Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
May 9, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,426 of 6,466
@cute
It would depend on your amp and headphone type. I see you have HE-560's and I can tell you the Zoetic cable has improved the distinguished textures of low end and mid bass. As if you can individually pick out the details in the low end with no muddiness whatsoever. 

May 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,427 of 6,466
Bimmer.. How would you characterize the HE-560's treble with the Zoetic cable (vs the stock cable)? Specifically, how was resolution and transparency through the upper mids and treble?

May 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,428 of 6,466
Bimmer.. How would you characterize the HE-560's treble with the Zoetic cable (vs the stock cable)? Specifically, how was resolution and transparency through the upper mids and treble?

FlySweep,

I'm not sure where you are located in washington, But I live in bothell area, almost kirkland. You're welcome to check out the Zoetic cable yourself if you would like. I would be happy to demo the cable for you on my NFB-28 2015 edition dac/amp. 

but if you're not close by, my best recommendation is that if you get the Zoetic cable, you'll more than likely be more than satisfied with the pure sound and transparency you'd expect from a cable in the price range. I was expecting a lot from this cable before I purchased it. And when I actually received the cable and tested it I was completely satisfied and impressed with the full range and sound stage. I explained to Trevor that my main differences I noticed when comparing this to the stock Single Crystal Copper and Single Crystal Silver HE-560 cable was the following, but first I must say the stock cable is NOT bad, it's fairly good for a stock cable. I personally thought the stock cable has a bit of sibilance and the HE-560's seemed a little harsh on the higher frequencies. The Zoetic cable provides very very detailed textured bass. I would be able to distinguish each tone with ultimate clarity with zero muddiness or bleed into the mids. The high end was completely cleaned up with no more sibilance and harshness that I had heard with the stock cable. Lets just say I'm very happy with this cable and I have another one on order for another pair of headphones. Lastly I will be ordering my fiance a pair of Oppo PM3's with a zoetic cable. I would say that the Zoetic cable is the absolute best resolution of any copper cable out on the market today and is equal to and better than most silver cables as well. The construction of these cable is very unique in comparison to most cables. 

I see you have a pair of HE-560's and are likely very familiar with them. I'm curious what Amp/DAC you're using? Is it the GeekOut450??? 

I am real interested to know more about the Supra II's you have. I've had those on my radar for a while. My current IEM's I use mostly for critical listening are the Fidue A83's. I'm looking for another universal like it but with more comfort and fitment. 

To cut it short, if you are using the stock cable and are serious about getting a new cable for your HE-560's... the Zoetic is an excellent choice that will pair perfectly together. These headphones deserve a cable that can bring out the best in them.  I would be very surprised if you're not impressed with everything the cable has to offer, and the sound resolution/transparency/clarity is commensurate to it's comfort, quality, fit/finish. 

May 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,430 of 6,466
Hi how would you compare the zoetic cable and the solv x? Would the silver in solv x improve resolution and soundstage?

If you read back on this thread you will see someone else comment about the zoetic cable sounding just as good as the solv-x.
Persobally I believe it makes a difference what amp and what headphones you pair with to achieve this soundstage and resolution you are looking for. You can't go wrong with either of those cables! I personally prefer the zoetic for some of its extremely unique features that few to no other cable has. The flexibility and lightweight design you will find to be impressive and then you will listen to it and wonder why all your headphones are not wired for norne.
To sum it up, between the cables that Trevor offers, they all are so darn good it's hard to choose. Pick one and you made a good choice! They all are an improvement and you won't regret your purchase.

May 15, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,431 of 6,466
If you read back on this thread you will see someone else comment about the zoetic cable sounding just as good as the solv-x.
Persobally I believe it makes a difference what amp and what headphones you pair with to achieve this soundstage and resolution you are looking for. You can't go wrong with either of those cables! I personally prefer the zoetic for some of its extremely unique features that few to no other cable has. The flexibility and lightweight design you will find to be impressive and then you will listen to it and wonder why all your headphones are not wired for norne.
To sum it up, between the cables that Trevor offers, they all are so darn good it's hard to choose. Pick one and you made a good choice! They all are an improvement and you won't regret your purchase.

Just ordered the Zoetic cable for an Audeze EL-8 open - can't wait to hear how the these cans sound with the new cable.  Opted to go with the Zoetic cable rather than the Solv X as the EL-8 has good detail and separation with the stock cable.

May 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,432 of 6,466

My 2nd Norne cable, the Solv X hybrid designed for the LCD-2 and LCD-3, this is the Fazor version of the LCD-3 via AK100ll balanced>ALO Audio MK3B+
The balanced cable opens up the sound, I would use the analogy of going from a two lane road (conventional) to a 4 lane road (balanced), the cable quality is going from a gravel road to a paved interstate.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,433 of 6,466
Anyone have any experience if Draug 2 or Solv X would be better for a balanced output Sennheiser HD700?
Also since Noren Audio doesn't make digital cable (aka. usb cable), any recommendation of a to b usb cable of similar price and quality? (sorry for a bit off topic)

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,435 of 6,466
  Anyone have any experience if Draug 2 or Solv X would be better for a balanced output Sennheiser HD700?
Also since Noren Audio doesn't make digital cable (aka. usb cable), any recommendation of a to b usb cable of similar price and quality? (sorry for a bit off topic)

Thanks.

between those two cables you mentioned. I would opt for the Solv X. thats my opinion. Definitely paired with the Sennheiser HD700 or 800 would be most ideal.

and for a cost effective A/B USB cable. Get the Pangea usb cable. don't bother with a pure silver USB. it's digital, so you likely will not hear any difference. A good shielded cable is most important. check this out. I've got 4 of them for my misc DACS. And own a Schiit Wyrd too..

try to keep it under 2meters. longer cables will possibly get interference if they are not high quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-PCOCC-silver/dp/B005AWYC9I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433617576&sr=1-2&keywords=pangea+USB

I've got a 1, 1.5 and two 2 meter USB a/b pangea cables.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,436 of 6,466

Thanks.

I would go with the Draug 2 myself. But I don't like bright cans and I think this cable would tame the highs a bit.

Actually I would go with Vanquish cables myself.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,437 of 6,466
  between those two cables you mentioned. I would opt for the Solv X. thats my opinion. Definitely paired with the Sennheiser HD700 or 800 would be most ideal.

and for a cost effective A/B USB cable. Get the Pangea usb cable. don't bother with a pure silver USB. it's digital, so you likely will not hear any difference. A good shielded cable is most important. check this out. I've got 4 of them for my misc DACS. And own a Schiit Wyrd too..

try to keep it under 2meters. longer cables will possibly get interference if they are not high quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-PCOCC-silver/dp/B005AWYC9I/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433617576&sr=1-2&keywords=pangea+USB

I've got a 1, 1.5 and two 2 meter USB a/b pangea cables.

Thanks for the reply! 
Just curious about how to differentiate shielded and unshielded cable ? I have found several high grade cables (like Audio Quest) online that do not specifically stated that they're shielded, does it make a difference?

I would go with the Draug 2 myself. But I don't like bright cans and I think this cable would tame the highs a bit.

Actually I would go with Vanquish cables myself.

Thanks! So you suggested that the Draug would generally be warmer/darker sounding than the sliver Solv X? Definitely will consider that.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,438 of 6,466
Thanks for the reply! 
Just curious about how to differentiate shielded and unshielded cable ? I have found several high grade cables (like Audio Quest) online that do not specifically stated that they're shielded, does it make a difference?
It's likely that audio quest cables are shielded too, but I have tried a few audio quest cables and specifically had a huge problem with a USB cable from them. I had to return it due to jitter or errors in general that translated to gaps of audio play. I replaced it with a stock cable and it worked fine. When I got new gear I tried Pangea USB cables as they came highly recommended to me. They are very high quality for the money and if you compare specs between them and the best of USB cables, you will see how good of a deal they are. Pcocc silver plated 4% wire, shielded, high quality braided sleeve.
Basically recommending them as a high quality cable. I personally don't believe a lot of the hype behind digital cables being measurable differences in audible audio for the most part. Use a quality cable and be done with it. Keep the cost reasonable!

Thanks! So you suggested that the Draug would generally be warmer/darker sounding than the sliver Solv X? Definitely will consider that.

I would also ask what DAC you choose to pair with. As if it's a sabre dac, then toning down the highs would be ideal. Personally I love Norne's 7core Zoetic cable. Their newest line of cable. I have three Zoetic cables. One for my he-560, sennheiser, and oppo pm-3. It's about as good as a pure occ copper cable can get in my opinion. And the flexibility of the cable is unreal. No micro phonics. More importantly, it controls and tones down sibilance to be non-existent. I have a sabre 9018 dac from audio-gd that has an improved sound when using the zoetic cable. It is a very noticeable audible improvement. I would consider the Solv-x since it's pure silver. My experience is to either stay pure copper or pure silver. I have had a few cables that were silver plated copper and experienced a strange phenomena of increasing sibilance and overly brightening highs in general. Pure silver doesn't have this effect, nor does pure copper. And when I say pure, I mean occ. not OFC...

To make this even more direct. You really can't go wrong with any cable from Norne. They all are TOTL quality and each wire is chosen by Trevor to have passed his strict tests of quality control and stringent tests for sound characteristics and quality. If you check reviews on Norne in general. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative to say about anything ever made by Norne.

You DAC is an important roll in the choice of a cable. DAC, Headphones and then Cable. the right combination can likely fine the sound you are looking for.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,439 of 6,466

Just ordered the Zoetic cable for an Audeze EL-8 open - can't wait to hear how the these cans sound with the new cable.  Opted to go with the Zoetic cable rather than the Solv X as the EL-8 has good detail and separation with the stock cable.

Have you gotten the cable yet? Do you mind sharing some impressions? Thanks.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,440 of 6,466
  Have you gotten the cable yet? Do you mind sharing some impressions? Thanks.

Not yet...  I'll provide some feedback when I get the cable and have some time to burn it in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back