1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by freeze, Aug 12, 2011.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last
  1. Echoo
    i want to modify my 5th gen ipod video 30gb using ssd 128gb.. if i use the ssd 128 gb which battery capacity i must use..? 580mah or 850mah..?

tx ^^

2. cmarti
    You need to use the 580mah because of the back cover, the 850mah one only fits if you have in your iPod one of the "fat" back cover that normally comes with the 80gb iPod. 
    Quote:

3. seeteeyou

4. antberg
    Guys just for curiosity, did someone already tested a mod with a double battery build (yes i know it wont fit in the chassis) and had a good ,infinite playtime?
    I read -almost- the whole thread but not sure someone did it.By the way nice thread ,i was thinking in waiting the new Itouch (probably launched September), but, at last i realize i don`t need it cause i just worry about music... 

Edit:now i have read it trough it all,and it seems no one did this experiment.the only thing i found is there ,but not with an ipod classic or video 
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1358820

5. the wizard of oz
    Actually, a double battery mod would fit if one went the ZIF to flash card adapter route... Strictly space management talking.

6. seeteeyou

7. antberg
    Thank You!
    In those last weeks i was really thinking about to get an DIY imod for myself,i am probably finding the Imod my perfect mp3 player.The only problem is my location..

But at most i am not totally concerned about my own ability to make a proper work, and i will take this train to ask to you most experienced fellow how hard is for we non-expert to install a 240 hdd and eventually the craziness to install an huge battery replacement,if it requires a skilled soldering ability..i am going to make a deeper research ,specially some tutorial.

Edit:i found a lot of threads and tutorials,and , to be honest, i will have to take a lot (but a LOT) of practise ,don`t know if will be able to do it by myself , maybe is time to find someone who can do it for me,at a reasonable deal, Red Wine Audio not for sure !![​IMG]

Salute

8. Laird
    Quote:
    Ok - so I did try again with the Renice K3VLAR drive. No joy. Same results. I'd say that at least the larger SSDs are unlikely to work in the Classic 7G. (Someone else can try the others)

Meanwhile, I modded both of my Classic 7G units with Toshiba MK2431GAH units (Traditional 1.8" PATA ZIF drives) with no issues. Had to switch out the back too, of course.

At least now I can carry around my lossless collection on two units with some room to spare. Sounds great with the Arrow 4G and a set of LiveWires 3-ways.

9. garetjax1
    Whew, thank you so much for posting that! I was days away from pulling the trigger on the K3E as well...

10. seeteeyou

cmarti likes this.
  11. rjsaenz
    Has anyone tried this SSD? http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mx-technology-240gb-1.8-inch-pata-mx-nano-series-zif-ssd/
    3.3v almost exact same specs as the toshiba MK1634GAL

12. seeteeyou

13. seeteeyou

14. zzffnn
    ^ There was a PhotoFast CR-7200 adapter that takes 4 microSD cards in RIAD0 and coverts to compact flash card pin output. The you can use a Tarkan adapter (CF to 1.8" PATA ZIF) to use in iPod.
    The problem is though, I could not find that PhotoFast adapter anymore online. PhotoFast Taiwan still lists that in the product page of their company website.

microsd4compactflashconverter.jpg

15. putente
    Quote:

Wow, that's some serious looking thing! If it would take SDXC, imagine 4x128GB in RAID0... [​IMG]

First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last