Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #317 of 9,621
Hi Duncan

Your link does not work on my Windows 8.1 laptop, so I have posted below, my original post from FiiO X5 2.36 beta thread:-

@kkib

This is the link for the whole of the free Christmas HD tracks from LINN, from this year.  The link is only valid until 6th January 2015.

I have downloaded them at Studio Master quality,  24 bit, 192kHz flac, using the Linn Download Manager.  (File is over 4GB and contains 25 tracks.

They play perfectly on my X5.   I have put them in a folder titled "Hi-Res Tracks" or something similar.

I just dragged them from a download folder on to the X5 using Windows 8.1 and then did a manual file update on the X5

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-day-24-free-track-2014.aspx

If you have any further problems, let me know and I'll have a look at my file setup.  You shouldn't need to alter the tagging and album art

You may need to register if you have not done so previously, in order to download, but the files and Linn Download Manager are free.  Just click on "buy" for the quality you require.

Edited by superbike999 - Yesterday at 10:41 pm View History

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #318 of 9,621
Hi Duncan

Your link does not work on my Windows 8.1 laptop, so I have posted below, my original post from FiiO X5 2.36 beta thread:-
How weird... If you hover over my link it is exactly the same URL as yours!

However, kudos to you for the find / advisory :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #319 of 9,621
Modern "Canterbury Prog" influenced band with a jazzier psychedelic sound
(not free)

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #323 of 9,621
If you are into Ambient, you should check Jaja out.
Jaja makes some really amazing music, and its all free.
http://www.ektoplazm.com/index.php?s=jaja

The site has a ton of free music but it's all electronic, if you are into that type of heavy electronic music then the site has quite a bit for you.

Cheers.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #324 of 9,621
Misery in Soliloquy is now free on Bandcamp, marking the end Symbion Project's transition to making all of his music there name-your-price. This is a lot of people's favorite Symbion Project release to date, but I had much trouble with it when it initially came out. The first album released after Kasson's departure from Freezepop, Misery in Soliloquy was a considerably more personal record than the prior Symbion Project albums. It might've been only until the [Exposed] version of this album was released, sans vocals and drums, that I gained proper respect for it, even though to this day I think I still prefer the [Exposed] version to the original, personally. [Exposed] revealed the genius of the original, and that is why I revere it so.

Symbion Project - Misery in Soliloquy
https://symbionproject.bandcamp.com/album/misery-in-soliloquy

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #325 of 9,621
  Hi Duncan

@kkib

This is the link for the whole of the free Christmas HD tracks from LINN, from this year.  The link is only valid until 6th January 2015.

I have downloaded them at Studio Master quality,  24 bit, 192kHz flac, using the Linn Download Manager.  (File is over 4GB and contains 25 tracks.

They play perfectly on my X5.   I have put them in a folder titled "Hi-Res Tracks" or something similar.

I just dragged them from a download folder on to the X5 using Windows 8.1 and then did a manual file update on the X5

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-day-24-free-track-2014.aspx

If you have any further problems, let me know and I'll have a look at my file setup.  You shouldn't need to alter the tagging and album art

You may need to register if you have not done so previously, in order to download, but the files and Linn Download Manager are free.  Just click on "buy" for the quality you require.

Edited by superbike999 - Yesterday at 10:41 pm View History

Thank you for your offer to help. It turned out that X5 did not like the folder name. When I moved the files out of the folder they are all detected.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #327 of 9,621
This 12-hour (!) album isn't exactly free in its entirety, but two of the tracks are (it says "free" right next to their name) and the whole album is of course available to stream in full. In addition, purchasing the whole thing will only set you back a buck (you can pay more if you want), which to me is the equivalent of being free. I've only listened to the first two hours, but this massive body of work is very much to my liking. Exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. The philosophy behind it is something I very much respect.

Dirty Knobs - The Hermit Seeks the Stillness
https://zacbentz.bandcamp.com/album/the-hermit-seeks-the-stillness

The new 12 hour album The Hermit Seeks the Stillness is now available to stream in full and pay-what-you-want to download.

It took me a long time to understand what these songs were about.

At first I had an image in my mind of an empty room. A room left to its own devices. Maybe just for a moment, maybe for decades, maybe several lifetimes. The still air slowly drifting motes of dust from one corner to another. Sunlight and the moonlight sliding across the walls and the floor. Objects settling, sighing as they slowly dissolve. Rooms full of automation that still ran, its purpose lost.

Then I read a story (http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit) about a modern-day hermit who managed to live in the woods quite near to society for almost thirty years without anyone ever seeing him. He was eventually captured and sent to jail where he quickly fell to pieces.

When asked what he had learned in all that time alone, he replied "Get enough sleep." Then:

"’What I miss most,’ he eventually continued, ‘is somewhere between quiet and solitude. What I miss most is stillness...I'd stretch out in the water, float on my back, and look at the stars.’"

And there it was. That’s what these recordings were. The stillness. Whether it’s thirty years of it or just the world pausing for a breath for a couple minutes, that’s what I was looking to capture.

It happens to me often, if not often enough. A still moment. Where I live, when it gets very cold (much colder than the winters our hermit friend managed to endure), this is easy to experience. Sometimes, after the temperature nears more-or-less absolute zero for the twelfth day in a row and you step out into that cold, you can imagine atoms sluggishly clinking together. But there are also summer nights when frog-talk is the only sound, or the wind turns the tall trees into a white noise generator. One can try to hold on to these moments of stillness, but they always pass.

These songs are meant to be...not background music exactly. But something to change the environment around the listener. A sort of sideways transportation to artificially slow time, just as those moments of stillness are ultimately artificial. These songs are not meant to capture those moments, but to instead provide a space for those moments to be captured.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #329 of 9,621
Jumped on Dirty Knobs as well. Love being able to offer cash for artist's music on my terms. Not paying for the physical CD or vinyl makes it very worth while. Keeping in mind that this is the free music thread, of course.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #330 of 9,621

This 12-hour (!) album isn't exactly free in its entirety, but two of the tracks are (it says "free" right next to their name) and the whole album is of course available to stream in full. In addition, purchasing the whole thing will only set you back a buck (you can pay more if you want), which to me is the equivalent of being free. I've only listened to the first two hours, but this massive body of work is very much to my liking. Exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. The philosophy behind it is something I very much respect.

Dirty Knobs - The Hermit Seeks the Stillness
https://zacbentz.bandcamp.com/album/the-hermit-seeks-the-stillness

The new 12 hour album The Hermit Seeks the Stillness is now available to stream in full and pay-what-you-want to download.

It took me a long time to understand what these songs were about.

At first I had an image in my mind of an empty room. A room left to its own devices. Maybe just for a moment, maybe for decades, maybe several lifetimes. The still air slowly drifting motes of dust from one corner to another. Sunlight and the moonlight sliding across the walls and the floor. Objects settling, sighing as they slowly dissolve. Rooms full of automation that still ran, its purpose lost.

Then I read a story (http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit) about a modern-day hermit who managed to live in the woods quite near to society for almost thirty years without anyone ever seeing him. He was eventually captured and sent to jail where he quickly fell to pieces.

When asked what he had learned in all that time alone, he replied "Get enough sleep." Then:

"’What I miss most,’ he eventually continued, ‘is somewhere between quiet and solitude. What I miss most is stillness...I'd stretch out in the water, float on my back, and look at the stars.’"

And there it was. That’s what these recordings were. The stillness. Whether it’s thirty years of it or just the world pausing for a breath for a couple minutes, that’s what I was looking to capture.

It happens to me often, if not often enough. A still moment. Where I live, when it gets very cold (much colder than the winters our hermit friend managed to endure), this is easy to experience. Sometimes, after the temperature nears more-or-less absolute zero for the twelfth day in a row and you step out into that cold, you can imagine atoms sluggishly clinking together. But there are also summer nights when frog-talk is the only sound, or the wind turns the tall trees into a white noise generator. One can try to hold on to these moments of stillness, but they always pass.

These songs are meant to be...not background music exactly. But something to change the environment around the listener. A sort of sideways transportation to artificially slow time, just as those moments of stillness are ultimately artificial. These songs are not meant to capture those moments, but to instead provide a space for those moments to be captured.

This is my hometown music.  Excellent share.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back