Obscure Chinese DAPs
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #5,086 of 8,144
Well I don't know what best are but from what I have I enjoy the f.audio s1($45-60) I have the zishan z3($50) fiio x1 gen 2 (peice of crap, freezez every hour of playback) Walnut v2( awesome at around $30) and zishan z1.

F.audio is awesome, has some electronic noises in some songs( usually if it gets quiet between beat changes or in the beginning of songs when the beat is starting to build up) but in general it's great, -+30 hours playback, great sound, had for a month and hasn't froozen once
Zishan z3 rocks with a muses 8920 or lm6172 opamps and upgraded caps( this player is best if you upgrade it a bit)
Fiio x1 gen 2 sounds good but freezes ever time I look at it and takes forever to refresh the library, scrollwheel too sensitive ( I don't recommend this at all, complete rip off,$ 100 and zishan and f.audio wipe the floor with it, trash)
Walnut v2 is great no complains, has rolled off highs and lows but mids are really good, roll off not so bad when used like and amp, has power, like allot of power, makes for a good cheap amp

these 3 daps uve mentioned have no screen right? how do u exactly navigate through a large library with that kind of dap? sorry im really kind of new to these audiophile thingys
currently quite interested in benjie k3, t6, and shanling m0
what u guys think of these stuffs? are there better daps out there?

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #5,087 of 8,144
these 3 daps uve mentioned have no screen right? how do u exactly navigate through a large library with that kind of dap? sorry im really kind of new to these audiophile thingys
currently quite interested in benjie k3, t6, and shanling m0
what u guys think of these stuffs? are there better daps out there?
They have screens, I navigate through about 80 gigs of music just fine, the fiio has a colour screen, zishan z3 and f.audio s1 have small LED screen but can scroll no problems, the Walnut v2 and zishan z1 don't have screens I just use smaller SD cards with those, my wife also thought she needed a screen, that's why we got the fiio, but it's UI is so horrible has so many freeze up, now she takes my zishan z3 and loves it, lighting fast and she even likes buttons because they work through gloves, jeans, and less chances of sensors going bad

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #5,088 of 8,144
They have screens, I navigate through about 80 gigs of music just fine, the fiio has a colour screen, zishan z3 and f.audio s1 have small LED screen but can scroll no problems, the Walnut v2 and zishan z1 don't have screens I just use smaller SD cards with those, my wife also thought she needed a screen, that's why we got the fiio, but it's UI is so horrible has so many freeze up, now she takes my zishan z3 and loves it, lighting fast and she even likes buttons because they work through gloves, jeans, and less chances of sensors going bad

i see
from your recommendations im leaning towards f. audio because im hearing bad stuff about zishan z3

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5,089 of 8,144
I don't have the Shanling mo but I have also been eyeing it

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5,090 of 8,144
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #5,091 of 8,144
First impressions about the xDuoo X3II: Not that the difference is brutal in terms of qualitative jump, but it has been in the right direction. The sound is very soft although it is not lacking in detail at all, it is very clean and defined, with lots of air and space. The bass are slightly emphasized with respect to the QNGEE X2 in the sense of depth and definition. The highs are precise but they do not squeak, they do not have shrillness, they are very harmonious. The voices still can not say much. But the DAP seems to be ideal for long listening, in the sense that I was looking for, neutral profile, slightly emphasized bass, softness and clarity. Well well.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-02 at 20.22.31.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #5,092 of 8,144
First impressions about the xDuoo X3II: Not that the difference is brutal in terms of qualitative jump, but it has been in the right direction. The sound is very soft although it is not lacking in detail at all, it is very clean and defined, with lots of air and space. The bass are slightly emphasized with respect to the QNGEE X2 in the sense of depth and definition. The highs are precise but they do not squeak, they do not have shrillness, they are very harmonious. The voices still can not say much. But the DAP seems to be ideal for long listening, in the sense that I was looking for, neutral profile, slightly emphasized bass, softness and clarity. Well well.

Hi @cqtek , I hope you can provide FR for X3ii it would be interesting tohow see how it actually compares to QNGEE... :) :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #5,093 of 8,144
Hi @cqtek , I hope you can provide FR for X3ii it would be interesting tohow see how it actually compares to QNGEE... :) :)

Today I start the holidays. But it is possible that in September I do a review and a comparison with the Shanling M0. Of course I will include FR graph of both.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #5,094 of 8,144
been playing with the dodocool
looks like a good all arounder with FM etc
reminds me of my older Cowon J just bigger

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,096 of 8,144
Is there any headless player (i.e. no screen) that can do gapless playback and/or cue sheet support? How would one operate such a thing with no screen?

I don't think those screenless daps are for someone like me. I have Flac albums on 128 GB or 200 GB cards. I need to be able to navigate to a particular album and then just play that album (with gapless because of the albums that require it).

Are the screenless ones just for shuffling a bunch of songs?

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #5,097 of 8,144
I don't think those screenless daps are for someone like me. I have Flac albums on 128 GB or 200 GB cards. I need to be able to navigate to a particular album and then just play that album (with gapless because of the albums that require it).

If a screenless player exists that has gapless playback, micro SD support and can be navigated relatively easily then I'll absolutely pick it up.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,099 of 8,144

Depends on the number of albums you have.
You can jump album to album or a create a folder with your favorite songs like a playlist.
But the sound I am getting from my Revamp Acoustics Nuansa P1 makes the hassle worthwhile.

I understand the navigation issue but I don't need to see any pretty album art especially if the device is going to sleep after so many seconds anyway.
If these screens stayed lit like a digital picture frame, then the hi quality album art would be worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back