Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,648 of 10,664
With thin back plate or thick back plate? Also with CF card or with the SDXC? 

From my understanding and what I've been told the 2000mAh won't fit (barely) with the CF adaptor or a CF card. It will fit with the msata only because the msata setup is a hair thinner. That's with the thick back plate as well. Msata adaptor > msata drive > 2000mah > thick backplate is the only setup that will fit without having to be forced together which results in pressure on the components.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,649 of 10,664
yeah, tarkan-msata-adapter arrived today. I will build a crucial 480gb-iPod for the beginning. But ordered already another msata-adapter :)

I do have 2 questions: (edit: 3 questions)...

1. my girlfriend wants a 250 ssd iPod. which ssd (not cf/sd-card) is the most "bulled prove" one in this size-range? the bp4? if yes, plese tell me the excact model nr. (strangly couldn't find it here in europe (amazon.de)

2. I have 5.5g, 6g and 7g. I wanna buy new faceplates for all of them. do you know some good ebay-sellers who offer 5.5 plastic and especially (!!!) 6/7g aluminium-faceplates which look most OEM/original. I guess for 5.5 won't be so difficult. But I cant find any "OEM/original" looking aluminium face plates for 6/7g. So please tell me with which ebay seller you had good experience. thanks sooooooo much

edit:
3. did buy for my friends 4 new 160gb toshiba mk1634gal harddisks from the ebay-seller "sky-1688" article "221217725810". DON'T buy them. he declares them as *new*. but 3 of 4 were broken!! now he admits that they are refurbished. grrrr. so my question. do you know any serious ebay-seller who sells brand new toshiba 160gb mk1634gal hard disks? (i know is a little bit off topic as its not ssd, sorry)

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,650 of 10,664
Here is a 5G/5.5G casing that will work. Not sure about shipping however.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOUA1OS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CBJQ3C0UQBKL&coliid=I3R3WHPDOT600E

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,651 of 10,664
From my understanding and what I've been told the 2000mAh won't fit (barely) with the CF adaptor or a CF card. It will fit with the msata only because the msata setup is a hair thinner. That's with the thick back plate as well. Msata adaptor > msata drive > 2000mah > thick backplate is the only setup that will fit without having to be forced together which results in pressure on the components.

Hmm ... that sucks the 2000mAh only fits the msata mod. Imagine how many hrs of play time with that battery for a CF card? I am wondering if the CF cards from different manufacturers have the same thickness. Maybe we can trim the CF card housing a little bit without impairing the card. 

I am a little concerned about placing the battery right against the msata due to the heat.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3,652 of 10,664
Yea, I've thought about it too. maybe Tarken may have some ideas? but 2000mAh with a CF card would be amazing for battery life! I was kinda disappointed too. I'm hoping heat won't be too much of a problem. Probably the only real time the msata will really heat up would be during transfer when there is a lot of writing going on.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,653 of 10,664

Hmm ... that sucks the 2000mAh only fits the msata mod. Imagine how many hrs of play time with that battery for a CF card? I am wondering if the CF cards from different manufacturers have the same thickness. Maybe we can trim the CF card housing a little bit without impairing the card. 

I am a little concerned about placing the battery right against the msata due to the heat.

The plastic strip/housing on the Tarkan adapter's CF pin out, right where the CF card mounts, is the part that would need slimming down. It's thickest point is right there, not the actual CF card itself but what the CF card mounts to.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,654 of 10,664
  yeah, tarkan-msata-adapter arrived today. I will build a crucial 480gb-iPod for the beginning. But ordered already another msata-adapter :)

I do have 2 questions: (edit: 3 questions)...

1. my girlfriend wants a 250 ssd iPod. which ssd (not cf/sd-card) is the most "bulled prove" one in this size-range? the bp4? if yes, plese tell me the excact model nr. (strangly couldn't find it here in europe (amazon.de)

2. I have 5.5g, 6g and 7g. I wanna buy new faceplates for all of them. do you know some good ebay-sellers who offer 5.5 plastic and especially (!!!) 6/7g aluminium-faceplates which look most OEM/original. I guess for 5.5 won't be so difficult. But I cant find any "OEM/original" looking aluminium face plates for 6/7g. So please tell me with which ebay seller you had good experience. thanks sooooooo much

edit:
3. did buy for my friends 4 new 160gb toshiba mk1634gal harddisks from the ebay-seller "sky-1688" article "221217725810". DON'T buy them. he declares them as *new*. but 3 of 4 were broken!! now he admits that they are refurbished. grrrr. so my question. do you know any serious ebay-seller who sells brand new toshiba 160gb mk1634gal hard disks? (i know is a little bit off topic as its not ssd, sorry)

That's because the bp4's name on amazon uk is :- "240GB MyDigitalSSD BP4 Bullet Proof 4".  It's a third party seller memoryc but they were fine when I used them to order a kingspec ssd from. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,655 of 10,664

That's because the bp4's name on amazon uk is :- "240GB MyDigitalSSD BP4 Bullet Proof 4".  It's a third party seller memoryc but they were fine when I used them to order a kingspec ssd from. 

thanks davidcotton. funny that the name is even bullet proof :) so i hope its as well "bulled proofed" for "dummy users" like my girlfriend who wants just to fill the music with the help of the usb-cable on the ipod and then get happy :)

found 3 different ones with this name with very different prices. to be absolutly sure, it is the following article, isnt it:
http://www.amazon.de/240GB-MyDigitalSSD-Bullet-Proof-mSATA/dp/B00B3X73EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412629373&sr=8-1&keywords=MyDigitalSSD+BP4

edit:
thats quite expenisve for "just" 240gb (close to the crucial 480gb). hmmm, which cheap 256gb sd-card out there is "bullet-proofed"? sorry, till now read this thread just with focus on ssd. so i would have to read again the last 30-40 pages to get a picture which cheap 256 sdcard is confirmed from the guys in here to work like bullet proofed with the tarkan adapter.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,656 of 10,664

TeraPod now has Tarkan adapter and 2000mAh battery!

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3,657 of 10,664
TeraPod now had Tarkan adapter and 2000mAh battery!

Nice! Is that a classic cover? Also are you able to just move the msata from the generic adapter to the Tarkan without restoring the ipod? 

I know the 2000mAh can last long hrs, would like to know the comparison between the Miliamp and this monster in terms of handling power surge.

I think for the msata (especially the 1TB) it's important for the battery to handle the power surge without potentially losing the data due to a power failure.

EDIT: I am currently using a non OEM 7g replacement battery for the Terapod. The battery actually performs surprisingly good. What I don't know is when the battery drains low how it will respond to power surge demand from the msata drive. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,658 of 10,664
Where is everyone getting the custom engraved ipod backs?

Edit: Sorry Dr. I thought that said 960GB 
But I have seen the 'SSD' and increased GB marked cases. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3,659 of 10,664
Is the 2000mAh battery always so difficult to get in? I feel like my ribbon cable was put on backwards...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,660 of 10,664
Nice! Is that a classic cover? Also are you able to just move the msata from the generic adapter to the Tarkan without restoring the ipod? 

I know the 2000mAh can last long hrs, would like to know the comparison between the Miliamp and this monster in terms of handling power surge.

I think for the msata (especially the 1TB) it's important for the battery to handle the power surge without potentially losing the data due to a power failure.

EDIT: I am currently using a non OEM 7g replacement battery for the Terapod. The battery actually performs surprisingly good. What I don't know is when the battery drains low how it will respond to power surge demand from the msata drive. 

I was able to move the chip without reformating, restoring or reloading. Pull and plug. I ordered two more adapters immediately afterward.
I will begin field testing tomorrow. I got about 6-7 continuous hours out of the milliamp before a full charge reported only 20%.
Surge hasn't been an issue for me with the TeraPod, but has been a big issue with the Cruicial 480g. I'll watch closely.
I have been very pleased with the performance of the TeraPod overall, even with batteries of only 650mAh. My gold TeraPod3 has a 650mAh battery and runs like a champ. I am very careful not to drain below 20%, however.

And the case is a standard 5th gen video, not a classic (aluminum) case. I was not sure it would work without breaking the LCD, and since I assumed the plastic might have more flexibility, I used it. My next build will be a Gen7 case on a Gen5.5 board Terapod with a 2000mAh battery.

I have, however, reached the goal of having a 2000mAh TeraPod. It may be time to retire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back