Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Jun 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #856 of 6,459
Here you go folks, as promised : pics
wink.gif

PS:
The sleeve color is not really that nice in the pics as in reality.
I just used my auto focus p/s w/o white balance and handheld.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #858 of 6,459
I just ordered the Vanquish cables for my Alpha Dog. Maybe my AD will be one of the first of it's kind? 

**NEW** Vanquish Series OCC Litz 7-core, modified Type 6 Headphone Cable (first ever produced in industry) 
  - Length: 6 ft. 
  - Headphone Type: Alpha Dog 
  - Sleeve Color: Bare (no sleeve) 
  - Termination: Furutech FT-763 1/4 (Rhodium plated)
  - Exotic Wood Splitter Type (not required): Zebrano (engraved)

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #859 of 6,459
  Here you go folks, as promised : pics
wink.gif

PS:
The sleeve color is not really that nice in the pics as in reality.
I just used my auto focus p/s w/o white balance and handheld.

That looks great! Was thinking of ordering the Vanquish series for my HD800 as well but it appears that there is no adapter option for the Vanquish series :frowning2:

Just curious, was the cable itself heavy as it looks much lighter and compact compared to the earlier Draug series

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #860 of 6,459
  That looks great! Was thinking of ordering the Vanquish series for my HD800 as well but it appears that there is no adapter option for the Vanquish series :frowning2:

Just curious, was the cable itself heavy as it looks much lighter and compact compared to the earlier Draug series

As described above, I have a Skoll adapter dual XLR to SE (which you can't tell apart visually, see pics above) and I am sure Trevor will get you any adapter or plug configuration you'll need. Just get in touch with him and discuss if you don't find it on the website. I wanted the regular Furutech XX and not the heavy duty "outdoor version" and Trevor got them for me.

As for the weight: I didn't put the cable on a balance but it is surprisingly light and more flexible than the HD800 stock cable due to the braided design. The stock cable always has a bit a mind of it's own.

The Vanquish is absolutely comfortable, no matter if you sit upright, laid back or fully lay down to immerse your self in the music. The cable gets out of your way mechanically and sonically.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #861 of 6,459
  ....it appears that there is no adapter option for the Vanquish series :frowning2:

Vanquish adapters have not been added to the site yet as currently they are only available with the headphone cable (or post). 
Will probably add a selection menu for adapters on the page soon.  In order to get one right now you would just need to send an email request with your desired specs. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #862 of 6,459

Vanquish adapters have not been added to the site yet as currently they are only available with the headphone cable (or post). 
Will probably add a selection menu for adapters on the page soon.  In order to get one right now you would just need to send an email request with your desired specs. 

Thanks for the update, will definitely contact sometime soon. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #863 of 6,459
A very happy Norne first time customer response,

I ordered a pair of Reigne cables for Audeze LCD-3 balanced, balanced to speaker out and balanced to 1/4 plug adapters. 

Having no prior experience with Norne, The order was totally based on feedback on this forum.

There could have been any number of positive or negative outcomes.  I asked for the best cable for the LCD-3 with either a Schiit Moljir or Luxman L-705u amp.  In the end we settled on the Reigne series for each of the cables with Abattron Xlr and Oyaide mini connectors.

The results where beyond expectation.  First a credit to my paypal account for shipping later than their ship date.  Nothing to do with my resquested delivery date.  Entirely internal.  All of the items were delivered on time.  All packaged impeccably.  Everything beyond reproach.

So for the most important judgment. the sound,  I;ve only listened for one week..  So far the Norne outperformes the Moon Silver;  To be fair, it is not possible to evaluate the cables with less than 100 hours of burn in.

I will return with an evaluation for each cable and amp when burn in is complete;

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #864 of 6,459
Welcome to head-fi msiklvr,
exact same experience here in regards to Trevor's service. Apart from the sq of my Norne Vanquish, it also seems to be a great value. The length I needed (14 ft) would have cost me an arm and a leg from the usual suspects. Trevor answered a LOT of questions very patiently before I made my final decision. Others advertise some sound "improving" (e.g. more bass/less sibilance) with their cables. I didn't have any issues with the sound of my set up, nothing to rectify. I just wanted the best signal transmission w/o any changes other than more details and consequently more sound stage and an even more realistic live feeling. And I wanted to go balanced for the incoming head amp. I was coming from the stock HD800 cable and have not experimented with any other cables - and won't be in the future
biggrin.gif

I have listened to this 1959 recording yesterday :
51Jdlew8WyL._SY300_.jpg

A reissue from a Spanish label: FreshSound Records.
They claim 24 bit remaster but source : LP !
So I am not sure if they actually played the vinyl and used a 24bit A/D as basis for the mastering. I couldn't find any further info.
Anyway this 65 year old recording sounds phenomenal (redbook CD >exasound e20 > Norne Vanquish > HD800).
All acoustic instruments: percussion, drums, piano, flute. The sound stage and separation of instruments is audiophile bliss.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #865 of 6,459
The ExaSound e20 is an awesome DAC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #866 of 6,459
I don't normally post about any cables I own, because I don't want to be seen as favouring any particular maker (I own cables from a bunch of different people), but I wanted to share a bit of lateral thinking on my part that resulted in something pretty cool. 

For a while I've been buying headphones cables terminated with a 4-pin mini-XLR along with 3-4 "tails" which connected that to TRS, balanced, 3.5mm or now the AK240. Most cable makers either do, or can do the same thing. They allows me to adapt headphones to different devices quickly without having to buy a bunch of full-length cables. With IEMs though, I though the easiest thing to do would be to terminate them for the AK240 and get "tails" adapting that to whatever. So I asked Trevor about his new IEM cable and whether he could set things up that way, with the tails/adaptors as short as possible. What he came up with is what you now see in AK240 adaptors section at the top of his site. I think he succeeded in the "short as possible" bit. Those adaptors in the photos are mine AFAIK.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #867 of 6,459
A HD 800 cable comparison: http://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #870 of 6,459

Users who are viewing this thread

Back