O2 AMP + ODAC
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #3,391 of 5,671
You're almost there my friend. The 02 neither adds nor subtracts anything to/from the signal. Buy headphones that you know gave a sound you will love and the O2 will allow them to go there. It really is that simple.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,392 of 5,671
I have an O2 built by Head'n'Hifi and it's the model with stereo RCA outputs. Can I connect this to a stereo I terraced amplifier? Will it pass through the signal without needing to be switched on?

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3,393 of 5,671
Is it an Odac/O2 or just an O2? On the combo, typically the RCA outputs are line level outs from the DAC - not amped, or modified by the volume pot - so you can connect them to your stereo like any other input. 

I don't know the implementation that Head'n'Hifi uses though. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,394 of 5,671
That's how I figured it worked with the combo but I've got separate amp & DAC units. The DAC is connected to the O2 with RCA's and then there's the RCA output on the amp. I suspect it's only useful for active speakers or power amps and not for integrated amps.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,395 of 5,671
That's how I figured it worked with the combo but I've got separate amp & DAC units. The DAC is connected to the O2 with RCA's and then there's the RCA output on the amp. I suspect it's only useful for active speakers or power amps and not for integrated amps.

I'd just get an RCA splitter from the DAC. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #3,398 of 5,671
  O2 + ODAC question - is the O2 supposed to select between analog and ODAC when a 1/8" input is put into the front input connector?

It uses the DAC if USB is plugged in.  In that case, the 1/8" input is now an 1/8" line out from the DAC.

I wish there were a switch to toggle instead, so you wouldn't have to pull the USB cable to use an analog source.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,399 of 5,671
  It uses the DAC if USB is plugged in.  In that case, the 1/8" input is now an 1/8" line out from the DAC.

I wish there were a switch to toggle instead, so you wouldn't have to pull the USB cable to use an analog source.

Actually the original O2 & ODAC instructions wired the input jack exactly as you described - when you put sth in there, it overrides the ODAC as input. Some suppliers did change this though...
If you can solder, it shouldn't be too difficult to hook it up according to the original instructions on the designer's blog.

Joachim

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3,400 of 5,671

O2 + ODAC question - is the O2 supposed to select between analog and ODAC when a 1/8" input is put into the front input connector?

that's how mine (JDS lab) works. and I became aware of it maybe 6months after I had the odac/o2 ^_^. I think I even complained somewhere that I wished I could use the odac alone and should have bought it in 2 boxes
rolleyes.gif
silly detail, but the odac being usb powered, we don't have to turn the O2 ON to use it as a standalone DAC. I also realized that very late so I mention it for others :wink:.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,401 of 5,671
Hey guys, I was thinking of making a custom o2/ odac. I was thinking of placing it in a larger enclosure and making it rear powered. I wanted to internally run the headphone out to a 2 way switch, one side going to a 1/4 headphone jack and the other going to a set of rca jacks in the rear. I figure this would allow me to easily switch between dac/preamp to my speakers (with unity gain) and headphone amp.

What do you guys think? Would this work? Also, would I experience a loss of performance/measurements?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,402 of 5,671
Yes it will work. I do not see how it could affect performance in any way.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,403 of 5,671

that's how mine (JDS lab) works. and I became aware of it maybe 6months after I had the odac/o2 ^_^. I think I even complained somewhere that I wished I could use the odac alone and should have bought it in 2 boxes
rolleyes.gif
silly detail, but the odac being usb powered, we don't have to turn the O2 ON to use it as a standalone DAC. I also realized that very late so I mention it for others :wink:.

The friend who assembled my diy O2+ODAC mentioned it to me when he gave me my current setup. I still think this design is fine, since I can use the O2 as a standalone amp and the ODAC as a standalone dac without a power adapter. I don't use these at the office or anywhere else at all, so I think this is as mobile as I'll ever gonna need.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,404 of 5,671
  Hey guys, I was thinking of making a custom o2/ odac. I was thinking of placing it in a larger enclosure and making it rear powered. I wanted to internally run the headphone out to a 2 way switch, one side going to a 1/4 headphone jack and the other going to a set of rca jacks in the rear. I figure this would allow me to easily switch between dac/preamp to my speakers (with unity gain) and headphone amp.

What do you guys think? Would this work? Also, would I experience a loss of performance/measurements?

I got my O2/ODAC from JDS Labs with all those features you mentioned including 1/4 headphone jack, rear power input, rear RCA and custom gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back