Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2,401 of 10,664

I think I mentioned in this thread before that I tried the Komputerbay 128 gig in the mini (2nd gen) and it was massively unstable to the point you couldn't use it.  I DID manage to get Rockbox installed but even that didn't change the behaviour.

Yeah, I remember reading it. Interesting how it worked fine in the 1st gen but totally unstable on the 2nd.  I found a way to boot using the card on the 2nd gen mini. You need to press select and hold it until you see the backlight, after that it's all good.

But I switched to the 256gb SD card and will load the iPod only with .cue and FLAC images of the CD's. Less files will be stored, hopefully this will work.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,402 of 10,664
  Really excited I found this forum. I have an 160g iPod Classic, the original thicker version (6th generation). The HD will not update via iTunes. I would like to replace the HD in this unit with a larger SSD drive. I started reading through this thread, but so many pages...wow!

Can anyone tell me if they know a person who mods iPod Classics for a fee? I'm willing to pay, but not even sure if anyone offers such a service?

I am not aware of any SSDs that use the CE ribbon found in the fat-classics, and have only replaced HD with HD in 6th gen-fat ipods. The only really difficult task in replacing your HD is opening your ipod. Get some exacto knives, some thin guitar picks, and check uTube for some fine instructional videos.  Take your time, and be very careful.   

However, if you want a professional to do it, check the internet for ipod repair services, and you will find several.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,405 of 10,664
I am not aware of any SSDs that use the CE ribbon found in the fat-classics, and have only replaced HD with HD in 6th gen-fat ipods. The only really difficult task in replacing your HD is opening your ipod. Get some exacto knives, some thin guitar picks, and check uTube for some fine instructional videos.  Take your time, and be very careful.   

However, if you want a professional to do it, check the internet for ipod repair services, and you will find several.
If you want to have solid state storage you will need to get the 5th generation hard drive ribbon cable, the Tarkan CF to ZIF adapter and either a CF card and or the SD to CF adapter that Tarkan sells.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,407 of 10,664

I have loaded about 5000 songs and the heat issue is nothing compared to using iTunes. I am currently loading a block of 10K songs, which should take about an hour. So far, so good.

...and by the way, I loaded 46K songs on the 446g Crucial mSata V5.5 today using iTunes, in blocks of 5000 each (!) At the end, ipod reported 0 songs, so I reset. 4 minutes later, the ipod menu appears and 0 songs are shown.  I reset again, but this time the ipod did not leave the apple logo screen. Instead, it began heating up and after 10 minutes, I disconnected the battery to avoid a meltdown.

That's when I switched to testing RB on the 446g Crucial.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,408 of 10,664
RB is the way to go. Personally I don't care about the iTunes except for restore. This RB patch seems to be a beauty for the most cost-efficient msata's with big storages available, big kudos to Torne and BeyondWind for their efforts.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,409 of 10,664
I used BeyondWind's build today all day and the iPod never heated once and sounded beautiful. No song skipping, no sudden battery drain. Can't wait to get the 448gb bad boy on Wednesday, I even ordered the U2 front, clickwheel and back plate for the iPod to improve it's looks.:)

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,410 of 10,664
I used BeyondWind's build today all day and the iPod never heated once and sounded beautiful. No song skipping, no sudden battery drain. Can't wait to get the 448gb bad boy on Wednesday, I even ordered the U2 front, clickwheel and back plate for the iPod to improve it's looks.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't have this ivue yet then you need that one too.
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,414 of 10,664
  RB is the way to go. Personally I don't care about the iTunes except for restore. This RB patch seems to be a beauty for the most cost-efficient msata's with big storages available, big kudos to Torne and BeyondWind for their efforts.

I used BeyondWind's build today all day and the iPod never heated once and sounded beautiful. No song skipping, no sudden battery drain. Can't wait to get the 448gb bad boy on Wednesday, I even ordered the U2 front, clickwheel and back plate for the iPod to improve it's looks.
smily_headphones1.gif

446g Crucial mSata V5.5:  Now at approximately 15K songs loaded. No heat issues as for iTunes. Adding a block of 13K now. I will continue to load until I can load no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back