Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #286 of 10,664
Quote:
Good thread. Decided I couldn't justify ponying up for SSD so I just pulled the trigger on the 240GB HDD from the ebay seller who has them in a kit with some other parts. I bought my ipod used and the backplate has some mumbo jumbo engraved by the previous owner that I can do without. It will be a nice touch to have "240GB" inscribed neatly on the back instead, and it needs a new battery too. I figured I might as well drop an extra $11 for a new front cover and click wheel while I'm at it. So I'll have fresh & clean 240GB rockboxable FLACing goodness for about $220 total. Now I just have to wait patiently for the goodies to arrive.

Saw your post and would like to share with everyone that there is a seller on EBay by the name elec-king who I contacted and ask his if he would sell just the back cover.

He replied back telling me that yes, shipped it cost me $7 and it fits perfectly my 5.5 Gen iPod even though it is for the 7th gen iPod Classic.

(I replace the battery, front cover  and the screen with a new 5.5 Gen one which we all know is brighter than the 5th Gen iPod and also replaced the headphone jack/hold switch)

Here are some pics: http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/cjmarti/iPod%20240GB%20project/

May 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #287 of 10,664
Quote:
Saw your post and would like to share with everyone that there is a seller on EBay by the name elec-king who I contacted and ask his if he would sell just the back cover.

He replied back telling me that yes, shipped it cost me $7 and it fits perfectly my 5.5 Gen iPod even though it is for the 7th gen iPod Classic.

(I replace the battery, front cover  and the screen with a new 5.5 Gen one which we all know is brighter than the 5th Gen iPod and also replaced the headphone jack/hold switch)

Here are some pics: http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/cjmarti/iPod%20240GB%20project/

I bought the 240 kit from him. 10 days from China to my door. Works like a charm.

May 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #289 of 10,664
Quote:
Yeah, super fast shipping. I wonder why with other sellers it take weeks to a month.

Your front cover is white solid or clear and white like the factory one?

Mine is factory. Bought it the day they came out and it's still going strong. Replaced the battery with the kit and Rockboxed it. I may replace it with a Hisound V once I get a little more info but it is doing the job right now.

May 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #290 of 10,664
Cool,  I have never heard of Hisound V. Will research that now. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #291 of 10,664
I've been in touch with someone from Kingspec.  I was asking about the 128GB drive, which he priced at $127 and $24 shipping.  I figured I'd ask about the 256GB.  He quoted me $250!!  I need to confirm more details, but he says the working voltage is 3.3.  It's a ZIF 1.8" drive, so plug and play.  Seems like an amazing price for it.  Too good to be true?

May 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #292 of 10,664
Keep my posted dude. I need this.......I'll get two, one for an iPod Video, and the other for my iPod Classic. Then to get an Arrow 4G and have two awesome different setups for portability.
Quote:
I've been in touch with someone from Kingspec.  I was asking about the 128GB drive, which he priced at $127 and $24 shipping.  I figured I'd ask about the 256GB.  He quoted me $250!!  I need to confirm more details, but he says the working voltage is 3.3.  It's a ZIF 1.8" drive, so plug and play.  Seems like an amazing price for it.  Too good to be true?

May 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #293 of 10,664
That sounds awesome!

Please do keep us posted.

Quote:

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #294 of 10,664
Ok, the guy was wrong about the price.  It's actually $266.  The link is to a spec sheet for the drive.   If someone can take a look and make sure it would work, that would be great.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-X-YseBcxmDocVj0n3UH-_jXiu_Da8V4yIXeRp2HxuY/edit

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #295 of 10,664
Looks to me like it would work. I would love some confirmation from other people about this and then maybe someone get one to try. I might just have to pick one up for my diyMod and take it's 240gb HDD and put it in my iPod Classic.
Quote:
Ok, the guy was wrong about the price.  It's actually $266.  The link is to a spec sheet for the drive.   If someone can take a look and make sure it would work, that would be great.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-X-YseBcxmDocVj0n3UH-_jXiu_Da8V4yIXeRp2HxuY/edit

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #296 of 10,664
Ok, here's some more info.  The guy wrote back with this:

"As the MOQ of us is 10pcs, so if buy 10pcs for one time, I may give you a little discount, I think USD$263.00/pcs is ok, if the quantity is bigger than this we can give as following:
[size=12pt] 50pcs: USD$260.00/pcs[/size]
[size=12pt] 100pcs:USD$255.00/pcs"[/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] He also stated that he would allow a sample to be sent for the $266 price.  I'm asking about having someone else (one of you who wants to test it out) contact him.  I think after that, we'll have to collaborate and try to find 10 people who want drives and have a batch shipment.  I'm sure between the lot of us, we can work something out.  They're $150 less expensive this way compared to the next cheapest I could find.  I'm just not sure there are enough people interested in the 256GB drive to make this happen.  I would love to get one, but I really can't afford it.  Sooo, any takers?[/size]

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #297 of 10,664
If they work, I'm down for 1 of those in the next 1-3 weeks. If it's taking a bit longer to get things in order finding other people, then I would be down for two in about 5 weeks time(maybe).....But definitely 1.
Quote:
Ok, here's some more info.  The guy wrote back with this:

"As the MOQ of us is 10pcs, so if buy 10pcs for one time, I may give you a little discount, I think USD$263.00/pcs is ok, if the quantity is bigger than this we can give as following:
[size=12pt] 50pcs: USD$260.00/pcs[/size]
[size=12pt] 100pcs:USD$255.00/pcs"[/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] He also stated that he would allow a sample to be sent for the $266 price.  I'm asking about having someone else (one of you who wants to test it out) contact him.  I think after that, we'll have to collaborate and try to find 10 people who want drives and have a batch shipment.  I'm sure between the lot of us, we can work something out.  They're $150 less expensive this way compared to the next cheapest I could find.  I'm just not sure there are enough people interested in the 256GB drive to make this happen.  I would love to get one, but I really can't afford it.  Sooo, any takers?[/size]

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #298 of 10,664
I may be able to afford an iPod 5.5 with that 256GB SSD in November 2012. I am still debating whether I should just get a 5.5G with 240GB HDD, which will easily be $163 cheaper and get to my hands 2 months earlier.

To me (YMMV), SSD may not offer that much more value, because: 1) I will not use iPod when I am mobile -- I use a Sansa Clip+ w/ 32GB SDHC; 2) I am not sure SSD will sound audibly better than HDD (theoretically maybe yes, especially when using iPod's internal DAC and amp. But in reality, can anyone confirm such an improvement?). I would be glad to be proven wrong, though my wallet will hate that for sure.......     

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #299 of 10,664
If this group buy happens, the price of a SSD vs HDD is about $60-$100 less for the HDD. The advantages are clear. Their is no moving parts, and I work in a computer repair center at a college, trust me, hard drives go, and any drive of any size will go at random times. Even if you're not very mobile, the SSD has a better likelihood of lasting many years. The other advantage is reports of it speeding up the loading times of songs and it's consistently low amount of power consumption. On a moving platter, the drive needs to spin the drive, then move its arm to the appropriate location, then read the information and then stop the drive.....in a SSD, electrical signals are sent to the drive to retrieve information at a given location....and it gets directly accessed, no extra power wasted.
Quote:
I may be able to offer a iPod 5.5 with that 256GB SSD in November 2012. I am still debating whether I should just get a 5.5G with 240GB HDD, which will easily be $163 cheaper and get to my hands 2 months earlier.
To me, SSD still do not offer that much more value, because: 1) I will not use iPod when I am mobile -- I use a Sansa Clip+ w/ 32GB SDHC; 2) I am not sure SSD will sound better than HDD. I would glad to be proven wrong, though my wallet will hate me for sure.......     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back