Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 11, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,741 of 10,664
FWIW the price of the lexar 256 card has suddenly come down to below £200 in the uk.  Hopefully this has a knock on effect on the price of the 512 cards.  Did anyone get the lexar cards working properly in the ipod mods?

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4,742 of 10,664
FWIW the price of the lexar 256 card has suddenly come down to below £200 in the uk.  Hopefully this has a knock on effect on the price of the 512 cards.  Did anyone get the lexar cards working properly in the ipod mods?
I built a 5th gen iPod using the Lexar card. It works very good thanks to Tarkan's latest SD to CF adapter.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #4,745 of 10,664
  I'm using that patch and still get the same result - it gets stuck on 'formatting'.

Are you sure you have connected the drive in the right way? 
I remember that when I connected the adapter + drive in the right way my iPod didn't want to go in DFU mode. After that I connected the drive the wrong way and it would go in DFU mode but it would get stuck on formatting. So finally I connected the it the wrong way, put the .ubi file on the iPod but before ejecting it I reconnected the drive in the right way and it would work... Maybe you're having the same problem?

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,746 of 10,664

Are you sure you have connected the drive in the right way? 
I remember that when I connected the adapter + drive in the right way my iPod didn't want to go in DFU mode. After that I connected the drive the wrong way and it would go in DFU mode but it would get stuck on formatting. So finally I connected the it the wrong way, put the .ubi file on the iPod but before ejecting it I reconnected the drive in the right way and it would work... Maybe you're having the same problem?

Actually after trying it several times, it eventually went ahead and formatted - but then ran into different problems (rockbox utility complained about the partitioning, then when I copied the rockbox files manually rather than using rockbox utility I then got corruption when trying to copy themes over).

Have to admit was only trying rockbox because with itunes I was getting constant corruption problems when synching (even with 2000mah battery). 

Now regretting having mislaid most of the msata packaging because I'm inclined to give up and would rather return it to amazon.  Simply cannot get it to work without constantly corrupting itself (and its definitely _not_ to do with battery power, as the battery remains fully charged, its just something going on with the ipod interface or my PC's USB, meaning the ssd corrupts itself if I synch more than a few Gb at a time).  Very frustrating, given that others seem to have had more success.

The ssd seems to work when in an external sata-msata enclosure, but in the ipod its hopeless.  Just can't figure out what the problem is.

Edit - my current suspicion is that its a heat problem.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,747 of 10,664
ThinWalls,

I got corruption issues so many times, I was dreaming of Red X at night.

I was finally able to get beyond that with my external mSata to USB box using AOMEI program that was recommended by Tarkan.

Please remember to wait at least 30 minutes after formatting the drive and turn off the computer.

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE USB.

Good luck

Now I'm stuck on getting my files into Rockbox.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4,748 of 10,664
ThinWalls

If you get a dual USB/FireWire cable and plug the firewire into the wall, I am willing to bet you no longer have corruption issues while syncing in iTunes. I've done it by syncing over 100GB in a single operation. I'd even put money on it.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4,749 of 10,664

Actually after trying it several times, it eventually went ahead and formatted - but then ran into different problems (rockbox utility complained about the partitioning, then when I copied the rockbox files manually rather than using rockbox utility I then got corruption when trying to copy themes over).

Have to admit was only trying rockbox because with itunes I was getting constant corruption problems when synching (even with 2000mah battery). 

Now regretting having mislaid most of the msata packaging because I'm inclined to give up and would rather return it to amazon.  Simply cannot get it to work without constantly corrupting itself (and its definitely _not_ to do with battery power, as the battery remains fully charged, its just something going on with the ipod interface or my PC's USB, meaning the ssd corrupts itself if I synch more than a few Gb at a time).  Very frustrating, given that others seem to have had more success.

The ssd seems to work when in an external sata-msata enclosure, but in the ipod its hopeless.  Just can't figure out what the problem is.

Edit - my current suspicion is that its a heat problem.

If it's a heat problem you could try to transfer to the iPod with the ipod opened (so disconnecting the jack ribbon and simply connecting the battery ribbon)

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,751 of 10,664
Question.

Why would my Rockboxed 6G with a Samsung EVO mSata 500G show up as a 465G, FAT32 with AOMEI and only as 192M in Windows???

My music go thru the process of loading, (about three hours) using Media Monkey but nothing shows up in Rockbox and I tried twice, so something is wrong.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,752 of 10,664
@ThinWalls

If you get a dual USB/FireWire cable and plug the firewire into the wall, I am willing to bet you no longer have corruption issues while syncing in iTunes. I've done it by syncing over 100GB in a single operation. I'd even put money on it.

Heh, I won't hold you to that bet, because I _am_ using the dual cable and firewire charger (and fully charged 2000mah battery) but the corruption issues are unchanged.  I can't see that its a battery issue as the corruption occurs even when using that charger and even when the battery is still virtually full.  Kind of frustrating to hear you get 100gb at a time - I get slightly unpredictable results, I _once_ managed to do about 70gb before it went bad, but 9 times out of ten even doing small batches of 1000 tracks at a time, it will go bad after a few thousand tracks (out of 35000, so doing 1000 at a time is a pain, especially when it goes bad with the 4th batch). 

(I think I've tried doing it 100gb at a go, and, more often, 10gb at a time, and neither works)

I really can't count the number of times I've had to reformat the ssd, couple of dozen at least, and still not succeeded in loading it up.  Even tried switching from Tarkan's adaptor to the generic one, and that was even worse - couldn't get it to see there was a disk there at all, just instant red-cross and no way of connecting to PC.

As for heat - generally load it with case open, as I know I will just have to take the SSD out to put it into enclosure to reformat it again.  Though I did think maybe it would be better with the case shut so the battery and case would act like a heatsink.  Even blowing on it a lot doesn't help!

Maybe something is just faulty - the SSD, both adaptors or my PC?  (or both ipods).  Though I could copy to the SSD as an external disk in the msata enclosure perfectly well.

Tried Rockbox in desperation but that didn't work either.

Sigh. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,753 of 10,664

Heh, I won't hold you to that bet, because I _am_ using the dual cable and firewire charger (and fully charged 2000mah battery) but the corruption issues are unchanged.  I can't see that its a battery issue as the corruption occurs even when using that charger and even when the battery is still virtually full.  Kind of frustrating to hear you get 100gb at a time - I get slightly unpredictable results, I _once_ managed to do about 70gb before it went bad, but 9 times out of ten even doing small batches of 1000 tracks at a time, it will go bad after a few thousand tracks (out of 35000, so doing 1000 at a time is a pain, especially when it goes bad with the 4th batch). 

I really can't count the number of times I've had to reformat the ssd, couple of dozen at least, and still not succeeded in loading it up.  Even tried switching from Tarkan's adaptor to the generic one, and that was even worse - couldn't get it to see there was a disk there at all, just instant red-cross and no way of connecting to PC.

As for heat - generally load it with case open, as I know I will just have to take the SSD out to put it into enclosure to reformat it again.  Though I did think maybe it would be better with the case shut so the battery and case would act like a heatsink.  Even blowing on it a lot doesn't help!

Maybe something is just faulty - the SSD, both adaptors or my PC?  Though I could copy to the SSD as an external disk in the msata enclosure perfectly well.

Tried Rockbox in desperation but that didn't work either.

Sigh. 

Have you tried with another computer? Maybe your USB drivers are doing strange things which makes the drive go corrupt? 

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #4,754 of 10,664

Have you tried with another computer? Maybe your USB drivers are doing strange things which makes the drive go corrupt? 

Yeah, you are right, that is the next logical thing to try.  Bit awkward as the only other PC I have runs linux, and I'd have to first transport my itunes lib to another machine.  But I might work out a way to try that.

As it happens, now I think of it, this same PC had terrible trouble synching to sony mp3 players in the past - and they were all flash-based.  But it never had any problem with hard-drive based ipods so I didn't worry about it.

I just don't know what would be the issue there, why would USB drivers mess-up synching to flash based players but not hard-drive ones?  Can't find any relevant info about usb driver issues.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #4,755 of 10,664

Yeah, you are right, that is the next logical thing to try.  Bit awkward as the only other PC I have runs linux, and I'd have to first transport my itunes lib to another machine.  But I might work out a way to try that.

As it happens, now I think of it, this same PC had terrible trouble synching to sony mp3 players in the past - and they were all flash-based.  But it never had any problem with hard-drive based ipods so I didn't worry about it.

I just don't know what would be the issue there, why would USB drivers mess-up synching to flash based players but not hard-drive ones?  Can't find any relevant info about usb driver issues.

A bit oversimplified: writing to a hard disk is not that complicated: you just write the one's and zero's where it's needed.
Flash is another story: you can only write in blocks and before being able to write to a block you first have to erase it. 
Thus it is harder to write to flash storage. That being said, normally the controller on the drive should manage the actual writing and reading. You could ask somebody else to simply put their music on it to see if it works well enough before you go transporting your library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back