Official ATH-ES7 Thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #526 of 542
Quote:
Quite easy actually. Used a scotch brite pad.
I took a damp one and gently ran it over the cans in one direction. The most important thing is to do the polishing in only one direction for a uniform finish.

what kind of scotch brite pad did you use? tempted to do it as well with my incoming white ES7 =)

hate those fingerprint magnets!

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #528 of 542
i was thinking sandpaper last time since i did the same with my ipod touch but im not sure if the material of the es7 is metal-based.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #530 of 542
just got my replacement pair in the mail, but i am astonished at how different the sound sig is from my last pair. my last pair took something like 100 hours of burn in before they had anything resembling bass come out of them. once they were burnt in, though, they were perfect. absolutely stunning. these ones have massive bass straight out of the box, and are much less forward. also, the positioning was better in the last pair... although i am not sure if this is something that changes with burn-in. With the last pair i felt like i could reach out and touch the singer while listening to the album Damnation by Opeth.

the only physical differences between the cans was the plug. this one has a ribbed plug whereas the other pair had a plug that was tapered and smooth all the way to the cord.

edit: i also think the pads are much softer than the ones on my other pair.

also, i got the new ones from Beach Camera on Amazon. I am pretty sure they are real, i am only questioning whether my old pair was real or not. These new ones better match the descriptions of the sound signature i read on here.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #531 of 542
sounds like your first pair were fakes - the non ribbed plug is a clear sign.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #533 of 542
Hey guys!

Let's see if i can revive this old thread a little bit.
I'm in the market for buying a pair of headphones and these beauties caught my eye. Sadly, there is no store in Stockholm that has them, so i can't try them on before buying them. I would beusing these quite a lot in front of my computer, so i'm wondering if the comfort is good enough for that kind of prolonged use? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #534 of 542
Quote:
Hey guys!

Let's see if i can revive this old thread a little bit.
I'm in the market for buying a pair of headphones and these beauties caught my eye. Sadly, there is no store in Stockholm that has them, so i can't try them on before buying them. I would beusing these quite a lot in front of my computer, so i'm wondering if the comfort is good enough for that kind of prolonged use? 

The comfort on the es7 is so-so (what you'd expect from a supra-aural can), so you'll likely get sore ears after about two hours of constant use, and some people get sore earlier. But saying all that, it's easy to get a good seal with es7 with a number of positions on the head, and I often find that just adjusting where the headphone sits on my head and swivelling the earcups accordingly after the first two hours will give me another two hours to play with (kind of), if that makes any sense.

I know some people bend, or rather unbend, the headband to improve comfort, but I'm still not willing to do that just yet lol, and perhaps a change of pads would help, as the stock ones that come with the es7 are pretty shallow.

---------

Anyway, I overall love the ath-es7, as it was the can that really got me into headphones a couple of years ago. I'd owned a couple of lowend Senns before then, and got by just fine, but the ath-es7 took me to a new level and started me on my headphone journey. To this day I just love how ready-to-go they are when I put them on -- they're so fun and lively.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #535 of 542
Honestly in my opinion, if you are willing to spend a little more money, get the es 10. At least that's what I did. When I was comparing the two in store, the es 7 felt much more bland compared to the es 10. You can hear a clearer emphasis on the bass, mids, and the highs on the es 10 than the es 7. Also, I couldn't feel enough "thickness" in the sound coming from the es 7. The sound felt flat.

Sadly, the price is as great as the sound difference (roughly 120 dollars more I think...). Adding on to the thread, doesn't the es 7 come with plastic packaging to prevent scratches and fingerprints? Why not just trim the plastic wrap into a circular shape and just leave it on the headphone?

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #536 of 542
Quote:
Honestly in my opinion, if you are willing to spend a little more money, get the es 10. At least that's what I did. When I was comparing the two in store, the es 7 felt much more bland compared to the es 10. You can hear a clearer emphasis on the bass, mids, and the highs on the es 10 than the es 7. Also, I couldn't feel enough "thickness" in the sound coming from the es 7. The sound felt flat.

Sadly, the price is as great as the sound difference (roughly 120 dollars more I think...). Adding on to the thread, doesn't the es 7 come with plastic packaging to prevent scratches and fingerprints? Why not just trim the plastic wrap into a circular shape and just leave it on the headphone?

Intresting. I'm actually giving my ES7 a bass boost at the moment, because for my current preferences I find the overall sound on the headphone to be a bit too lean -- this might relate to your calling the ES7 ''flat''. However, I wouldn't call the ES7 flat or bland on its own merits, as I think it's generally a lively can that is always ready to go. When I hadn't heard too many alternatives back in the day, it was the most enjoyable headphone I'd ever experienced. Granted, against something like an ES10, which is supposed to be quite bassy and a little aggressive, I can see how the ES7 probably won't sound quite as filling. Glad to hear you're enjoying the ES10 though, because I'm considering getting one pretty darn soon.

About the ES7 coming with plastic packaging (I think you mean protectors?) to prevent scratches and fingerprints: when I bought mine a few years ago the only accessories it came with was a velour bag and a cleaning cloth for the metal cups. I don't think the cups came with anything special on them. I've taken my ES7 out and about and I used to use it quite regularly at my desk when it was my only headphone for a time, and the cups are still pretty darn clean and scratch-free and, well, I always say I don't know how that happened considering how some people get scratches straight off the bat.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #537 of 542
Ahahah, sorry my bad. I think I over criticized the flaws of es 7 too much. For it's price and its capabilities, it definitely is a great buy. Now that I think about it, there was indeed a time period in which I assumed my Sherwood se-777 was the best IEM in the world. 

- I just remembered that only the es 10 comes with plastic packaging surrounding the metal cups. I wouldn't call them protectors because I'm not sure whether or not it can withstand constant scratching (it can prevent fingerprints though).

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #538 of 542
Just got my first es7. Most probably the last one too, as this headphones got discontinued. Got them for 77 euro (germany), quite a steal imho!
ES7 sounds more clearer then V-Moda M-100 and I even prefer the new ES7 (no burnin yet) over my ATH WS55. And they look so fancy on my head :D
Only the cable of the WS55 seems much more durable.

Thread for the ES700, the official successor of the ES7:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700/195

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #539 of 542
I am very happy to revive this thread to just say that I just received a pair of these headphones, having put an offer of £18 in on ebay which the seller accepted.  I have never owned a pair of Audio-Technicas, so just bought them out of curiosity as they have a good history.  As you can see in my signature, I have a collection of headphones way above these in quality and I am quite particular about sound quality but I must admit that these little cans have really impressed me.  No, they're not neutral or accurate but they have a really fun and a quite detailed sound signature.  There was nothing for me to be upset about, which if you know me, is a good thing!  I can't imagine getting anything near this sound quality for £18.  Go used people.  Try these old chestnuts out for peanuts now!  You won't be disappointed.  They have a rather overblown bass, but many people will like that and it certainly helps when using them out and about.  They look great too and feel quite heavy and sturdier than I was expecting.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #540 of 542
  I am very happy to revive this thread to just say that I just received a pair of these headphones, having put an offer of £18 in on ebay which the seller accepted.  I have never owned a pair of Audio-Technicas, so just bought them out of curiosity as they have a good history.  As you can see in my signature, I have a collection of headphones way above these in quality and I am quite particular about sound quality but I must admit that these little cans have really impressed me.  No, they're not neutral or accurate but they have a really fun and a quite detailed sound signature.  There was nothing for me to be upset about, which if you know me, is a good thing!  I can't imagine getting anything near this sound quality for £18.  Go used people.  Try these old chestnuts out for peanuts now!  You won't be disappointed.  They have a rather overblown bass, but many people will like that and it certainly helps when using them out and about.  They look great too and feel quite heavy and sturdier than I was expecting.

I have the black one but always wanted the white ones, haha. I just set up an Ebay alert for them so hopefully I can pick one up as cheaply as you did. They really do sound fantastic for a great looking set of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back