Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #556 of 6,432
When I had AD700, SRH440 and Alessandro MS1, I got a few friends to try them out.

Their reactions about the AD700:

"Wow, it's like having headphones made of air"
"How can the sound sound like it's coming from everywhere?"
"I've never heard that part of the song before"

Their reactions about the SRH440:
"Wow, the bass on these is clear"
"That guitar sounds really nice"

Their reactions about the MS1:

"Sounds very lively"
"Guitars sound amazing"

And they told me I was wasting my time :D

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #557 of 6,432
I let my 2nd aunt and cousin try my Senn's out with amp and DAC. 

Aunt- Wow. The bass is amazing. I like the drums.
Cousin- Yeah.

My cousin is now going to go out and get a pair of Beat (Solos) because he wants stylish headphones. He said out loud that he didn't care about sound as much as bass and the way they look.
I said I got a headphone amp. He asked, "So it can play louder?" I let my cousin listen my $500 setup and now he is going to buy a pair of $200 over marketed pieces of s***. 
I know some Head-Fi'er may take offense to this because it sounds like I am being condescending, but it gets better...
I said I loved my computer that I built. He asked, Is it fast? I said yes, I use it for gaming. Then he says, If it's fast how come it only has one CD drive?
I am not kidding.

At least my aunt, a musician, appreciated my setup.

Notes: He also was about to audition my headphone with music off of YouTube. I tried to explain the simple concept of music quality...to no avail. I forced him to listen to some dubstep in 320kbps.
He asked if the headphones would still play loud without the amp and DAC...after I explained to him what the amp was for.
He is a numb skull and dropped out of school. He is only one year older too.

/End of Rant

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #558 of 6,432

Quote:

Cousin- Yeah.

My cousin is now going to go out and get a pair of Beat (Solos) because he wants stylish headphones. He said out loud that he didn't care about sound as much as bass and the way they look.
I said I got a headphone amp. He asked, "So it can play louder?" I let my cousin listen my $500 setup and now he is going to buy a pair of $200 over marketed pieces of s***. 
I know some Head-Fi'er may take offense to this because it sounds like I am being condescending, but it gets better...
I said I loved my computer that I built. He asked, Is it fast? I said yes, I use it for gaming. Then he says, If it's fast how come it only has one CD drive?
I am not kidding.

Notes: He also was about to audition my headphone with music off of YouTube. I tried to explain the simple concept of music quality...to no avail. I forced him to listen to some dubstep in 320kbps.
He asked if the headphones would still play loud without the amp and DAC...after I explained to him what the amp was for.

/End of Rant

Not condescending at all.  And I do mean that.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #559 of 6,432

Quote:

Cousin- Yeah.

I am not kidding.

/End of Rant

yea, people really only see headphones as a means of getting sound out of some audio device.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #560 of 6,432
How can anyone drop out of an American school (not including colleges)??? I don't mean to be mean, but the school system is seriously dumbed down for all idiots... I thought we were under the "no student left behind" act. If you have to drop out of that, then...

Quote:
. He is a numb skull and dropped out of school. He is only one year older too.

/End of Rant

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #562 of 6,432

Quote:
How can anyone drop out of an American school (not including colleges)??? I don't mean to be mean, but the school system is seriously dumbed down for all idiots... I thought we were under the "no student left behind" act. If you have to drop out of that, then...

Quote:

/End of Rant

No, he failed several classes and he's gotten into a bit of trouble. He was kicked out (suspended) for a period of time, he just stopped going after that. 
He is < an idiot. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #563 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

/End of Rant

A class is only as good as its dumbest student.

I'm disregarding honors/AP classes.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #564 of 6,432
I use cross-fade and stereo width adjustments to increase perceived soundstage, and oversampling to increase perceived treble detail. I think it works rather well, but yes, you can still hear differences between soundstage on a full-size can versus an IEM.

Quote:

"...nor can you EQ in soundstage or detail.  With reasonably priced consumer equipment/software you can't EQ the extremely sharp gradients that can occur in transducer frequency response (particularly headphones), either...)

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #565 of 6,432
Nobody understands audiophilia until they try it. Sometimes the easiest way to turn someone into an audiophile isn't letting them try your $500 setup, it's letting them try your PortaPros. That's something that will genuinely wow them for the price and often they will buy themselves a pair (from personal experience I can cite four times this has happened, and I only owned PortaPros for a short while). Now you've planted that seed, that knowledge that some headphones are better than others. Some will forever remain content with PortaPros or PX100s or whatever other low-end pair you wowed them with. Some will eventually want more.

But the thing is, the beginner audiophile can't hear the differences between PortaPros and HD650s (for example). Or they can, but they can't mentally distinguish between them. The biggest difference they CAN see is the price tag. They will be wowed by that sound for $30. They will not be wowed by it for $300. The differences between HD650s and PortaPros that make us think the HD650 is a good value are not noticeable to an audio noob, and they will see the high price tag and write off audio as too expensive a hobby. If you want to convert your friends/family/whomever, get a pair of PortaPros or KSC75s or PX100s or whatever else would not make a significant dent in their wallets. If they like that, they likely won't have a problem shelling out $15-30 to get a pair.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #566 of 6,432

Quote:
I am not kidding

how sad. I built my computer when I was twelve. I'm still my dad's wallet's slave.

no one understands us. my sister said "it sounds good" and continued watching her korean drama.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #567 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
I am not kidding

how sad. I built my computer when I was twelve. I'm still my dad's wallet's slave.

no one understands us. my sister said "it sounds good" and continued watching her korean drama.

I asked to build a computer when I was 12. My parents thought I didn't have the tenacity. Two years later they surprised one day and took me to MicroCenter for getting good grades. $800 and they didn't budge. I wish that happened more often. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #568 of 6,432

Quote:
But the thing is, the beginner audiophile can't hear the differences between PortaPros and HD650s (for example). Or they can, but they can't mentally distinguish between them. The biggest difference they CAN see is the price tag. They will be wowed by that sound for $30. They will not be wowed by it for $300. The differences between HD650s and PortaPros that make us think the HD650 is a good value are not noticeable to an audio noob, and they will see the high price tag and write off audio as too expensive a hobby. If you want to convert your friends/family/whomever, get a pair of PortaPros or KSC75s or PX100s or whatever else would not make a significant dent in their wallets. If they like that, they likely won't have a problem shelling out $15-30 to get a pair.

Yeah that's it, trick them into thinking they can afford it with cheap better sounding HP's then give them this website and check in on them a year later.....
devil_face.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #569 of 6,432
My gf preferred the Beats Solo over my previous ATH ES7s. Beats Solo do sound very warm, but the detail was just terrible. Anyways, I bought her the Beats as a present.

Then a few months later, I had the audacity to give her ATH ESW10JPN. Freaking paid $650 for these headphones... She says they are better but she likes the Beats sometimes too. She says the ESW10JPNs are a bit bright sometimes.

Sometimes audiophiles just don't know how bright their headphones actually are. We all know that movie soundtracks get louder near the end because our hearing gets desensitized from an hour+ worth of sound from large speakers. Using my headphones for the first time after a vacation of about a month, my headphones sounded unbearably bright at ANY volume. Even when it was so quiet that I can't even hear the bass. This just makes me wonder how bad this hobby may be on our hearing. Constantly desensitizing our ears everyday for several hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back