O2 AMP + ODAC
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #3,513 of 5,671
I agree there, I was wondering if by accident or oversight the amp was left on and music was playing and the volume control was turned up all the way etc

Sounds not likely, but stranger things do happen.

The good news here is if you take a look at what AGDR has done with his booster board for the O2, ($30-$50) project this can be avoided pretty much.

The booster board details are over at diyaudio as well.

Alex

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,514 of 5,671
  I agree there, I was wondering if by accident or oversight the amp was left on and music was playing and the volume control was turned up all the way etc

Sounds not likely, but stranger things do happen.

The good news here is if you take a look at what AGDR has done with his booster board for the O2, ($30-$50) project this can be avoided pretty much.

The booster board details are over at diyaudio as well.

Alex

If memory serves me right. AGDR mentioned that the original opamp, in the BOM for making the O2, starts getting hot once it nears 15V. With that in mind a single voltage spike would have easily done some damage. One of the optional booster board mods did include replacing one of the remaining opamps on the O2 board, so that the full 15V could be used.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,515 of 5,671
One voltage spike would not do this IMO, the chip has to get "hot" enough to split open ...it has to happen over a small period time, probably 10-30 min in my best guess.....

Alex

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,516 of 5,671
  One voltage spike would not do this IMO, the chip has to get "hot" enough to split open ...it has to happen over a small period time, probably 10-30 min in my best guess.....

Alex

This or a massive overvoltage... thunderstorm anybody? Although this probably would have fried a lot of other stuff too.

Joachim

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #3,518 of 5,671
Is there any benefit from ordering the OW or the O2+ODAC from any one place compared to another?

I have heard of Mayflower and JDS so far.  I am in the states. 

Also I have a Asus Xonar DX, is the DAC on this any better in terms of sound quality?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,520 of 5,671
  Is there any benefit from ordering the OW or the O2+ODAC from any one place compared to another?

Also I have a Asus Xonar DX, is the DAC on this any better in terms of sound quality?

Lolno. A sound card will not be better than Odac in sound quality. The question is whether you are capable of hearing a difference. That's a different matter. But at least you'll know it's better.

JDS tends to cost more, but allows for custom engravings. Mayflower is cheaper. The differences between the two vendors aren't really that big. You might just decide to go for whichever version looks cooler to you. (They look pretty different on the enclosure side.)

In terms of sound quality and all that jazz, no, they should be the same. It's based on the same schematics. I've have a good experience with Mayflower's customer service, but I also heard good things about JDS customer support. Mayflower is slowly working on releasing the ODA for sale, but that's not really O2.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3,521 of 5,671

I had a xonar dx and then bought an ODAC, the difference is small, the ODAC is more neutral than the Xonar DX.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #3,522 of 5,671
  I had a xonar dx and then bought an ODAC, the difference is small, the ODAC is more neutral than the Xonar DX.

At volume matched and all DSP's option off it sounded the same to me . Also Xonar DX output voltage is slightly lower than ODAC , 1.95V for my former DX and 2.03v on my ODAC (Multimeter) .

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,523 of 5,671
I am considering to pull the trigger on this combo. I got an issue though: I spend most of my time both sides of the pond (110 volts vs 220 volts) so can I use it in the EU if I buy the 110 V version in the US?

Would it be just enough to get both a 110V and 220V AC transformers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back