Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #586 of 6,432
I have a PK1 and a OK1. My friends can't tell the difference between the Sony Extra Bass buds after at least an hour of hearing. Not exactly can't tell the difference, but their words are like this "Ok, may it sounds a LITTLE better. Totally not worth $200. I'll save the $190."

I also let my friend try PK3s I had before and he was considering buying some ear buds. That audition made it clear for him to not buy it.

I have let a minimum of at least ten people try. I let them play with my Cowon S9 (awhile ago. I have J3 now) as much as they wanted.

I guess if you want great earbuds, Yuins are OK, but for the average person, it's not really that much difference. I know I can't justify the price to get an earbud anymore. I'm sticking to fullsize or IEM.

Quote:
@wind016...at least 5 co-workers purchased PK3 after I started this mess (journey).  

Just the first rung of the ladder- and one of those persons will not eat at a restaurant where they have to tip...

At minimum, the people I care about need PK3.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #587 of 6,432
Quote:
Sorry, just been thinking about this. I KNOW my hearing becomes less sensitive... I've actually been trying to cut back... I feel like music is a drug...

Quote:

Just take a pause...  Music can be a drug so sometimes you have to balance it out with whatever is important. I have days that I just do not listen to music. Good luck and happy new year...

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #588 of 6,432

Their are closed back headphones that have open back sound Like Some of Ultrasone's closed back headphones, I sure there a few other headphones that has open back sound as well.

Your friend just dont know no better if he thinks Dolby headphone adds sound stage, best thing to do is to Have him try your headphones on while gaming, I bet he will back to the store returning his G35 for your headphones.
Quote:
recently had a argument with a "friend" of mine, he recently bought a logitech G35 gaming headset and was bragging about the great soudstage he was getting from them (being able to camp and hear steps of other players coming along) if you search up the G35, you'll find that they're in fact closed headsets meaning soundstage is greatly diminished compared to other headphones of the open design (minus those who have limited soundstage even thought they're open), anywho, I tried to explain to him no amount of software can increase the soundstage to a level comparable to a open headphone (not all, but many that have great soundstage) and he goes on explaining to me how the phones I showed him (AD700, HD600) weren't comparable to the G35 because they didn't have a crystal clear mic...a pointless rebuttal to my argument...and then he goes on about how the G35's are superior because they aren't a "two piece phone"...what is this...swimsuit season? I go on explaining how many phones aren't designed to fold for portability so they're perfectly suitable for gaming. In the end, he starts questioning my experience with gaming...claiming I wouldn't know what is needed/preferred for gaming, sure, from years of casual gaming, i can already guess...either way, he already made up excuses to stand by those phones so i kinda just gave up on him. anywho, many problems with those phones for gaming, they're closed so the soundstage is smaller than many open phones, a pleather ear pad that goes around the ear can cause the ears to get very quickly, bass can get in the way of hearing more details (at first, he argued with me, saying they were a little bass light but that is all right, guess he expected me to want more bass) anywho lesson learned, leave non audioplhiles in there rut if they want to stay there

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #589 of 6,432
This is how I started:  trying to find headphones I saw in an airport...  

("No problem, I'll just search them later"...)  Well, I could not find them.

But, after buying the Alessandro MS-1i and the Head-Direct RE0 (both "Head-Fi approved")- I then returned the RE0s because I wanted more bass...

I bought some PK1 and PK3 earbuds instead.

Then I sold the PK3 to a co-worker because the PK1 were just a bit clearer (unamped).

He lent the PK3 out in the office and then the PK3 proliferated...four people purchased PK3 (based upon hearing PK3 or my PK1).

Now I may sell my PK1, but that is only because I am saving for custom iems.

But, something starts the the climb out of stock earphones...

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #590 of 6,432
Well, it seems when you get the audiophile bug - just like everything else, you want to share the best with your friends and family.  It's just that not everyone is engaged in a hopelessly failed attempt to be you.

When I got into beer (not in an alcoholic way), some of my friends could appreciate, say, a nice belgian dark like Delirium Tremens.  Most didn't.  They could certainly tell it was different, but they stuck to Budweiser (actually not a bad American Adjunct) or *shudder* Coors Light.  If they were going to stay with adjuncts, I'd try to steer them towards Pabst, as it's actually a really good version of the style (and cheap to boot!).

When I got into motorcycles, most of my friends and family thought that meant 'Harley'.  Of course, Harley's are the 'Dre Beats' of motorcycles - overpriced, unreliable, and mostly an image thing.  'Garage Jewelry' is a good term.  They're certainly more fun than an econobox, but you can get much better performance, fun, and value.  They do get the ladies revved up, though.  An hour or two on a hardtail, vibrating like a jackhammer....so, there's that.

Now it's the same with headphones only much, much more so.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #591 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, it seems when you get the audiophile bug - just like everything else, you want to share the best with your friends and family.  It's just that not everyone is engaged in a hopelessly failed attempt to be you.

When I got into beer (not in an alcoholic way), some of my friends could appreciate, say, a nice belgian dark like Delirium Tremens.  Most didn't.  They could certainly tell it was different, but they stuck to Budweiser (actually not a bad American Adjunct) or *shudder* Coors Light.  If they were going to stay with adjuncts, I'd try to steer them towards Pabst, as it's actually a really good version of the style (and cheap to boot!).

When I got into motorcycles, most of my friends and family thought that meant 'Harley'.  Of course, Harley's are the 'Dre Beats' of motorcycles - overpriced, unreliable, and mostly an image thing.  'Garage Jewelry' is a good term.  They're certainly more fun than an econobox, but you can get much better performance, fun, and value.  They do get the ladies revved up, though.  An hour or two on a hardtail, vibrating like a jackhammer....so, there's that.

Now it's the same with headphones only much, much more so.

so that's why harley mama's like there bikes so much...who'd have known...

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #592 of 6,432

Quote:
you'll find that they're in fact closed headsets meaning soundstage is greatly diminished compared to other headphones of the open design (minus those who have limited soundstage even thought they're open)

There are some closed headphones that would like a word with you.

Attempting to corrupt my girlfriend who's a total band geek tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #593 of 6,432
Haven't read the thread.

My colleague counts himself as "lucky" because he states his hearing is so bad he can't tell the difference. This, despite the fact that there's no real reason for this to be the case -- he doesn't shoot guns, go to loud concerts, listen to or play loud music, etc. He's perfectly content with the dreadful $3 Labtec headphones the company issues.

I do notice sounds that others don't, however. For instance, there's a squeaky printer or fax machine about 200 feet away from our area. Nobody else can even hear it (or so they say), but it grates on me every time it runs.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #594 of 6,432
Quote:
When I got into beer (not in an alcoholic way), some of my friends could appreciate, say, a nice belgian dark like Delirium Tremens.  Most didn't.  They could certainly tell it was different, but they stuck to Budweiser (actually not a bad American Adjunct) or *shudder* Coors Light.

When I got into motorcycles, most of my friends and family thought that meant 'Harley'.  Of course, Harley's are the 'Dre Beats' of motorcycles - overpriced, unreliable, and mostly an image thing.

Wow, as a beer enthusiast and a lifelong motorcyclist, I can say truer words were never posted.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #595 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
When I got into beer (not in an alcoholic way), some of my friends could appreciate, say, a nice belgian dark like Delirium Tremens.  Most didn't.  They could certainly tell it was different, but they stuck to Budweiser (actually not a bad American Adjunct) or *shudder* Coors Light.

When I got into motorcycles, most of my friends and family thought that meant 'Harley'.  Of course, Harley's are the 'Dre Beats' of motorcycles - overpriced, unreliable, and mostly an image thing.

Wow, as a beer enthusiast and a lifelong motorcyclist, I can say truer words were never posted.

What's your favorite beer style?

What do you ride?

/threadjack

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #596 of 6,432

recently had a argument with a "friend" of mine, he recently bought a logitech G35 gaming headset and was bragging about the great soudstage he was getting from them (being able to camp and hear steps of other players coming along) if you search up the G35, you'll find that they're in fact closed headsets meaning soundstage is greatly diminished compared to other headphones of the open design (minus those who have limited soundstage even thought they're open), anywho, I tried to explain to him no amount of software can increase the soundstage to a level comparable to a open headphone (not all, but many that have great soundstage) and he goes on explaining to me how the phones I showed him (AD700, HD600) weren't comparable to the G35 because they didn't have a crystal clear mic...a pointless rebuttal to my argument...and then he goes on about how the G35's are superior because they aren't a "two piece phone"...what is this...swimsuit season? I go on explaining how many phones aren't designed to fold for portability so they're perfectly suitable for gaming. In the end, he starts questioning my experience with gaming...claiming I wouldn't know what is needed/preferred for gaming, sure, from years of casual gaming, i can already guess...either way, he already made up excuses to stand by those phones so i kinda just gave up on him. anywho, many problems with those phones for gaming, they're closed so the soundstage is smaller than many open phones, a pleather ear pad that goes around the ear can cause the ears to get very quickly, bass can get in the way of hearing more details (at first, he argued with me, saying they were a little bass light but that is all right, guess he expected me to want more bass) anywho lesson learned, leave non audioplhiles in there rut if they want to stay there

Lol IMO if all he does is game let him do wat he wants with the g35. I own a pair of them and previously thought they were sufficient for my needs but all i did was game before and never expected high performance for music. They do get the job done for gaming but tbh a 25 dollar logi headset could have as well. They are just not worth the $130 price tag. I was just an idiot at the time and wantin a matching headset since I have g series mouse and kb

But now since I've pretty muchgrown bored of videogames I really regret the purchase lol 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #597 of 6,432

Quote:
I let my 2nd aunt and cousin try my Senn's out with amp and DAC. 

Aunt- Wow. The bass is amazing. I like the drums.
Cousin- Yeah.

My cousin is now going to go out and get a pair of Beat (Solos) because he wants stylish headphones. He said out loud that he didn't care about sound as much as bass and the way they look.
I said I got a headphone amp. He asked, "So it can play louder?" I let my cousin listen my $500 setup and now he is going to buy a pair of $200 over marketed pieces of s***. 
I know some Head-Fi'er may take offense to this because it sounds like I am being condescending, but it gets better...
I said I loved my computer that I built. He asked, Is it fast? I said yes, I use it for gaming. Then he says, If it's fast how come it only has one CD drive?
I am not kidding.

At least my aunt, a musician, appreciated my setup.

Notes: He also was about to audition my headphone with music off of YouTube. I tried to explain the simple concept of music quality...to no avail. I forced him to listen to some dubstep in 320kbps.
He asked if the headphones would still play loud without the amp and DAC...after I explained to him what the amp was for.
He is a numb skull and dropped out of school. He is only one year older too.

/End of Rant

No offense but your cousin is a knuckle head
beyersmile.png

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #599 of 6,432

Quote:

Lol IMO if all he does is game let him do wat he wants with the g35. I own a pair of them and previously thought they were sufficient for my needs but all i did was game before and never expected high performance for music. They do get the job done for gaming but tbh a 25 dollar logi headset could have as well. They are just not worth the $130 price tag. I was just an idiot at the time and wantin a matching headset since I have g series mouse and kbBut now since I've pretty muchgrown bored of videogames I really regret the purchase lol  

well, at least you didn't get the WoW (world of warcraft) branded keyboard, mouse, headset and sippy cup...

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #600 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Lol IMO if all he does is game let him do wat he wants with the g35. I own a pair of them and previously thought they were sufficient for my needs but all i did was game before and never expected high performance for music. They do get the job done for gaming but tbh a 25 dollar logi headset could have as well. They are just not worth the $130 price tag. I was just an idiot at the time and wantin a matching headset since I have g series mouse and kbBut now since I've pretty muchgrown bored of videogames I really regret the purchase lol  

well, at least you didn't get the WoW (world of warcraft) branded keyboard, mouse, headset and sippy cup...

holyfudge they seriously have those?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back