Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #3,616 of 10,664
Then I dead in the water because I am a laptop user. :frowning2:

Wait!

Can it be done via the laptop eSATA port?

Don't count yourself out yet. Does your laptop have space for several HDDs? If so you can probably use this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8772CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered one and it's sitting at my house right now. But I also have a laptop that has space for 4 HDDs.

If not and you have an optical drive onyour notebook that you don't use, you can convert it to a HDD bay with one of these, then use the adaptor above to insert the msata drive in your notebook.

http://www.amazon.com/WoneNice-caddy-9-5mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B004Y8SGXW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412281119&sr=1-2&keywords=cd+hdd+caddy

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412281119&sr=1-1&keywords=cd+hdd+caddy

This is my laptop. Yes it has a desktop CPU :p Not much of a "lap" top.

Clevo X7200 | Desktop i7 980X 4.1GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M SLI | 2x 256 GB SSD | 2x 1TB Internal HDD Drive | 24GB 1333MHz | 1920x1080 B+RG LED | Killer 1103 | USB 3.0 | Win 7 Ult | Linux Mint | NuForce uDAC-2 Audio | Blu-ray Burner (Converted to External) | Benchmarks: Vantage: 30238 | 3DMark06: 26917 | 3DMark11: 7346

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,617 of 10,664
Double post :xf_eek:

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,619 of 10,664
@bana, That's the adaptor I have. That should work. I got mine yesterday in the mail. I just don't have the 1TB msata or the tarken adaptor yet. But if you have multiple bays, you should be able to use that. If you decide to use rockbox and use that adaptor it should result in faster data transfers.

The only thing to keep in mind is that adaptor is a designed at 9.5 mm where a lot of HDDs are designed with 7mm height. Just ensure that your laptop has room for 9.5mm. An alternative would also be to remove some of the plastic so it fits in a bay with on 7mm of clearance. But my guess is that it will more than likely fit no problem.

If you don't have an extra HDD bay, then you can remove the optical drive, put in one of the conversion adaptors, and then place that msata adaptor in the optical bay adaptor.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3,622 of 10,664
Looks awesome Dminor, now that's an end game DAP :D Now you just need the 2000mAh battery! :p BTW, what Rockbox theme do you use? I tend to like terminal, but find it's not so great for out doors. I like it's unique look.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,623 of 10,664
@bana, That's the adaptor I have. That should work. I got mine yesterday in the mail. I just don't have the 1TB msata or the tarken adaptor yet. But if you have multiple bays, you should be able to use that. If you decide to use rockbox and use that adaptor it should result in faster data transfers.

The only thing to keep in mind is that adaptor is a designed at 9.5 mm where a lot of HDDs are designed with 7mm height. Just ensure that your laptop has room for 9.5mm. An alternative would also be to remove some of the plastic so it fits in a bay with on 7mm of clearance. But my guess is that it will more than likely fit no problem.

If you don't have an extra HDD bay, then you can remove the optical drive, put in one of the conversion adaptors, and then place that msata adaptor in the optical bay adaptor.

Can you not connect via the USB on the board and keep it external??

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,624 of 10,664
Can you not connect via the USB on the board and keep it external??

From reading the reviews the USB connection doesn't seem to work well if at all. But I'm not sure how well that work. That's one reason I love my laptop. Plenty of HDD bays. But if you try the USB, and it works, definitely let me know. Then I wouldn't have to remove one of my backup storage drives :p

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,625 of 10,664
Looks awesome Dminor, now that's an end game DAP
biggrin.gif
Now you just need the 2000mAh battery!
tongue.gif
BTW, what Rockbox theme do you use? I tend to like terminal, but find it's not so great for out doors. I like it's unique look.

Yes pretty much the end game. Awesome sounding. BTW, I have done extensive comparison between the diymods done like your iMod and those direct out to pins. Both have distinct sound signatures to my ears. I wouldn't call one is necessarily better than the other as I really enjoy listening to both. One thing in common is the sound is clean and transparent with very good dynamics and sound stage. iMod has more weight in bass while the direct out has a more refined sounding which is more airy and dynamic. To me the capless diymods and the capless UHA-6S are perfect match.

Yeah I will probably get a 2000mAh battery and a Tarkan adapter too. The Tarkan adapter secures the drive better. As for the theme, I happen to like the default one (simple and efficient). Also default one can handle the multi languages, especially with CUE files. 

Since I only use RB, I disconnect the headphone jacks from the boards for my diymods. But the other day I had to reconnect them to find out which ones are 5g or 5.5g. Too many and I lost track of them. LOL.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,626 of 10,664
I'm curious Dminor, what are the advantages of having the files as cd images and using cue files?  Isn't it more hassle this way?

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,627 of 10,664
  I'm curious Dminor, what are the advantages of having the files as cd images and using cue files?  Isn't it more hassle this way?

1 .To keep number of files small
2. To avoid problems due to long file names (especially for classical music)
3. To avoid shuffle when it is enabled but not intended (especially for classical music)

I listen to lots of classical music, so the CUE files work great for me. I can still go to the cue file and choose the track I want if needed.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,628 of 10,664
THis CD Image and Cue file thing is foreign to me...Hows it work?  Can you explain it?

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,629 of 10,664
  THis CD Image and Cue file thing is foreign to me...Hows it work?  Can you explain it?

You can download the free Exact Audio Copy. I used to use this to rip my CD. Pretty simple to use it, and you should be able to find some youtube tutorials too. 

EDIT: Basically, there are only two files for each album. One is the image file (wav, flac or ape) contains all the tracks, and the other *.CUE file contains track info. When you play the album (the wav/flac/ape file), it will "talk" to the cue file to display the track info. To enable the CUE support, go to RB's setting --> playback.

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,630 of 10,664
Ahh gotcha. Definitely good to know. Thanks man.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back