Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,136 of 6,459
I received my Solvine and wow! that cable looks like a sound pipeline! It is huge. For use with my LCD-X phones. Sounds awesome. I am amazed at the difference in bass delivery with this combination vs. the Therium cable with the LCDi4.
I was not expecting such a huge difference in sound signature at all. Plus the Hugo 2 drives the X MUCH LOUDER such that I have to turn down the volume on the X A LOT. So it sounds like I have some ultra-clean beautiful sounding speakers over my ears compared to the LCDi4. This is all fairly disturbing to me. I had thought I might swap out the Solvine for the Draug Silver and may yet do that but right now the Solvine with the X is incredible. Strange but I never remember the Toxic Widow silver cable I ran out of the Schiit Mjolnir amp with Gungnir dac having bass and mids like this... Which tended to be shifted considerably brighter all along IMHO. So that I was totally NOT expecting what I heard upon first connection to the X phones. Way better bass response with the H2 on these cans with Solvine than with the Therium on the LCDi4. And the i4 are no slouch whatsoever. Which leads to the "disturbing" part: I feel like I really prefer the X with Solvine over the much more expensive LCDi4 with the Therium Silver. So now wondering if I should try the Draug Silver since Trevor said I could just send the Solvine back and total purchase price would be applied to the Draug. What do yall think about this dilemma?

One thing for sure: The LCD-X phones with the Hugo 2 is just ridiculous. I am well and truly just blown away and the Solvine sounds so so sweet. So there's that... And O M G that sweet sweet bass on the X with Solvine and Hugo 2. Wow. With the same delicate airiness and clarity with wonderfully rendered detail. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by swapping out Solvine to Draug?

Edit: Listening critically it really seems this whole setup eerily replicates the LCD-3 (pre-fazor) I once owned and always kicked myself for selling. Sometimes it is necessary to just recognize that magic whether it is a special headphone, a classic old lens (Nikkor 85mm f1.4 comes to mind) or any one of those rare items that just work like nothing else. OK anyway I am just amazed at how the LCD-X, Solvine cable, and H2 work together. This is just magic.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,138 of 6,459
I received my Solvine and wow! that cable looks like a sound pipeline! It is huge. For use with my LCD-X phones. Sounds awesome. I am amazed at the difference in bass delivery with this combination vs. the Therium cable with the LCDi4.
I was not expecting such a huge difference in sound signature at all. Plus the Hugo 2 drives the X MUCH LOUDER such that I have to turn down the volume on the X A LOT. So it sounds like I have some ultra-clean beautiful sounding speakers over my ears compared to the LCDi4. This is all fairly disturbing to me. I had thought I might swap out the Solvine for the Draug Silver and may yet do that but right now the Solvine with the X is incredible. Strange but I never remember the Toxic Widow silver cable I ran out of the Schiit Mjolnir amp with Gungnir dac. Which tended to be shifted considerably brighter all along IMHO. So that I was totally NOT expecting what I heard upon first connection to the X phones. Way better bass response with the H2 on these cans with Solvine than with the Therium on the LCDi4. And the i4 are no slouch whatsoever. Which leads to the "disturbing" part: I feel like I really prefer the X with Solvine over the much more expensive LCDi4 with the Therium Silver. So now wondering if I should try the Draug Silver since Trevor said I could just send the Solvine back and total purchase price would be applied to the Draug. What do yall think about this dilemma?

One thing for sure: The LCD-X phones with the Hugo 2 is just ridiculous. I am well and truly just blown away and the Solvine sounds so so sweet. So there's that... And O M G that sweet sweet bass on the X with Solvine and Hugo 2. Wow. With the same delicate airiness and clarity with wonderfully rendered detail. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by swapping out Solvine to Draug?

Love Draug Silver on my Utopia but also plan to order a Solvine for my Eikon. I'm sure you cannot go wrong with either. Sounds like you're really happy w/ the Solvine!

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,139 of 6,459
Love Draug Silver on my Utopia but also plan to order a Solvine for my Eikon. I'm sure you cannot go wrong with either. Sounds like you're really happy w/ the Solvine!
The Solvine is entirely different for me coming from the Therium and Silvergarde. The sound is so full and rich with my Clears, and then the cymbals and high hat punch through that richness clear as day. I'd love to be able to compare the Draug Silver and Solvine with these HP's

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #3,140 of 6,459
I would love to audition the Draug Silver on the Hugo 2 / LCD-X to satisfy curiosity BUT pretty much reluctant to swap out the Solvine cable to do that. This combo is just tits. Really. So much so I am having a difficult time talking myself into sending it back for a Draug. Right now thinking I will just stay with Solvine and enjoy it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,141 of 6,459
As long as it’s not an amp with minimal power. I like my alo cdm but simply needs more power for my lcd2

Perhaps the new lyr3 if you were looking? Mind you i have never heard the lyr myself so no personal experience but i have been thinking about it

I’ll second this recommendation, while I haven’t heard my Lyr 3 with the LCD-2, I have with the LCD-3f and the Abyss, it’s a great match for planars. You only need to change one tube, and NOS Sylvanias punches way above its price point.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,142 of 6,459
Thanks for the ideas everyone. My current gameplan will be to email Norne for some cable advice and order one. If I'm still not happy I'll look into the Lyr for sure!
*EDIT*
Wow, Trevor sure responds fast. Isn't it the middle of the night up there? He picked out an older model Draug for me to try, can't wait for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,143 of 6,459
Any opinion on Solvine paired with ZMF Auteur? I'm thinking of getting Solvine or ZMF's own 2K cable, which is high strand count (2000+) pure copper, and not sure which way to go.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #3,144 of 6,459
Any opinion on Solvine paired with ZMF Auteur? I'm thinking of getting Solvine or ZMF's own 2K cable, which is high strand count (2000+) pure copper, and not sure which way to go.

I was in the same boat and personally went w/ Solvine over ZMF 2K for my Eikon, mainly because I'm so happy w/ the Draug Silver I had to go back to Trevor for another order!

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #3,145 of 6,459
anyone knows whats the current build times?

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #3,146 of 6,459
Can anyone please share the sound characteristics differences between Draug v3 and Draug Silver?

I’m using Focal Clear with Chord Hugo 2 and would like a resolving cable that doesn’t sound too bright or with the soundstage too wide because it gets tiring after listening for an hour.

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,147 of 6,459
Can anyone please share the sound characteristics differences between Draug v3 and Draug Silver?

I’m using Focal Clear with Chord Hugo 2 and would like a resolving cable that doesn’t sound too bright or with the soundstage too wide because it gets tiring after listening for an hour.

Thanks.

Draug v3 is an all copper cable so it has the limitations of copper. It's a very nice cable on its own don't get me wrong. The Draug Silver however is purely made of silver but contrary to what one might think it hasn't the harshness of an all silver cable. It lets through more air and micro detail than the copper one with a slightly bigger soundstage. Also the larger overall gauge adds the "flesh" that ordinary silver cables lack. By that I mean more density to the notes and a fuller and better defined bass.
I would go with the Solvine in your case. It's a silver/copper mix. Kind of a in-the-middle between copper and silver Draugs.
I hope it was useful :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,150 of 6,459
Don't forget to take into account that the cost of a Draug Silver is probably almost as much as a pair of Focal Clears :beyersmile:
Not even close, I had Trevor quote me a Draug Silver for my LCD-4's and Utopia's. For the design, sound quality you get the Draug Silver is way more than reasonable. I could get them both and still be under the price of the Clears :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back