Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,356 of 10,664
Great news for the mSATA mod .....

Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707618/rockbox-for-ipod-video-5th-5-5th-msata-ssd-mod#post_10312785

http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=5

I just ordered a Crucial 480GB mSATA SSD and the adapter. Will let you guys know how this goes next week after I receive them. Rockbox simply rocks!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,357 of 10,664
  Great news for the mSATA mod .....

Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707618/rockbox-for-ipod-video-5th-5-5th-msata-ssd-mod#post_10312785

http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=5

I just ordered a Crucial 480GB mSATA SSD and the adapter. Will let you guys know how this goes next week after I receive them. Rockbox simply rocks!

Can you post a link to the msata adaptor please?  Never did get round to ordering either the Compact flash (fear of taxes) or sdxc card (too damn expensive).  The 480 works out at about £215 from amazon so much more reasonable.  For some reason the crucial 256 ssd seems to have vanished and it's either the 240 available or the 480 gig!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,358 of 10,664
  Can you post a link to the msata adaptor please?  Never did get round to ordering either the Compact flash (fear of taxes) or sdxc card (too damn expensive).  The 480 works out at about £215 from amazon so much more reasonable.  For some reason the crucial 256 ssd seems to have vanished and it's either the 240 available or the 480 gig!

Below are what I ordered today for testing the RB patch ...

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-480GB-mSATA-Internal-CT480M500SSD3/dp/B00BQ8RHMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393537480&sr=8-1&keywords=480gb+msata

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321289663396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,359 of 10,664
I have exactly this configuration. My logic board is a 5.5. Rockbox 3.13 autoloader reported an ATA error 11 and would to complete. I had to reformat the mSata to restore to the std ipod firmware. Heat issues continue with the Crucial chips. I am now experimenting with the BP4 256g chip.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2,360 of 10,664
I have exactly this configuration. My logic board is a 5.5. Rockbox 3.13 autoloader reported an ATA error 11 and would to complete. I had to reformat the mSata to restore to the std ipod firmware. Heat issues continue with the Crucial chips. I am now experimenting with the BP4 256g chip.

Now you have the rockbox patch to try (from the link above) and please let me know if you still have trouble. If the patch doesn't work for your 480GB mSATA, I may just cancel my order before it's shipped.

Waiting for your results .........  :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #2,361 of 10,664
  I totally agree with you on the above statement, I don't use iTunes. I use MediaMonkey and when I was loading the 256gb iPod mini at one point MediaMonkey told me that a file already existed and if I wanted to overwrite it, immediately after that the iPod was no longer functioning and the only thing that I could do it restore it.

To me it's like there is a maximum number of songs that the itunesdb could create.  The difference with RockBox is that you store the files and access them when you browse the folders do there's no database to create.

(I hope it makes sense) 
normal_smile%20.gif

Edit: My 256 mSATA iPod video doesn't have that issue but it is mostly loaded with Apple Lossless, it has 14,216 songs and they were transferred with MediaMonkey and foobar2000.

Lexar 256g SD+Tarkan Update:  
I installed the Lexar 256g into my V5.5 and loaded the my library using iTunes. Again, just above 36K songs, the iPod reports 0 songs. I reformated, restored and loaded the SD iPod with backup files containing 44982 songs and a 76455 KB iTunesdb in disk mode.  Again, iPod reports 0 songs. Removed Tarkan and installed Toshiba 240g HD, restored and loaded the drive with the same backup files in disk mode. HD iPod works like a charm. 

Conclusion - Song number and db limitation is related to media, and not firmware. It is possible the SD card is bad, though it works wonderfully as a storage media and loads in disc mode at rates twice as fast as the HD.  My next test will be to load an mSata 256g BP4 with the library to see if the limits exist for mSata.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #2,362 of 10,664

I installed the Lexar 256g into my V5.5 and loaded the my library using iTunes. Again, just above 36K songs, the iPod reports 0 songs. I reformated, restored and loaded the SD iPod with backup files containing 44982 songs and a 76455 KB iTunesdb in disk mode.  Again, iPod reports 0 songs. Removed Tarkan and installed Toshiba 240g HD, restored and loaded the drive with the same backup files in disk mode. HD iPod works like a charm. 

Conclusion - Song number and db limitation is related to media, and not firmware. It is possible the SD card is bad, though it works wonderfully as a storage media and loads in disc mode at rates twice as fast as the HD.  My next test will be to load an mSata 256g BP4 with the library to see if the limits exist for mSata.

I had exactly the same issue with my 256gb SD card, When loading it with songs at some point it corrupts and the iPod shows 0 songs, I think it was around 24,000 songs when this happened.

Tried several times and the card was tested with H2testw so I know that card is not defective.   I am looking forward to hear more of your tests.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,363 of 10,664

Have you tried the above with rockbox installed?

Same question to cmarti as well.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2,364 of 10,664

Haven't tried with RB yet.  Now that there appears to be an mSata patch (!), I am really jazzed about the possibility of loading RB to the 446gb Crucial V5.5 to see if it works. Previous tests with the Crucial chips also hit some load limit, and the heat issue was really an issue.

As I am loading the mSata BP4 V5.5 now, I'll have to wait until it completes before I can test anything else. So far, with ~10K songs loaded, the heat issue is MUCH less with the BP4 256g chip.  At the current rate, it will be at least a couple hours before I hit the 35K ceiling.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,365 of 10,664

Same thing, thing is that we are trying to load more files than what you load because you only use two files as you only save the music in disk image files resulting in less files.

I have been using the Rockboxed mSATA ipod and it's cold and no songs have skipped.

I think we got a keeper here people! 
wink_face.gif

Edit: corrected some grammar issues.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,366 of 10,664
  Same thing, thing is that we are trying to load more files than what you load because you only use two files as you only save the music in disk image files resulting in less files.

I have been using the Rockboxed mSATA ipod and it's cold and no songs have skipped.

I think we got a keeper here people! 
wink_face.gif

This is encouraging news and it bodes well for the 480GB mSATA.

How's the battery performance so far with this patch? Does the battery drain faster than other mods using CF or SD cards?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,367 of 10,664

Although I called my rockbox patch as msata patch, it works well with stock iPOD, and I believe it should also work for CF or SD mod.
5thG iPOD stock firmware will try to initialize and load all DBs in memory at startup, and I believe RAM size is limiting the size of the DB that can be loaded. Roxbox stores DB on the harddrive, use RAM for buffers only, I've tested my build with 30k+ songs, not a problem.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,368 of 10,664
Hey gang I found this about FAT32 file system amount of files limitation depending on the amount of characters in the files saved:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2651907/is-there-a-limit-for-the-number-of-files-in-a-directory-on-an-sd-card

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,369 of 10,664
Hey gang I found this about FAT32 file system amount of files limitation depending on the amount of characters in the files saved:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2651907/is-there-a-limit-for-the-number-of-files-in-a-directory-on-an-sd-card

Very interesting. This may be the answer to the file number limit.

All of the tests below use the same iTunes database using stock ipod firmware. The ipod logic boards are known to work fine with Toshiba 240gb HD. All are 64k RAM.

Update for 240g Toshiba HD V7:
I have loaded 51922 songs on to the HD ipod and have used it for a week. No issues.

Update on BP4 mSata V5.5:
I've loaded 29767 songs without heat or 0-song issue.

Update on 256g SD Lexar+Tarkan V7:
I managed to load about 16k songs before the ipod locked up my computer. What is interesting to me is that the number of songs at failure is so variable and inconsistent., and have ranged from 12k to more than 20k. Ipod loads about 1000 songs, and then reports an error 69. If sync is selected again, it loads normally until it repoerts another 69 error. This error is reported on random songs, and does not report for other ipods.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,370 of 10,664
Update on 256g SD Lexar+Tarkan V7:
I managed to load about 16k songs before the ipod locked up my computer. What is interesting to me is that the number of songs at failure is so variable and inconsistent., and have ranged from 12k to more than 20k. Ipod loads about 1000 songs, and then reports an error 69. If sync is selected again, it loads normally until it reports another 69 error. This error is reported on random songs, and does not report for other ipods.

Have you tried to load that same card on a RockBoxed iPod, I got one of those 256gb cards and the file transfer failed even on RockBox which is interesting because the card is just storing files and not being loaded with any file transfer programs other than Windows Explorer.  

It may work if we use disk images of albums instead of albums with individual tracks. (Like Dminor loads his music)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back