Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #616 of 6,432

Quote:
I won't derail this thread any further.

beerchug.gif
Ha.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #620 of 6,432
i once had a pair of 20$ sony headphones. i think they were the mdr v150s and i let a friend who had the skullcandy lowrider headphones listen to my sony's and he got mad taht his skullcandies didnt sound as good even though he paid 55$ for the headphones. even worse he was on his 2nd pair in 3 months. i told him my sony headphones were 8 months old and he looked at me and said how much did you pay. i looked back and said 20$. he said they practically look new and sound good. the moral is skullcandy is over priced junk. they should have cost him 15$ but instead he paid well over 50$. its been a long time since then and now i never buy headphones for less then 100$ unless they have been proven to sound extremely good for the price. i for one will never ever buy skullcandies ever. or bose, or monster beats. my shures sound much better then those headphones and they were more reasonably priced at 129.99$ and are built to last unlike the bose skullcandy or monster beats.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #621 of 6,432
Waitwaitwait. I've never heard the lowriders, but I have a V150s around and I absolutely hated them to the point of them just being amp test phones. (Working, not working, or oops. Blew the drivers. That didn't work.) That's kinda embarrassing then.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #622 of 6,432

Quote:
Waitwaitwait. I've never heard the lowriders, but I have a V150s around and I absolutely hated them to the point of them just being amp test phones. (Working, not working, or oops. Blew the drivers. That didn't work.) That's kinda embarrassing then.

well it was either the v150s or the xd200s

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #623 of 6,432
smile.gif
Just a friendly note people: The discussion of politics on Head-fi isn't permitted.  Please do stick to the topic.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #625 of 6,432
How long does it take to become an audiophile?

I'm at the point where, comparing my iGrados to some random buds/cheapo IEMs, I can def. hear a difference in treble, bass, but I'm not sure about mids. Can also tell when something bright, dark, muddy, or clear.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #626 of 6,432

Quote:

I'm at the point where, comparing my iGrados to some random buds/cheapo IEMs, I can def. hear a difference in treble, bass, but I'm not sure about mids. Can also tell when something bright, dark, muddy, or clear.

Audio differences can be quite difficult to discern. Memory of audio events is short and often wrong. I have often been convinced I heard something that upon later tests was not there at all. I have to A/B headphones many many times to be sure of my conclusions. As you get more experience with more headphones, you will learn how to discern differences more quickly and be a better critical listener. But even the best audiophiles have to compare some equipment many times to tell a difference.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #627 of 6,432

I don't know how crude this is considered to be for a test, but I plugged a splitter into my iPod and fed some 320kbps tunes into two headphones or IEMs and kept switching them, and spent like 3 minutes switching them every 10 seconds or so.

Then again, I'm comparing $50 iGrados to like $5-10 iBuds and such.

However, if I had to compare them sessions apart, I don't think I could discern huge, huge differences.
 Quote:
Quote:

Audio differences can be quite difficult to discern. Memory of audio events is short and often wrong. I have often been convinced I heard something that upon later tests was not there at all. I have to A/B headphones many many times to be sure of my conclusions. As you get more experience with more headphones, you will learn how to discern differences more quickly and be a better critical listener. But even the best audiophiles have to compare some equipment many times to tell a difference.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #628 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:

True, for that reason alone I found some 'benchmark' headphones with special qualities so whenever I get another headphone the differences become more easy to discern. Get a good midcentric headphone with good extension to the lows and highs and you have your 'benchmark' headphone for mids. Get it in the right set up (source, DAC and amplification) and once you have gotten the 'most' out of it you can always use that set up (including the 'benchmark' headphone) to compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back