O2 AMP + ODAC
Aug 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #3,407 of 5,671
Thanks, I'll post a few pictures.  I believe that I have it wired so that it is supposed to cut the signal out when an input is plugged in, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Btw, is it a mechanical switch?  i.e. the presence of a plug in the jack should cut out the ODAC signal?

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,408 of 5,671
  Thanks, I'll post a few pictures.  I believe that I have it wired so that it is supposed to cut the signal out when an input is plugged in, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Btw, is it a mechanical switch?  i.e. the presence of a plug in the jack should cut out the ODAC signal?

Yes, the input jack from the O2 parts list has a switch and will either ground the input of the O2 when no plug is in (for O2 standalone) or connect ODAC to the input w/o plug (ODAC/O2 combo). You can get the instructions for this if you google for odac may update - we aren't allowed to post the links here due to some unfortunate events of the past.

Joachim

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,409 of 5,671

that's how mine (JDS lab) works. and I became aware of it maybe 6months after I had the odac/o2 ^_^. I think I even complained somewhere that I wished I could use the odac alone and should have bought it in 2 boxes
rolleyes.gif
silly detail, but the odac being usb powered, we don't have to turn the O2 ON to use it as a standalone DAC. I also realized that very late so I mention it for others :wink:.

Same here, except for me it was more like over a year until I figured out the front input of the O2+ODAC functions as a line out for the ODAC too.

I was considering buying a standalone ODAC for the longest time until i figured that out.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,410 of 5,671
O2 left channel died, bye guys have fun with your hifi endeavors!

I'll be using the ODAC with the Dared MP5 if the dealer confirms the deal :D

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #3,411 of 5,671

does your guys o2 amp when you turn the volume knob, hear some like static noise on the right channel? only when turning the volume dial up and down.

I am thinking about getting an amp from woo audio. does it blow the o2 out of water or into the water?

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3,412 of 5,671

does your guys o2 amp when you turn the volume knob, hear some like static noise on the right channel? only when turning the volume dial up and down.

I am thinking about getting an amp from woo audio. does it blow the o2 out of water or into the water?

If you're talking about the Woo Audio 7, then yes it's better than the O2.

I don't hear any static when turning the volume knob with the O2.

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #3,413 of 5,671
"Better" or more to your liking ? Because beside output power , in technical aspect the O² will have the upper hand .

Prices don't mean anything in audio ...

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #3,414 of 5,671

do a few min-max-min full range movements with the knob, it's usually enough to move the dust away from the path.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3,415 of 5,671
I am thinking about stax 507 with GES. Or get a hd800 with the 7.

If you're talking about the Woo Audio 7, then yes it's better than the O2.

I don't hear any static when turning the volume knob with the O2.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #3,416 of 5,671
Dust? I am talking about I can hear something in the headphone on right side when adjusting volume.

But I will try that too.

I remember there is something about cutting a jumper on the circuit board has to do with the impedance? Right now if I press the boost button I hear distortion at moderate volume on some songs with all my low impedance headphones. Normal?

do a few min-max-min full range movements with the knob, it's usually enough to move the dust away from the path.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,417 of 5,671
Dust? I am talking about I can hear something in the headphone on right side when adjusting volume.

But I will try that too.

I remember there is something about cutting a jumper on the circuit board has to do with the impedance? Right now if I press the boost button I hear distortion at moderate volume on some songs with all my low impedance headphones. Normal?

the knob is just a contact sliding on a surface when you change volume level. so some parts can get dirty and alter the connection, making those noise only when you turn it. if it's only dust it will move away at some point solving the problem. if it's some kind of oxidation or some wear off of the resistive surface you might not be so lucky.

about the gain(unrealated), it can be changed, but do you need the higher gain to listen to your headphones? low gain is better unless you need to go louder obviously.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,418 of 5,671
the knob is just a contact sliding on a surface when you change volume level. so some parts can get dirty and alter the connection, making those noise only when you turn it. if it's only dust it will move away at some point solving the problem. if it's some kind of oxidation or some wear off of the resistive surface you might not be so lucky.

about the gain(unrealated), it can be changed, but do you need the higher gain to listen to your headphones? low gain is better unless you need to go louder obviously.

+1. 

Muscleking, check out post #3332 (link pasted below) and those around it...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/3330#post_10794974

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,420 of 5,671
O2+ODAC vs Creative Titanium HD sound card + external O2 amp. Which of them will be the best in sound quality?

Sound quality wise I think they would both be excellent. It really depends on what you want. If you want the DSP that Titanium HD provides, then get it. If you don't want the DSP, then get the ODAC. One reason a lot of people get the TItanium HD is the CMSS 3D virtual surround which a lot of people agree is the best out there. However, if you don't play games where CMSS 3D can be used then what's the point? Just remember that the ODAC only provides transparent sound. What you play is what you get. You don't get any DSP whatsoever. So if you're a sucker for Creative's crystallizer and bass boost then don't get the ODAC.

If you want DSP then also take a look at creatives new Z lineup. It's a newer generation, and while it won't give you CMSS 3D, it will give you TruStudio Pro which is almost as good.

EDIT: Just to clarify on any bias I might have: I looked into a lot of options before I got my ODAC/O2. It's funny, I kind of came full circle. I started out watching TekSyndicates youtube rant on soundcards and how useless they are. It sounded logical so initially I thought he was right and I would just get the ODAC/O2. But then I researched further and read refutations of his video on overclock.net. Then I looked into getting a Titanium HD or Creative Z card after watching comparisons between different virtual surround sound DSP on youtube (CMSS 3D sounds the best imo). However, I then read about all the different problems people were having with Creative drivers and faulty products. Also many new games include their own virtual surround in the form of FMOD so you can just use the headphone setting. Also there is Razer surround which works with the ODAC/O2 and doesn't sound bad at all. So anyway I ended up looking into the ODAC/O2 again (lol) and after researching further ended up getting it. I figure for music if I want DSP I can just use the EQ in foobar (I got tired of creative's crystallizer a few months ago). For movies LAV audio filters provide a great surround sound to stereo demuxer which I use. Finally if I want virtual surround in games I can just use Razer surround. I am okay with not getting top of the line CMSS 3D, plus again most newish games are moving to their own sound systems, such as FMOD.

So in a weird way I started out liking teksyndicates video, then hated it, and then in the end I kind of came to the same conclusion as him (on my own), lol. That said his video is still filled with mistakes and flaws, e.g. he completely ignores the DSP that sound cards provide, which is kinda the main reason for getting them at least from a gaming perspective.

EDIT 2: Oh one more very important thing; if you get the Titanium HD or a Creative Z, don't get the O2. The soundcards already have amps built in so you will essentially be double amping. You should decide between ODAC/O2 vs sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back