Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3,661 of 10,664
Pull and plug, that's nice. One good thing about the Tarkan is it secures the drive nicely. For the generic adapter, I secured it with a locking bar (see the white piece in the pic below). I do like the space around the generic adapter for ventilation, or for someone who uses internal caps for diymod.

The Miliamp was very resilient as it drained low when I tested it aggressively. The Terapod is excellent as long as you don't rely on the USB for upload. Hopefully any power loss or power failure will not have to send the drive back to the motherboard.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #3,662 of 10,664
Pull and plug, that's nice. One good thing about the Tarkan is it secures the drive nicely. For the generic adapter, I secured it with a locking bar (see the white piece in the pic below). I do like the space around the generic adapter for ventilation, or for someone who uses internal caps for diymod.

The Miliamp was very resilient as it drained low when I tested it aggressively. The Terapod is excellent as long as you don't rely on the USB for upload. Hopefully any power loss or power failure will not have to send the drive back to the motherboard.

I know you have had a challenging time with the USB loads. I guess I've been fortunate as I haven't had an issue. On the otherhand, if you are working with a 5th gen (and not a 5.5 or greater), the direct load is soooooooo much simpler.

BTW, love that stabilizing bar!

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,663 of 10,664
I know you have had a challenging time with the USB loads. I guess I've been fortunate as I haven't had an issue. On the otherhand, if you are working with a 5th gen (and not a 5.5 or greater), the direct load is soooooooo much simpler.

What is the advantage of the 5th gen over 5.5 and up?
I only ask because I'm using 5th gens myself. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,664 of 10,664

Yeah love that load via motherboard for the 5g. Within 2 days I filled that 1TB full. I gave up on the USB load for this drive as it failed on me too many times using both my home laptop and office desktop. Amazingly tho every time you put it back to the motherboard it smiles.  :)

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,666 of 10,664
The 5th can be loaded external to the ipod. That is, once formatted and loaded with RockBox, you can pull the chip from the ipod, connect it to the computer's MB and load all of your music at once. No heat issues and no GB load limits.

I have a 5.5 and would like to know what happens if I try to load music external to the iPod?

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,667 of 10,664
Do you guys know if Alex Cheung is making the 2000mAh batteries?  My ribbon cable was completely facing the wrong direction and trying to kink it to get it to work only resulted in a damaged cable.  I threw that one in the trash.  Now debating weather or not to order another.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #3,669 of 10,664
Yea, I ordered directly from him via email.  BUt I may have been an idiot and didn't realize it was suppose to be kinked like that and double back.  Guess I need to never work with a toddler running around :p.  But I still think mine was backwards.  Anyhow I have a decent battery in my iPod now, and am just getting a loop. It starts with the Apple logo, goes to the sad faced iPod "www.apple.com.support/ipod" then flashes the batter with the "!"  This is with the 1TB msata in it.  Swap the CF adaptor in to it and it's perfectly fine.   Regardles of it I format my msata drive with Fat32 or NTFS. 

Am I missing something?

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #3,670 of 10,664
Format it with FAT32. I assume you did it via motherboard. It suppose to be recognized by the ipod for restore. The sad face means the drive was not correctly formatted, or in my case if I formatted it thru an adapter via USB. The only way to make it work is to format it thru the motherboard. 

EDIT: also before you format thru MB, power off the PC. After you insert the msata, power on the PC. Then format it (I used Aomei for the format). After you complete the format, power off the PC before you take off the msata. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,671 of 10,664
It's like it's not even recognizing the drive.  IM giving up for the night.  I may have just bought my laptop another SDD.  My notebook will see it and I can reformat it, but when I put it back in the iPod, it's like nothing.  Sometimes it tells me the battery is very low.  It's like it's not compatible.  I don't know.  Just frustrating.  The iPod will see my Tarken CF adaptor no problem though.  Wonder if I just have a bad board. :/  Who knows.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #3,672 of 10,664
If your board works fine with the CF then nothing is wrong with your board. The format is tricky and I suspect your format may still not be the same as what Dr. and I did using the MB. I could format the drive via USB and the computer sees the drive, but the ipod just don't recognize the drive formatted that way.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,673 of 10,664

Which mSATA card will you use? I ordered the BP4e this morning, so that's my route, and I've got everything else I need.

I'm using the 500 GB EVO from Samsung. Unlike most people here I store my music lossy, so 1 TB is a bit of an overkill. Now I'm just waiting for two parts from China: the battery, and a new clickwheel (the red U2 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221276909070?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649).

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,674 of 10,664
Well I woke up early this morning to give it another go. I don't know what it was that I did that was so different, but I finally got iTunes to recognize the iPod with the 1TB inside. Was able to restore and everything. Before I left for work I set up iTunes to sync all my music, videos, podcasts, and audiobooks. Hopefully when I get back I don't have an error saying it quit.

I'll probably Rockbox it later this evening if it's still working fine. Might test with moving my music to it with the msata drive in the notebook. I also emailed Cheung to order another 2000mAh battery. Hopefully I have more patience installing the next one. :p

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,675 of 10,664
  I'm using the 500 GB EVO from Samsung. Unlike most people here I store my music lossy, so 1 TB is a bit of an overkill. Now I'm just waiting for two parts from China: the battery, and a new clickwheel (the red U2 one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221276909070?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649).

I too do not need 1TB of storage, I opted for the 512GB (480 after formatting and over-provisioning?). I use ALAC, but don't have enough to even fill the 512 at this point, it gives me breathing room. I still have about 200 CDs I haven't ripped, that will get me closer but still not full.

I am just waiting on shipment of that BP4e mSATA card itself, I've got everything else including the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back