Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #4,756 of 10,664

I think I've solved it!

Sheesh.  It seems the battery connector on the board was excessively tight (I very nearly broke it trying to lever the clip bit up a bit), preventing the cable from fully inserting.  It was inserted enough for the ipod to work, but I guess it must have been a poor connection, hence causing corruption part way through.

Partly its because having broken three battery cable ends and one motherboard connector this way in the past, I was very gentle/cautious about forcing the cable end into the connector.  Turns out it needed to go a good distance further in.  Switching the battery back and forth between two ipods didn't help matters.

I'm fairly sure that's why synch suddenly became perfectly stable after I'd done that, allowing the whole lot at once, on about the 30th attempt.

Though even then had to do the whole process twice as the first time it got to the very end of synching with no problems, then completely corrupted itself upon hitting eject (bizarrely, iTunes then got confused about how many iPods were connected, thinking there were two of them at once, complete with two icons)

To be honest, not entirely sure it was worth all the time and trouble (especially as it might yet corrupt itself again), but its the sunk costs thing, isn't it?  Once one has started one gets obsessed with finishing the job.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,757 of 10,664
Hi, first time poster with some issues. I have a 7G that was affected with water damage and killed the hard drive. I managed to make it work aftrer 3 weeks of drying up but the drive needle was damaged by the water and would only work after hitting the ipod on the counter for 30 minutes, but it confirmed that every other component worked properly. So after finding this forum, I decided to go for an SSD.

I tried to order a 240gb M500 mSATA from crucial but it was discontinued from every store in Canada who offered a reasonable price so I had to order the M550 256GB instead (made sure it was 3.3V). Now i just received it with my mSATA to ZIF40 adapter and plugged everything in. But, of course, it doesn't work right away.

The apple logo pops up, but i get the red X. I tried going in diagnostic mode or disk mode and it just won't go. Itunes doesn't recognize the ipod and neither does my computer (as a drive or anything) so I can't restore it. I thought that maybe the adapter was plugged backwards. Switching it caused the red X to appear after only 2 seconds of loading screen, as if plugged the other way, it takes a good 10 seconds, so I assume that the ipod is trying to read the drive and recognizes that something is at least plugged in.

I was wondering, since i didn't find the clear info on this anywhere, if I had to actually format the drive before plugging it in. If so, what format type should I use? It is FAT32 or NTFS for an ipod on windows? Any help is greatly appreciated

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,758 of 10,664
  Hi, first time poster with some issues. I have a 7G that was affected with water damage and killed the hard drive. I managed to make it work aftrer 3 weeks of drying up but the drive needle was damaged by the water and would only work after hitting the ipod on the counter for 30 minutes, but it confirmed that every other component worked properly. So after finding this forum, I decided to go for an SSD.

I tried to order a 240gb M500 mSATA from crucial but it was discontinued from every store in Canada who offered a reasonable price so I had to order the M550 256GB instead (made sure it was 3.3V). Now i just received it with my mSATA to ZIF40 adapter and plugged everything in. But, of course, it doesn't work right away.

The apple logo pops up, but i get the red X. I tried going in diagnostic mode or disk mode and it just won't go. Itunes doesn't recognize the ipod and neither does my computer (as a drive or anything) so I can't restore it. I thought that maybe the adapter was plugged backwards. Switching it caused the red X to appear after only 2 seconds of loading screen, as if plugged the other way, it takes a good 10 seconds, so I assume that the ipod is trying to read the drive and recognizes that something is at least plugged in.

I was wondering, since i didn't find the clear info on this anywhere, if I had to actually format the drive before plugging it in. If so, what format type should I use? It is FAT32 or NTFS for an ipod on windows? Any help is greatly appreciated

Follow the instructions here:

http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=147

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,760 of 10,664
  Follow the instructions here:

Thanks alot! I'm currently stuck on the ''formatting'' part of emCORE for more than 10 minutes. I assume this should take a shorter time, so should I check the connection and switch sides of the ZIF connector?

Edit: That was the problem, switched it and it formatted correctly. It now shows 238 of free space in the settings. However, I am unable to see the device from my computer. When I plug it in, I hear the connection sound (and deconnecting/reconnecting spamming sounds at some point) but it never shows. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,761 of 10,664
All,

After what seems like forever, I almost got a divorce, I have success with my 6G conversion to 500G, with Rockbox, using Tarkan's adapter, the Samsung 840 EVO and a 2000ma. battery.

Thanks for everyone's help from this old geek, the list is endless.

Tools that worked for me:

1. Alex Chung's tool that he included with the 2000ma battery for removing the battery cable. I ruined two motherboards before I got it.
2. AOMEI to format your mSata card, when Windows can't see your Ipod. Priceless.
3. Tarkan's adapter and instructions, read his instruction sheet and check his web site.
4. This mSata to USB. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRZPNHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Make sure your battery is fully charged before starting.
6. Cmarti for telling me how to get music into Rockbox. Just "drag and drop".

See also by earlier post on formatting the msata card. SHUT THE PC DOWN then remove the card.

No more Red X nightmares for me.

Good luck and have patience.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,762 of 10,664
  All,

After what seems like forever, I almost got a divorce, I have success with my 6G conversion to 500G, with Rockbox, using Tarkan's adapter, the Samsung 840 EVO and a 2000ma. battery.

Thanks for everyone's help from this old geek, the list is endless.

Tools that worked for me:

1. Alex Chung's tool that he included with the 2000ma battery for removing the battery cable. I ruined two motherboards before I got it.
2. AOMEI to format your mSata card, when Windows can't see your Ipod. Priceless.
3. Tarkan's adapter and instructions, read his instruction sheet and check his web site.
4. This mSata to USB. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRZPNHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Make sure your battery is fully charged before starting.
6. Cmarti for telling me how to get music into Rockbox. Just "drag and drop".

See also by earlier post on formatting the msata card. SHUT THE PC DOWN then remove the card.

No more Red X nightmares for me.

Good luck and have patience.

Nothing like the feeling of seeing it boot into life before your eyes.  That said I am surprised you had that much trouble with the battery cable.  After watching 'many' videos on how to do it (and the battery removal, ho ho!)I just used the flat head screw driver which worked a treat.  Maybe there is something a bit different about the 6th gen compared to the others.

Anyway enjoy the new ipod, hope it remains stable for you :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,763 of 10,664
Thanks for your help as well, my friend.
If you ever see the pins on that connector, who will know why it breaks off.

I have my wife's Ipod to upgrade, but I'm going to monitor for at least two months before moving forward.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,764 of 10,664
  Thanks alot! I'm currently stuck on the ''formatting'' part of emCORE for more than 10 minutes. I assume this should take a shorter time, so should I check the connection and switch sides of the ZIF connector?

Edit: That was the problem, switched it and it formatted correctly. It now shows 238 of free space in the settings. However, I am unable to see the device from my computer. When I plug it in, I hear the connection sound (and deconnecting/reconnecting spamming sounds at some point) but it never shows. 

Hey, I wasn't online.

Did you get it to work?  You may need to go into Rockbox and change the USB settings from "presentation" to browser.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,765 of 10,664
Hey guys, 

Is the 7.5G ipod rockbox stable?

As of right now, who has a stable 512 7G ipod (160GB Thin) ?
I am assuming Tarkan's adapter and an SSD ? (Will probably get samsung)

Any advice? Also what are your best ipod/amp wallet solutions at the moment ?
Working on trying to get this done in a couple weeks. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #4,768 of 10,664
  I own one with Tarkan's adapter and 512GB Samsung card.

Here:

Turn OFF the USB HID

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch8.html#x11-1540008.5.9

8.5.9  USB HID

This option turns the USB HID feature On and Off. When this feature is enabled, the player enumerates as a Human Interface Device (HID), composed of several HID sub devices. Since the player also enumerates as a Mass Storage Device, it becomes a USB Composite Device, which contains both these devices.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,769 of 10,664
  Here:

Turn OFF the USB HID

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch8.html#x11-1540008.5.9

8.5.9  USB HID

This option turns the USB HID feature On and Off. When this feature is enabled, the player enumerates as a Human Interface Device (HID), composed of several HID sub devices. Since the player also enumerates as a Mass Storage Device, it becomes a USB Composite Device, which contains both these devices.

I don't see that particular option, as I don't have the full version of Rockbox installed, only the fallback image from emCORE. I can't install the full version since my computer won't detect it.

Edit : If i put the ipod in disk mode from emCORE, i see the device as ''emCORE Disk Mode'' with an exclamation mark in device manager, and if Rockbox is running, I see the Apple Mobile Device pop up but nothing shows. Sometimes, the ''Device Setup'' window will appear and the green bar will fully load, but it still won'T be recognized by windows. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,770 of 10,664
  Hey guys, 

Is the 7.5G ipod rockbox stable?

As of right now, who has a stable 512 7G ipod (160GB Thin) ?
I am assuming Tarkan's adapter and an SSD ? (Will probably get samsung)

Any advice? Also what are your best ipod/amp wallet solutions at the moment ?
Working on trying to get this done in a couple weeks. 

I own one with Tarkan's adapter and 512GB Samsung card.

I thought you used Apple's software. Does your 7.5 use rockbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back