Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #526 of 6,432
We had relatives around on Boxing Day and the conversation came round to headphones after I said that I ordered another pair on Christmas Day off ebay. They understood about my collection and the cost better after it was compared to what some of them (well the ladies) had spent on shoes in the sales that day and how many shoes they have. Now it all makes sense to them.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #527 of 6,432
yesterday, i went to a sony center, and asked for a laptop..
the sales spotted my M50, and asks for it..
he shows me the SA3k, which is more expensive..

i gave him a try, and he is like, wow, this sound so clear!
never heard like this before..

lol, im soooo, satisfied..

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #528 of 6,432

Quote:
yesterday, i went to a sony center, and asked for a laptop..
the sales spotted my M50, and asks for it..
he shows me the SA3k, which is more expensive..

i gave him a try, and he is like, wow, this sound so clear!
never heard like this before..

lol, im soooo, satisfied..

...did you try the SA3000s yourself? And where do you live? You can get them for the same price in the US.

I just realized I hadn't posted here yet. I have a few interesting stories.

So one of my friends was messing with my (already somewhat broken) MTPC, which horrified me. He asked why, and how much the cost. "$400. (which is technically true. that's their MSRP.), but I got them for free from Monster." "Dude. You're insane." *tries them* "Dude. these are insane. I'm sorry."
And the K271 is the WORST headphone to bring to impress people that aren't band geeks. Apparently.
And I was rocking my Beyerdynamic DT220s and my friend said "Hey, why didn't you get the DT770? I bet it's better since the number's bigger." "...no it's not. I hated the DT770." "Freak."
blink.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #529 of 6,432

Yesterday I let my friend listen to my dt 990s I just got. Some funny things he said:
"Whoa I can hear stuff I never noticed before"
A few minutes of listening later: " dude.. my skull candies are garbage"

I think I convinced him to get the srh750djs sometime in the future :D

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #530 of 6,432
I am now in the position where one of my friends want to buy the Beats Solos and my duty as an educated audiophile is to make sure he doesn't. I'm going to let him try my Denon D1100s and see what he thinks.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #531 of 6,432

Quote:
I am now in the position where one of my friends want to buy the Beats Solos and my duty as an educated audiophile is to make sure he doesn't. I'm going to let him try my Denon D1100s and see what he thinks.

try him on the Ultrasone HFI series if you can, I A-B them at a store, the ultrasones basically do everything the beats do, but better and properly. as well as everything the beats could only dream of doing.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #532 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

try him on the Ultrasone HFI series if you can, I A-B them at a store, the ultrasones basically do everything the beats do, but better and properly. as well as everything the beats could only dream of doing.

Yeah HFI 580's  would be a good alternative, And Audio Technica ES7 would also be good if they have to be portable.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #533 of 6,432
I took my Alessandro MS-1s and Fiio E7 to my folks place for our Christmas getaway. I keep looking for them and find that my Dad has snuck off with them to use with his Macbook. He said the clarity was "amazing". Wish I brought my RS-1s now :wink:

Best non-audiophile reaction was from my sister in-law who insisted on trying the MS-1s for a good 20 minutes with various styles of music. After a while she said "I love it how the instruments are all separated and sound like they are where they are supposed to be". She got a good present from me this year after winning my audiophile respect!

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #534 of 6,432
yea I'm trying do decide between the MS-2 and 325I if I get the 325i I can buy them from a store in portland and have a good warrenty, but no place near oregon sells MS-2

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #535 of 6,432
I remember once I brought my DT770's to work (like last year or so) and one of the stockers said "Dude, those things are huge, I bet they get real loud!"....... I had this face on after he said that  
blink.gif

If only he was more educated!!!

I remember another time I had my HD600's on the bus and I got odd stares from everyone, then I saw one guy give me a thumbs up.... must have known what they were....

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #536 of 6,432

Quote:
I remember once I brought my DT770's to work (like last year or so) and one of the stockers said "Dude, those things are huge, I bet they get real loud!"....... I had this face on after he said that  
blink.gif

I once let a friend borrow my m50's to give them a try, and he goes, "dude... these are AWESOME! They blast like none other!" I was pretty proud of myself, until he decided to take them off, wear them on his neck, and turn his ipod all the way up, "dude, these are like tiny little speakers!"

I gave him a good smack on the head after that one...

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #537 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

I once let a friend borrow my m50's to give them a try, and he goes, "dude... these are AWESOME! They blast like none other!" I was pretty proud of myself, until he decided to take them off, wear them on his neck, and turn his ipod all the way up, "dude, these are like tiny little speakers!"

I gave him a good smack on the head after that one...

I would have gotten the beatin stick out.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #538 of 6,432
Maybe I should have.... but I turned him onto a set of DT770/80Ohm.... but he killed the right driver from too loud of volumes.

Youth these days! And no wonder why everyone ig going deaf early in their life. It's because they listen way too loud!

But yeah a few of my managers do not even want to try a set of any of my headphones. They said they "don't want to be sucked in". I think being bitten is a more proper description, being bitten by the Audiophile bug and contracting the devastating Audiophile Virus! Umbrella would kill to get this (Resident Evil joke..)

Quote:

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #539 of 6,432

Quote:
Maybe I should have.... but I turned him onto a set of DT770/80Ohm.... but he killed the right driver from too loud of volumes.

Youth these days! And no wonder why everyone ig going deaf early in their life. It's because they listen way too loud!

But yeah a few of my managers do not even want to try a set of any of my headphones. They said they "don't want to be sucked in". I think being bitten is a more proper description, being bitten by the Audiophile bug and contracting the devastating Audiophile Virus! Umbrella would kill to get this (Resident Evil joke..)

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yea I see that I have been told I listen to music pretty loud...but I listen to my amp at a nice 7-10 and my Ipod at about 45, my
friend came over, put on my grados*loud period* and turned it up to 100, I nearly slapped my headphones off his head and threw him out of my chair. then hit pause because I didnt want my grados to die.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #540 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yea I see that I have been told I listen to music pretty loud...but I listen to my amp at a nice 7-10 and my Ipod at about 45, my
friend came over, put on my grados*loud period* and turned it up to 100, I nearly slapped my headphones off his head and threw him out of my chair. then hit pause because I didnt want my grados to die.

And this is why the EU put volume limiter regulations on players...mainly cuz of this idioticness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back