Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #496 of 6,432
My girlfriend hated the PX200-IIs, hates the HD25s, calls them boring because of the neutral sound (I love them to bits, the sound sig is about the same), but when listening to Nine Inch Nails' "Piggy" on my big HD558s, she said it was the first time she ever really "heard" the song and now she's wants my cans for ocassional listening late at night.
Problem is, she's used to Sony IEMs that come with Walkman phones - bloaty bass, in-your-head sound. I forgive her, though.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #497 of 6,432
Quote:
"Not bad" - after listening to the T1.

I'll make the father in law listen to the LCD-2 in a few hrs when he gets back :D

That could be so mean, next thing he will crave for their sound if the sound of that headphone is really that good as has been written. Be sure to use toe tapping knock your socks off music :wink:...

ZMD, if I am correct the HD558/598 is more neutral warmish but when shortly auditioning them I did not like the bass response... 

P.S. Post 2000 for what it is worth.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #498 of 6,432
You are correct. I'm thinking of dumping them on her - the HD558s, modded - where they'll receive limited head-time. They're quite good for games, but rock/metal is brutal with the HD25s!

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #499 of 6,432
I used a Rock/Metal sample during auditioning and the violence in stereo did not sound violent for me, rather tame... Something from Dream Theater's "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" if I am correct. Even my standard HD428 was better for Rock/Metal...

Recently I gave away my recabled HD428 to a friend, he loves them if I am correct. He likes good acoustic renditions and Rock and those are areas where the HD428 can be unexpectedly good without amplification. 

The stock HD428 made a very favourable impression on a seasoned audiophile during a Head-Fi-meet. My old neighbour has it now and he is a full time musician and he seemed very pleased with it...

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #500 of 6,432
not exactly "Audio phile" but I got my grandma to listen to my sennheiser HD448 and she just about came unglued. So I decided to give them yo her for Christmas HAHAH, but She has some older headphones, She pretty much described the CD10's so I must wait and see she could just not have them amped and playing out of a crappy boom box.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #501 of 6,432
Yay for Grams! 
beyersmile.png

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #502 of 6,432
When my girlfriend listened to my HD555 (modded to 595), she was blown away by the detail and loved the soundstage when watching House M.D. I eventually gave her my CX300II for her daily commute and she also loved them, as she was used to very very cheap ear buds.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #503 of 6,432
I also remember when I went to college I was using the ubiquitous CX300 and everyone else was using their crappy Apple buds. My colleagues said that I was crazy for shelling out 45€ for some phones, but as I would let them try the Senn's, some of them ended up actually buying them and even thanked me for letting them "see the light"! 
etysmile.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #504 of 6,432

Quote:
Back when I had my Atrio M5s my friend A/Bed them with his cx300-ii. He thought that the cx300-ii sounded better. Wasn't too impressed with the IE8 either. I guess he's just destined to stick to stuff with big boomy bass.

And that can eventually result in partial hearing loss even if that noise is at an extremely low volume. One of the major trouble signs of such messed-up hearing is if the deepest male voice (in real life, not reproduced through headphones or loudspeakers) sounds way too bright and thin and/or way over-shouty. I learned this from my own experience, and it took me several years of not listening to such overly boomy and/or sizzly stuff to regain most of my hearing balance.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #505 of 6,432
None of my friends have ever been too impressed with my HiFi stuff... never got anything more than a "sounds good" when i had my SR225i/HF-1, and no one I bring into my room really comments on how my speakers sound. They may say something about all the equipment tho.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #506 of 6,432
I think non Audiophiles think that headphones are just a means to listen to sounds not "experience music" they just think sound is sound*rephrasing quote from a idiot friend of mine "lag is lag" talking about frame rate being the same as ping* where as an audiophile knows that sound is indeed not just sound.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #507 of 6,432
When my GF heard the HD25-1 she was alot more impress by them then I was...but then again I was really deaf to sound, only bass did I hear, 2 month with HD25-1 and I enjoy the balanced sound haha

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #508 of 6,432
I got a pair of Koss UR 20's (~$20 I think) today and had to try them out -

I had a friend try out the IE8's first with comply tips, followed by Shure SE115's with the olives, and then the Koss UR 20's all played through a FiiO E7 hooked up to the computer.

I was hoping somebody who doesn't listen to music much would be able to see the large difference in these headphones. - In the end, they told me that the Koss was more comfortable, but the two in-ears sounded better. They said the IE8's and 115's sounded exactly the same too, ha.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #509 of 6,432

The IE8 has wayyyy more bass how can he not hear that?
Quote:

I had a friend try out the IE8's first with comply tips, followed by Shure SE115's with the olives, and then the Koss UR 20's all played through a FiiO E7 hooked up to the computer.

I was hoping somebody who doesn't listen to music much would be able to see the large difference in these headphones. - In the end, they told me that the Koss was more comfortable, but the two in-ears sounded better. They said the IE8's and 115's sounded exactly the same too, ha.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #510 of 6,432
Or did u leave it to the minimum bass setting?

Quote:
The IE8 has wayyyy more bass how can he not hear that?
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back