[Novice] Seeking advice re: Denon AH-D2000 to D7000 upgrade + amp/DAC pairing
Sep 11, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DaftMonk

New Head-Fier
Hi all, relative newb here. I've owned a pair of D2Ks for just under three years now. I had them running un-amped for a time, sourced primarily from a MacBook Pro, and eventually decided to purchase an iBasso D2+ Boa in 2009.

I've been using and very much enjoying this combination ever since. However, as I've continued my journey through the world of audiophilia and had different listening experiences with other headphones, I've become increasingly aware of the weaknesses in my current set-up (stemming primarily from the D2+, as nice as it is).

So, with help from a decent-paying summer job, I'm now looking to invest in a new amp/DAC, upgrade to Denon's flagship D7K, and pass on the D2K to a grateful sibling.

I have a few resulting questions for the Head-Fi community:

Quote:
1. What is the best amp/DAC pairing for the D7Ks, under $350?

My bias so far tells me to choose a solid state, but I'm very willing to begin an investigation into the world of tube amps. A degree of portability is preferred, as I move between two homes regularly.

Quote:
2. I live in Canada - where is the best place to order a pair of D7Ks?

I regularly see the price of $695/$699, but only for buyers based in the US. Is there any way for a Canadian to get this price?

Thanks for any and all help! You guys inspire me, and I'm very grateful for your input.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 8
What weaknesses are you noticing from the setup?  Also, if you don't live with a roommate or in a dorm/apartment/close proximity to another person, you might start looking into speakers.  The general consensus is that D2 to D5 to D7 are only subtle upgrades.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I like solid state, and had two good rigs:

A Cambridge Audio DacMagic and a Dynalo solid state amp built by MisterX.  The Dynalo is the DIY circuit that the Headamp Gilmore Light was based from.  They show up on occasion under $200.

A Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp with Desktop Power Supply - Expensive, a match made in heaven to me.

If I was building a desktop set up now, I'd look at a MisterX built Gamma2 dac, and whatever uncolored DIY or used solid state I could find - the M^3 comes to mind.

I currently use a CEntrance DacPort, which is a very portable USB DAC/Amp - I suspect it might pair really well wit the D7000 as well.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
What weaknesses are you noticing from the setup?  Also, if you don't live with a roommate or in a dorm/apartment/close proximity to another person, you might start looking into speakers.  The general consensus is that D2 to D5 to D7 are only subtle upgrades.

Unfortunately I do live with roommates, otherwise I probably would be looking into speakers. The weaknesses I've been noticing aren't that bad, and are mainly based on personal taste in comparison to other amps I've had the pleasure of listening to (Millet "Starving Student" hybrid, a GD Compass which I'm still considering, and even an Apogee Duet). The D2+ doesn't give me as impressive a soundstage as some others have. Detail is good but not as good as I'd like, especially in the midrange. Highs can be a little too crisp and therefore have a somewhat inadequate integration into the whole range. I guess I'm looking for more balance and transparency, while retaining that signature "fun" Denon sound. Am I asking for too much from an under-$300 amp/DAC?

I'll be giving the D2+ a chance with the D7Ks, as I still very much enjoy it. The amp/DAC purchase will likely come after the phone purchase; right now I'm curious what other audiophiles recommend in terms of the criteria I've set out.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I like solid state, and had two good rigs:

A Cambridge Audio DacMagic and a Dynalo solid state amp built by MisterX.  The Dynalo is the DIY circuit that the Headamp Gilmore Light was based from.  They show up on occasion under $200.

A Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp with Desktop Power Supply - Expensive, a match made in heaven to me.

If I was building a desktop set up now, I'd look at a MisterX built Gamma2 dac, and whatever uncolored DIY or used solid state I could find - the M^3 comes to mind.

I currently use a CEntrance DacPort, which is a very portable USB DAC/Amp - I suspect it might pair really well wit the D7000 as well.

In terms of fitting in with my current setup/portability, the DACport looks absolutely perfect. Just a tiny bit over my budget, but I'm adding this to my list. Thanks very much.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 8
I use the FiiO E7/E9 combo and it works great for less than $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back