Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,371 of 10,664
  Have you tried to load that same card on a RockBoxed iPod, I got one of those 256gb cards and the file transfer failed even on RockBox which is interesting because the card is just storing files and not being loaded with any file transfer programs other than Windows Explorer.  

It may work if we use disk images of albums instead of albums with individual tracks. (Like Dminor loads his music)

Before the patch, my initial tests on the 446g mSata V5.5 failed with RB and I haven't been able to get to test the patch yet. I really want to know if there is a difference in the song limits for the different media, and so I have been testing the SD, mSata, and HD during the last week.  After I finish these tests, I will test the 446g mSata with RBpatch.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2,372 of 10,664
  Have you tried to load that same card on a RockBoxed iPod, I got one of those 256gb cards and the file transfer failed even on RockBox which is interesting because the card is just storing files and not being loaded with any file transfer programs other than Windows Explorer.  

It may work if we use disk images of albums instead of albums with individual tracks. (Like Dminor loads his music)

I am not exactly clear on how Dminor loads from images - but I did try to load the card manually from a full set of files taken from a 240g Toshiba HD V7.  While in disc mode, I copied all the files to my computer, then connected the 256g SD Lexar V7 to the computer and tried to copy all of the files to the ipod. The SD ipod loads at twice the speed of my HD ipods, but reports file copy errors that eventually stop the copy procedure.  I've tried a couple times, and yesterday, even managed to get 38 of the 50 music folders copied before it failed.  Unfortunately, after the failure, the ipod will not get beyond the Apple logo, and the card has to be reformatted, and ipod restored before I can load again.

I have used the method successfully with 240g Toshiba V5.5 ipods, but have not been successful with this Lexar SD card.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,373 of 10,664

How is that possible if you don't mind me asking and is it possible if the tracks are individual already?  Mind you I don't have as much as some of you so I doubt I'd run into the same issue!

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,374 of 10,664

I am not exactly clear on how Dminor loads from images

Most of mine are one single FLAC file with a cue file for each album, so I have much less number of files on the drive than if I have individual track files.

BTW, I can't wait for you to test your 480GB mSATA for the RB patch as my 480GB has been shipped by Amazon. I am sure the patch will work and hopefully the heat issue will be resolved as well.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,375 of 10,664
Another update:
(All of the tests below use the same iTunes database using stock ipod firmware. The ipod logic boards are known to work fine with Toshiba 240gb HD. All are 64k RAM. All songs in test library are coded to 128.mp3)

- 240g Toshiba HD V7:  I have now loaded 55054 songs on to the ipod. There's about 3g of space on ipod left. Loads at about 200 songs/min.

- 256g BP4 mSata V5.5: I've loaded 38689 songs still without heat issues of Crucial chip. To my surprise, it loads at about 110-120 songs/min.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,376 of 10,664
Most of mine are one single FLAC file with a cue file for each album, so I have much less number of files on the drive than if I have individual track files.

BTW, I can't wait for you to test your 480GB mSATA for the RB patch as my 480GB has been shipped by Amazon. I am sure the patch will work and hopefully the heat issue will be resolved as well.
I tested the Rockboxed mSATA iPod for maybe 10 hours and not a single problem, battery life is great going from 100% to 43% I powered the headphones of the FiiO E17.

Another update:
(All of the tests below use the same iTunes database using stock ipod firmware. The ipod logic boards are known to work fine with Toshiba 240gb HD. All are 64k RAM. All songs in test library are coded to 128.mp3)

- 240g Toshiba HD V7:  I have now loaded 55054 songs on to the ipod. There's about 3g of space on ipod left. Loads at about 200 songs/min.

- 256g BP4 mSata V5.5: I've loaded 38689 songs still without heat issues of Crucial chip. To my surprise, it loads at about 110-120 songs/min.
Looks like mSATA is the new way to go now, it's a shame it doesn't work on the 7th generation iPod.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,377 of 10,664
I tested the Rockboxed mSATA iPod for maybe 10 hours and not a single problem, battery life is great going from 100% to 43% I powered the headphones of the FiiO E17.
Looks like mSATA is the new way to go now, it's a shame it doesn't work on the 7th generation iPod.

That's awesome. I agree with this RB patch the mSATA's seem to be the way to go in terms of getting the most of bang for your buck.

I can't wait to be a proud owner of a rockboxed 480GB diymod next week.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,378 of 10,664
That's awesome. I agree with this RB patch the mSATA's seem to be the way to go in terms of getting the most of bang for your buck.

I can't wait to be a proud owner of a rockboxed 480GB diymod next week. :D
I am considering ordering the 480mSATA, it cost less that what I paid for one of the two Wellcore cards... (I am justifying the purchase)

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,379 of 10,664
I am considering ordering the 480mSATA, it cost less that what I paid for one of the two Wellcore cards... (I am justifying the purchase)

I totally understand. Just wish this RB patch came earlier so we could have probably skipped all these 256GB CF's (and especially the trouble for you).

It remains to be seen if this patch works well on the 480GB.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,380 of 10,664
I totally understand. Just wish this RB patch came earlier so we could have probably skipped all these 256GB CF's (and especially the trouble for you).

It remains to be seen if this patch works well on the 480GB.
I guess we will find out soon, just ordered the 480gb Crucial card off Amazon. It will be here on Wednesday :cool:

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,382 of 10,664
  Hey gang I found this about FAT32 file system amount of files limitation depending on the amount of characters in the files saved:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2651907/is-there-a-limit-for-the-number-of-files-in-a-directory-on-an-sd-card

Quote:
  ....... All songs in test library are coded to 128.mp3......

I have carefully read the web page that cmarti cited and did some further calculations. My conclusion is that FAT32 file system should NOT limit the amount of songs loadable to a 500 GB storage media (HDD or flash/SD/SSD/CF), as long as: 1) your songs' names are not always significantly longer than 30 characters; and 2) your songs' bit rate is no less than 256 kbps.

If your songs' bit rate is at 128 kbps (which seems to be the case of dr408517) and your songs' names always have about 30 characters, then your usable music storage from a FAT32-formatted storage may be around 250 GB. But most people here probably should NOT have this problem.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,383 of 10,664
The things is that I was loading ALAC and mp3 320kbps files and still the file transferring failed for iTunes, Foobar200 and MediaMonkey and even failed when I tried to load the card with windows explorer on a rockboxed iPod mini.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,384 of 10,664
The things is that I was loading ALAC and mp3 320kbps files and still the file transferring failed for iTunes, Foobar200 and MediaMonkey and even failed when I tried to load the card with windows explorer on a rockboxed iPod mini.

^ Sorry, I don't know what was causing your difficulties, but it probably is not the FAT32 format. I have loaded a FAT32-formatted 1TB wifi HDD to its full capacity and everything works when I stream (I have  mp3 files >= 256 kbps and song names with less than 20 characters). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back