Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2,416 of 10,664
Let me check that lottery ticket again. :D. Seriously, I want to be sure the space can be used effectively. There must be a limit to the number of songs this thing can handle, and i'd like to figure it out. I only wish RB worked in my car.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,417 of 10,664
Let me check that lottery ticket again.
biggrin.gif
. Seriously, I want to be sure the space can be used effectively. There must be a limit to the number of songs this thing can handle, and i'd like to figure it out. I only wish RB worked in my car.

Godspeed, I don't know the reason why but I am pretty sure the solid state memory is limiting us.  I already gave up and I am liking RockBox Again.  

I have loaded the 256gb iPod mini with FLAC disk images files of CD's and this is looking good, no music is disappearing or corrupting. (Success!) Another thing is that live albums sound natural because there's no gaps like when you rip the album in different tracks.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2,418 of 10,664
One thing I like RB is the ability to place folder in folder. I am not a playlist guy and I like to organize albums by folders.

Honestly, I can live with the 480GB drives as the max. It may take much longer to change albums when the drive gets bigger storage.

Man we are spoiled and getting too greedy, considering those audiophiles who have to carry multiple portable micro cards for their daps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,419 of 10,664
  One thing I like RB is the ability to place folder in folder. I am not a playlist guy and I like to organize albums by folders.

Honestly, I can live with the 480GB drives as the max. It may take much longer to change albums when the drive gets bigger storage.

Man we are spoiled and getting too greedy, considering those audiophiles who have to carry multiple portable micro cards for their daps.
biggrin.gif

Me too, 480gb should cure my upgraditis for at least two years. And carrying cards to swap when I want to listen to some album?  

Forget that! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,421 of 10,664
All pieces came in today, and I now have a 480GB iPod & best yet Rockboxed. 
L3000.gif

It took a little longer than usual to complete the restore, and by the time I copied a couple of albums in disk mode (immediately following the restore) it got very warm. Then I ejected it and booted it to RB to play, and now the ipod is cold as it is playing music. So far no single hiccup and it seems very stable. Hopefully it remains this way as the entire GB's are filled.

Big kudo to beyondwind for providing this patch and thanks to Reima for informing me of this patch.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #2,422 of 10,664
Nice going!

Is it possible to create FLAC disk images files of CD's from existing alac tracks that I have on hard drive? If so how? I've worked out how to create the iso images but after that I'm not sure on where to go next.

It'll also be interesting to see how stable your 480 is over time as well.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #2,423 of 10,664
You should be able to do that using CUETools.

By the way, what's the best way to batch resize (reduce) cover image JPG files? I want to batch resize images files from different folders and then overwrite the existing images?

UPDATE on the 480GB mSATA:
I first restored it to a 30GB model without issue, then I tried to transfer it to a 80GB model but it asked me to restore again. So I did another restore to a 80GB model without issue. This time it was faster and not very warm at all. Definitely these big boys should be installed to the 80GB models due to more rams and more buffer sizes. It's noticeably faster. Also with the 80GB model you can also put in a fat battery.

Based on my observations so far, I am pretty sure this RB patch works excellently and seems to have resolved all the issues.

480GB iPod is sick, period.
wink_face.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,424 of 10,664

By the way, what's the best way to batch resize (reduce) cover image JPG files? I want to batch resize images files from different folders and then overwrite the existing images?

I first restored it to a 30GB model without issue, then I tried to transfer it to a 80GB model but it asked me to restore again. So I did another restore to a 80GB model without issue. This time it was faster and not very warm at all. Definitely these big boys should be installed to the 80GB models due to more rams and more buffer sizes. It's noticeably faster. Also with the 80GB model you can also put in a fat battery.

Based on my observations so far, I am pretty sure this RB patch works excellently and seems to have resolved all the issues.

wink_face.gif

Glad it's working great! Looking forward to do the same upgrade tomorrow.

On the Rockbox website I found this program which is recommended to batch resize images (Windows program)

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,425 of 10,664

wink_face.gif

...and another update on the 480g Crucial mSata V5.5:
I filled iPod with approximately 104K files in 9800 folders. I added in blocks of about 15K files each to avoid too much heat build up. I removed the ipod, and when I select "Files" it reports Buffer Full at a point near 59,000 files. I turned it off, and back on again. Splash screen, then screen shows:

Data abort at 0005DC1C (0)
pc:  0005DC1C sp:4000AEE8, etc, etc. bt end.

Computer will not acknowledge iPod. I just noticed it will not turn off and it is heating up. Emergency diskectomy.  Rats.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,426 of 10,664

On the Rockbox website I found this program which is recommended to batch resize images (Windows program)

Thanks C and it's a pretty cool little program. It would be exactly what I need if allowed to resize based on specified size (e.g. 50 kb).

...and another update on the 480g Crucial mSata V5.5:
I filled iPod with approximately 104K files in 9800 folders. I added in blocks of about 15K files each to avoid too much heat build up. I removed the ipod, and when I select "Files" it reports Buffer Full at a point near 59,000 files. I turned it off, and back on again. Splash screen, then screen shows:

Data abort at 0005DC1C (0)
pc:  0005DC1C sp:4000AEE8, etc, etc. bt end.

Computer will not acknowledge iPod. I just noticed it will not turn off and it is heating up. Emergency diskectomy.  Rats.

Looks like it's a safe bet using images to reduce number of files.

I am copying big blocks of files to the drive right now and the drive does not heat up. It's a little bit warm but normal. By the end of the day, I shall be able to drop quite a load to the drive. We'll see how it will go.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,427 of 10,664

wink_face.gif

On a mac so don't think CUE tools is available sadly.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,428 of 10,664
File Limits and Media Testing Update:
All tests were run with the same iTunes files coded to 128.mp3. All boards are 64k Ram with version noted (V). The objective was to evaluate the performance of the different media and determine the maximum file limit for each with stock iTunes firmware. My V6 tests were with a recovered logic board from a thin 80g iPod. My car testing is with a stock 2013 Toyota USB Apple Ipod interface.

- 240g Toshiba HD V7, V5 and V5.5 (formats to 120g in V6): More than 57K songs could be loaded before iPod was completely full. iTunesdb exceeded 80,000kb on iPod. Performance is consistent and reliable. iPod will not, however, play properly on the car interface, and there are many gaps in play. Database struggles to update, and sometimes cycles indefinitely.

-128g Transend and 256g Lexar SD+Tarkan V7 and V5.5: 128g SD loads smoothly and without hiccups in V5.5, V6 and V7. Plays in car with occasional gaps. V7 performs better than V5.5. 256g SD fails frequently during song load, whether via iTunes (error -69) or via Disk mode copy and regardless of iPod version. Failures occur randomly, and are not associated with specific song files. Replacement with new drive cable(s) or new logic board does not improve performance. 256g card passes all performance tests and has no bad sectors. Connected to car, iPod searching is responsive, but there are many play-gaps. Similar issues observed by others on this forum, therefore 256g Lexar 600x is not a reliable SD media for iPod.

-256g SuperTalent ZT2 SSD V5.5 (does not work in V6 or V7). Testing still underway. 24K songs have been loaded without issue. Unacceptable performance with car interface.

-256g BP4, Crucial and 480g Crucial mSata V5.5 (does not work in V7): Heat issues are significant for Crucial mSatas using iTunes firmware and software; songs must be loaded in chunks of less than 5000 at a time. If permitted to get too hot, these chips will burn up the adapter, the logic board, the chip and battery, not necessarily in that order. BP chips run considerably cooler. At about 35K songs, the iPod will report 0-songs in the library on removal from the USB. A reboot restores the songs, but not the artwork. I have successfully loaded about 47K songs onto the BP4 mSata with 33g free space remaining.  This ipod works in the car, but the battery drains completely unless the ipod is disconnected, and the search function is not reliable. Oddly, album artwork shows up for some songs.  480g Crucial mSata has same 0-song reporting error above 35k songs, but unlike the BP4, it will not restore the songs after a reboot.  In fact, a reboot after loading 44k songs resulted in a continuous Apple logo and an overheating issue for iPod, with subsequent destruction of the battery. Same iPod was tested with 240g Toshiba HD and 39K songs were successfully loaded without issue.  

Note: beyondwind's firmware update for mSata was tested on the 480g Crucial V5.5 and found to result in significantly less heating issues. A successful load of 38K, and 44K songs was tested and no issues were indentified.  A load of >100K songs were tested and found to overwhelm the buffer, crash the iPod and initiate an overheating cycle that destroyed the battery (however, board is currently not responsive and will require testing). 

-128g KingSpec SSD V6 and V7 (does not work in V5 or V5.5): This SSD is by far the most reliable SSD upgrade for use in the car. I have tested many; all fully loaded. There are occasional issues that result in the iPod shutting down unexpectedly and there are occasional continuous play-gaps. However, these events are relatively rate, and having exposed these iPods to both summer heat and winter cold - and because no other iPod will perform as well, I have built 4 which I rotate for use in the car.

Lastly, I have tested the 64g SanDisk regular and microSDXC cards in V5.5 and V7 ipods and in an iPod mini V2 using the Tarkan adapters. All work marvelously as iPods. The V5.5 and 7 are great in the car, but the mini V2 is not always recognized as an ipod - so the songs show up with Apple's 4-letter code instead of artist and track, etc.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,430 of 10,664

Thanks C and it's a pretty cool little program. It would be exactly what I need if allowed to resize based on specified size (e.g. 50 kb).

Looks like it's a safe bet using images to reduce number of files.

I am copying big blocks of files to the drive right now and the drive does not heat up. It's a little bit warm but normal. By the end of the day, I shall be able to drop quite a load to the drive. We'll see how it will go.

Fact is, I don't want the 480g mSata for a bunch of 128.mp3 files anyway. Knowing I was able to load 44K files without a problem means that I could code my files to 320.mp3 or lossless aac. Hmm, with a 1T mSata I could just go straight to flac...

Beyondwind is king. The RB 480g mSata has made possible a lossless iPod for the truly obsessed.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back