybe I have found a solution.

Mind you I haven't tried it yet but I have read articles online and it sems there might be hope. They came out with a thing called iFlash at OWC
which is compatible with a whole number of devices. Here's the link http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TARIPODFLSH/
On the webpage they also show a detailed list of sd cards that you can use with it, at this stage the only thing to do is to try it!

I haven't had an opportunity to do so as I am a total newbie and I  struggle only to open the ipod (7th gen is quite tricky to open and easy to crack so I have heard) also I do live abroad and it's hard to get all the material ie iflash, tools to open the ipod, and sd card.
Have ANY of you guys tried that product?
Please let me know, I hope that I'm opening up a new world for all of you and maybe this will finally change things for all modders out there who wanted to upgrade their ipods and have been struggling with them for months!

Cheers

That is the exact same device that Tarkan sells directly. OWC is charging a higher price for it by like $15.  www.tarkan.info

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #5,527 of 10,664
Hey Noodles, I had no idea thank you for sharing the information.
I checked the tarkan website and found it a bit less clear but only because I do lack the knowledge and I found it useful to see that
OWC organized also the details about the SD cards that work with the different models etc.

I will ask you here since you seem to be still online - is it difficult to open up a 7th gen ipod classic? what exaclty are the tools that I need? I read some people cracked their screens or messed up their clicking wheels while trying to open their ipods. So i would really appreciate if you could give me soem advice.

Cheers

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,528 of 10,664
I checked the tarkan website and found it a bit less clear but only because I do lack the knowledge and I found it useful to see that
OWC organized also the details about the SD cards that work with the different models etc.

I will ask you here since you seem to be still online - is it difficult to open up a 7th gen ipod classic? what exaclty are the tools that I need? I read some people cracked their screens or messed up their clicking wheels while trying to open their ipods. So i would really appreciate if you could give me soem advice.

Cheers

It can be difficult to open up if you are not used to it.  The first one I opened, I broke the battery connector to the motherboard.  Where are you located?

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,529 of 10,664
That is the exact same device that Tarkan sells directly. OWC is charging a higher price for it by like $15.  www.tarkan.info

yeah, i like OWC and have used their products for a number of Macs over the years. but this is just a case of them saddling another company's existing product with a pantload of profit margin. you're much better off buying directly from Tarkan.info and supporting the developer directly.

Tarkan iFlash in my 5G Video 30GB (now 256GB) is working perfectly. will be buying another in a few months to expand the capacity of my 7G Classic 160GB. highly recommend. :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #5,530 of 10,664

Cheers

here's a helpful vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aQn-HkvtvM

Tarkan has a metal spudger to help open the Classic right on the front page of his storefront; just buy everything you need in one-stop.

OWC is just copy/pasting the results of Tarkan's SD card compatibility testing. he keeps it updated himself (better than OWC, i'm sure) here: http://www.tarkan.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/iPod-Compatability-Chart.pdf

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #5,531 of 10,664
please note re: the video i posted above that i'm not endorsing your using exacto knives to open your case. you would be better off using the Tarkan metal spudger and a set of metal feeler gauges, or even a set of metal points from the collar of a dress shirt, so you're not mucking with razor-sharp instruments.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #5,532 of 10,664

Cheers

Dare I say that the easiest way to open the 7th gen is to first buy a replacement back panel!  Then you can just go for it and its not a disastrous problem if you bend the existing back panel in the process!  Opening it can be tough, I found that a certain flat and blunt kitchen knife (maybe like a butter knife?) became my tool of choice, in conjunction with those plastic thingies.  Takes patience.

(Personally I've found it _very_ difficult to get a 7th gen open without at least some slight misalignment when putting it back together again, and its fairly easy to end up with a seriously out-of-shape back - but I've yet to crack a screen or damage a clickwheel, just be very very careful with the battery cable once the back is off).

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5,533 of 10,664
Wow, I can't believe OWC just totally jocked off Tarken like that. I use OWC for some things, like batteries, but I suggest everyone purchase IFlash products directly from Tarken himself. Even if Tarkan was more expensive, I would purchase directly from him in an effort to continue research and development. Sad that they just do infringe like that. To bad Tarken didn't get a copyright or patent.

Long live Tarken.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,534 of 10,664
Wow, I can't believe OWC just totally jocked off Tarken like that. I use OWC for some things, like batteries, but I suggest everyone purchase IFlash products directly from Tarken himself. Even if Tarkan was more expensive, I would purchase directly from him in an effort to continue research and development. Sad that they just do infringe like that. To bad Tarken didn't get a copyright or patent.

Long live Tarken.

Tarkan doesnt care too much, they bought from him adapters, they are just some kind of resellers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back