O2 AMP + ODAC
Oct 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,526 of 5,671
  The sound quality should be better, but probably not audibly better. It measures better as a whole. If not, what the hell is the point of the Odac?

As far as I'm concerned, and I probably shouldn't share this, ODAC gives you peace of mind.

Some people actually need a DAC. You might be experiencing distortion, hum, or other background noise. These are obvious signs that you need a DAC. For situations in which you're not sure if you need a DAC, an amplifier resolves nearly all headphone listening inadequacies (better THD+N, output-Z, output power, even superior SNR for sub-unity listening).

So, if you already have clean audio and a clean amplifier, ODAC ensures your audio signal is optimal. Whether or not you can hear the difference depends entirely on your equipment.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3,527 of 5,671

As far as I'm concerned, and I probably shouldn't share this, ODAC gives you peace of mind.

Some people actually need a DAC. You might be experiencing distortion, hum, or other background noise. These are obvious signs that you need a DAC. For situations in which you're not sure if you need a DAC, an amplifier resolves nearly all headphone listening inadequacies (better THD+N, output-Z, output power, even superior SNR for sub-unity listening).

So, if you already have clean audio and a clean amplifier, ODAC ensures your audio signal is optimal. Whether or not you can hear the difference depends entirely on your equipment.

I agree with you. But I also bought an Odac because I knew it measured better (instead of only as a peace of mind deal). The improvements, whether audible or not, exist. And that makes me happy. It's not wholly rational but I openly acknowledge that.

Also, in order for the Odac to provide a peace of mind, it ought to have better sound quality than whatever a personally originally had. All of this rests on the measurements of the Odac. We're always back to the performance of the Odac.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,528 of 5,671
  I agree with you. But I also bought an Odac because I knew it measured better (instead of only as a peace of mind deal). The improvements, whether audible or not, exist. And that makes me happy. It's not wholly rational but I openly acknowledge that.

Also, in order for the Odac to provide a peace of mind, it ought to have better sound quality than whatever a personally originally had. All of this rests on the measurements of the Odac. We're always back to the performance of the Odac.

Well put. I think most ODAC adopters will agree with you!

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,529 of 5,671
  I am considering to pull the trigger on this combo. I got an issue though: I spend most of my time both sides of the pond (110 volts vs 220 volts) so can I use it in the EU if I buy the 110 V version in the US?

Would it be just enough to get both a 110V and 220V AC transformers?

The AC power supply for O2 contains an old fashioned transformer and thus is either for 110V or 220V. It has to be like this due to the way the O2 power supply works (two way rectifier) - DC switching power supplies don't care about input voltage but won't work with O2 or even break stuff.

So either get two O2 wall warts or a 220V to 110V transformer - whatever is cheaper and/or lighter.

Joachim

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,530 of 5,671

The AC power supply for O2 contains an old fashioned transformer and thus is either for 110V or 220V. It has to be like this due to the way the O2 power supply works (two way rectifier) - DC switching power supplies don't care about input voltage but won't work with O2 or even break stuff.

So either get two O2 wall warts or a 220V to 110V transformer - whatever is cheaper and/or lighter.

Joachim

Gotcha! Thank You.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #3,531 of 5,671
The ODAC provides a certain level of confidence to me... it measures well, it allows good sound to come forth... and its really inexpensive.

I have done lots of AB blind testing and with several other dacs I have there is no way I can really reliably tell any audible difference.... some of these dacs cost a lot more than the odac.

Alex

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,532 of 5,671
Thank you all for your answers. I also wanted to ask.  Is it best to buy, The combo amp + odac in one unit or two units seperate and chain them together? The price ios really not that much different.  What are the pro's and cons of each.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,533 of 5,671
  Thank you all for your answers. I also wanted to ask.  Is it best to buy, The combo amp + odac in one unit or two units seperate and chain them together? The price ios really not that much different.  What are the pro's and cons of each.

both in one box has no battery. that's pretty much it. so if you see a possible use as portable or lost in the desert go for it in 2 pieces.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3,534 of 5,671
The sound quality should be better, but probably not audibly better. It measures better as a whole. If not, what the hell is the point of the Odac?

Okay, so it measures better, but audibly you probably won't hear a difference, as Tomshardware already showed. That's why I said, if you like the DSP that a sound card provides, then you might not want to get an odac. The sound card will still sound great plus you will get the DSP.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,535 of 5,671
The O2 and follow on ODAC was an experiment to design with low cost components designed very well that could produce world class performance and measurements to prove a point.

They are indeed highly successful.

That's the point... with these you know you will get really great performance with little or no interaction or additions to the source material for a decent cost.

Enjoy

Alex

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,536 of 5,671
I also like the karma effect of using an essentially open-source device.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #3,538 of 5,671
I agree! I always like going with the open source, both in hardware and software. :beerchug:

Interesting to categorize it as open source. The design certainly didn't get kicked off for capitalistic reasons. Hmm, I wonder if the DAC algorithm might be running on top of Linux...jk. :thumbsup:

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,539 of 5,671
I don't think genuine value for money happens very often in the tech world, certainly not without poor people in some far off land being shafted by big corporations. The O2 also enables the owner to find exactly the right pair of headphones pretty quickly because that word 'synergy' never really gets used here. I read some of the other amp threads and people tie themselves in knots compensating for bad characteristics with yet more, opposite, traits. Stuff that!

:)

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,540 of 5,671
anybody creating something and giving it away is demi-god to me(the mum giving fresh baked stuff to the neighborhood, included). I love internet for that, you always find a guy ready to waste 20mn of his life to help a noob like me, with zero benefits for his own life. and sometimes, you get a guy creating an amp from scratch simply to demonstrate an idea. because "words are wind" and "you know nothing john snow".
whatever nwavguy did, he surely deserved a little more love and a little less of the vendetta that went and still goes against him.

The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
Call the schoolmaster!

also thanks to people like J Seaber and the few others who jumped into the adventure to provide a ready made solution to our solderingly inapt selves.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back